Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1 eye or 2

Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1 eye or 2

Both open for the past 20yrs, makes a HUGE difference, imo. When I started I shot one closed....so glad I switched. Teaching my son 2 eyes open from the get go and so far he's doing well. If you are having trouble, just practice alot - you will get used to it, as awkward as it may seem at the start. Yeah, you might get a flyer now and then that misses wide - but once you get it down, you will be happy you did. I too feel eye dominance makes a HUGE difference in two eyes open. If your dominant eye is on the off side, you will fight it constantly.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Spike

I may be ignorant here, but how do you tell which eye is dominant?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

IH...here's how I have people do it...that is fairly easy to explain (I hope)

Hold your arm out in front of you and make a circle with your finger tips and thumb. Center something across the room in the circle - door knob, lamp, lightswitch, etc. Now, with both eyes open, focus on the objectwhile you slowly bring your hand towards your face. The "circle" will go to your dominant eye automatically, with the object still centered in it. Most folks will shootmuch better if they are shooting with theirdominant eye.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM

The following is from a backyard shooter / bowhunter:

I don't think about it, but I close one eye. I shoot a bow like a pistol, focus is on the front sight. I know where the pin is on the target, but clear focus, especially at release, is on the pin. I only see the arrow in flight at longer distances.If I don't keep focus on the sight my shot doesn't hit where I want.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

OCD- That's a tough way to shoot!! Are you saying you concentrate and have the pin in focus with the target out of focus? IMHO- I think that if you practice during this off season concentrating on the target and keeping it in focus while being aware of where the pin is you'll notice a big improvement in your shooting. I wouldn't get intothe habit of watching the arrow in flight either.

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

OCD, i dont understand how you shoot the way you do, but if thats what works for you, then do what works is the way i believe! When TP is getting at me (it happens every once in a while) I always realize that i am not focusing on the target and am focusing on the pin. Like i said tho, if that makes your shots, then it sounds good to me...

I shoot with both eyes open 95% of the time, but there are times when i find it convenient to shoot with just one, weather it be b/c of glare or lighting condition or whatever. Idk when i noticed that i shoot with both eyes open, but its just what worked for me. I never really tried to do it, it just came naturally.

Derek
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

well from what im seeing its all in personal prefrense. i no im more accurate with one closed, but i have done that since i started. Im tryin to keep them both open but in alot of light i cant do it. when its a little dim i can becuase my pins are bright. I have .019 but they are bright i have to focus on my pin and put it on the target or cover my fibers up or they are to bright. 2 me it seems its up to u, shot the way u want and whats working for u.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

This topic got me pretty interested and I decided to go home and shoot yesterday to try some varying techniques. I shoot right handed w/ left eye closed and have been doing so for years.

When I started shooting yesterday I started regular to get a few shots in to get warmed up. I then decided to try to shoot with both eyes open. I pulled back and the peep sight seemed to be a blur but I could see the pins pretty well. I do wear glasses when I shoot. I kept my same anchor points and didn't shoot to bad despite 1 miss when I lost focus. I think with some practice two eyes open can be very beneficial.

Regarding the eye dominance issue, I tried the suggested dominance test and found out that I am left eye dominant but have been shooting right handed bows/rifles all my life (w/ left eye closed). Do you think there would be a substantial enough difference inperformance to switch to shooting left handed though?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Spike

**** I'm left eye dominant! Hopefully I can learn to shoot with both eyes open, cause theres no way I'm shooting left handed.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make the switch when your financial means allow. It's worth it. Trust me. I did it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.