Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1 eye or 2

Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: 1 eye or 2

I don't know on this, but I think that if you can shoot with both eyes open you should be able to shoot right or left? The more I think about it the more confused I become. What difference does it make if I sight my bow in to which ever eye I am used to shooting with. Will I shoot better switching to left? Please explain if any one can. How does eye dominace effect my shooting ?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I may be ignorant here, but how do you tell which eye is dominant?
http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I personally come to full draw with my left eye closed and once im in my anchor and have the pin settled over my target i open my other left eye. So both.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 07tomkat

This topic got me pretty interested and I decided to go home and shoot yesterday to try some varying techniques. I shoot right handed w/ left eye closed and have been doing so for years.

When I started shooting yesterday I started regular to get a few shots in to get warmed up. I then decided to try to shoot with both eyes open. I pulled back and the peep sight seemed to be a blur but I could see the pins pretty well. I do wear glasses when I shoot. I kept my same anchor points and didn't shoot to bad despite 1 miss when I lost focus. I think with some practice two eyes open can be very beneficial.

Regarding the eye dominance issue, I tried the suggested dominance test and found out that I am left eye dominant but have been shooting right handed bows/rifles all my life (w/ left eye closed). Do you think there would be a substantial enough difference inperformance to switch to shooting left handed though?
The couple guys I know that did it, said it was worth it. One was my brother in law andhe is a MUCH better archer now in all aspects. Took him a little while to get used to it, as he was shooting RH for about 15yrs prior.

For you, if you do stay shooting RH....I would shoot with your Left eye closed. Trying to shoot both eyes open, it will inevitably try to take over....even if you practice and have pretty good results most of the time. Last thing you need is for it to happen on the shot of a lifetime.

ORIGINAL: ILLUSION HUNTER

I don't know on this, but I think that if you can shoot with both eyes open you should be able to shoot right or left? The more I think about it the more confused I become. What difference does it make if I sight my bow in to which ever eye I am used to shooting with. Will I shoot better switching to left? Please explain if any one can. How does eye dominace effect my shooting ?
IH....not following you. ? If you are shooting a right handed bow, I can only assume your right eye looks through your peep, thus you are sighting with your right eye. I doubt you are looking through the peep with your left eye. ? Maybe you don't shoot a peep? Please elaborate, I'm confused now [8D]

The bottom line is...everyone has a dominant eye that will try to be "dominant", which is why you should try to use that to your advantage, rather than against you. There is always the exception to the rule, butthe majorityof people will be a much better archer using their dominant eye.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Spike

Sorry for the confusion. I shoot with my left eye closed and it works good for me. But after doing the eye dominant test I found that I am left eye dominant. I guess I am confused on how that effects my shooting. Does it only make a difference when shooting with both eyes open? I'd like to shoot with both eyes open, but will that be more difficult for me if I shoot right handed?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotcha. Yes, it only matters with both eyes open. If you shoot both eyes open in your situation, your left eye will try to take over just by the nature of it being dominant. If that happens (and you may not know it until you release) your arrow will fly VERY wide, lots of times missing the target by a good bit. You may also experience a bad case of double vision trying to sight properly. I'm certainly not "the expert" but from what I've seen and the folks I have dealt with, its tough to shoot both eyes open unless your dominant eye is sighting through the peep (or whatever you use). Best is probably to continue to shoot one eye closed, unless you want to switch to a LH bow. You can still be very accurate as you do now, leaving the dom eye out of the equation. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Spike

Cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I was panicing for nothing thinking that my shooting was not as accurate as it should be cause I use the wrong eye. I think for me I'll stick to closing one eye cause I can't see me shooting a LH bow.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ILLUSION HUNTER

Cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I was panicing for nothing thinking that my shooting was not as accurate as it should be cause I use the wrong eye. I think for me I'll stick to closing one eye cause I can't see me shooting a LH bow.
I shot (hunted) for 15 years as a right hander that knew he was left eye dominant. I taught myself to close my left eye. This is how you are and will have to shoot if you want to remain shooting RH. I decided that I wanted to get more serious about my shooting and take advantage of the opportunity to start from scratch knowing what I know now and having access to the insight that I do now. It was honestly the best thing that I have done archerywise ever. Don't be afraid surprising yourself. The switch was natural, I mean that. It didn't take much at all to feel right at home drawing a left handed bow. Good luck in whatever you do with it. I love being able to shoot both fairly well and the big advantage is I can shoot lefthanded with bow eyes open while using my dominant eye. Yeah, there ain't as many deals on bows out there but the heck with it.[8D]