Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Difference in XT and Pro Hunter Gold tips? >

Difference in XT and Pro Hunter Gold tips?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Difference in XT and Pro Hunter Gold tips?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference in XT and Pro Hunter Gold tips?

Man, I thought I just found the best arrow for the money. [:@]

I'm looking for the best shaft for the money to replace my worn out XT's. I'm hesitant to go with the CX's as I've heard the durability just isn't what GT's are. But they're supposedly more consistant spine wise.

What the heck is a prospective buyer supposed to do?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the money I would, and do, buy Carbon Tech Whitetail XP's. They are as straight, or straighter, than anything out there. I tested the spine on some of my 2+ yr old shafts with 1000's of shots through them and the variation was .005 on most and about .008 on a couple.

The Whitetail XP's are expensive compared to some others but their tolerances, durability and made in the USA are worth it for me.

The Cheetah Hunters are less expensive and almost as good tolerance-wise but their durability under abuse LOL is not as good as the Whitetails.

There are also less expensive Whitetails (non XP version) but I do not have experience with them. The only difference is supposed to be the straightness.

Regardless of shaft, I think Carbon Tech arrows would make anyone happy.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/index.php?cPath=38_79_65&sort=3a&filter_id =82
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Man, I thought I just found the best arrow for the money. [:@]

I'm looking for the best shaft for the money to replace my worn out XT's. I'm hesitant to go with the CX's as I've heard the durability just isn't what GT's are. But they're supposedly more consistant spine wise.

What the heck is a prospective buyer supposed to do?
They may very well be a "best bang for the buck", Muzz. Like I said, the dozen I checked out were pretty good. That said, I see online the Beman ICSH for $5-10 cheaper per dozen vs. the Victory V3 arrows. If weight is an issue with ICSH you can drop some weight (about 15-18 grains or so) with the new Easton micro insert and nock. Also a Beman dealer can get you the Elite series shafts and these ar eunder a 100 bucks most places (.001 straightness)

My point was that the tolerances Victory quoted me are kinda sloppy and the whole " we try to" thing rubbed me the wrong way. I'd be willing to try a half dozen of the V1s to give them a fair shake but cannot find them in half dozens.

CarbonTech Whitetail (standard .005) area phenomenally spined shaft for only about 10 bucks more a dozen than the Victory V3s. Just cut from both ends. Only one (major) prob with CT- they do not offer a 340 class spine-only .400 or .300. Neither of which work for my setup.

Bottom line- if you liked your Goldtips, you are not taking a step back with the Victorys. Likely you'll be just as happy with them. Otherwise I'd recommend the Beman ICSH/ICSH Elite for a .340 type spine. If you need a .400 spine, the CarbonTech standard Whitetails are the way to go for just a few dollars more than the Victorys (keep in mind the Whitetails are not as durable as either the ICSH or Goldtips)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, you seem to know your stuff with arrows. I'm just investigating this more now adays. I've been more than happy with the GT XT's I've been shooting, other than the occasional flyer. I'd really like to stay with an arrow above 8gpi and preferably would like something a bit heavier than that. My XT's finished weighted 370. I'd like to see if I can get a bit heavier than that. Perhaps going to different components to add a smidge more weight would do the trick.

I'm leaning heavily on the GT Pro Hunters, just because I'm comfortable with that shaft and know they work.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What spine do you need?

Like I said- I'd avoid Goldtips these days as you won't know if you are getting Victory built ones, or the new (old crap machinery) ones-

I'd go with Victorys- it's essentially the same thing or better than the best that Goldtip has offered.

If you'd like and can use a .400 spine, I've got a half dozen ICS Hunter 400s (around 28") you could check out to see if you like them-they weigh in the 386-388 grain range w/ Blazers and 100 grain points. Just pay the shipping.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

CarbonTech Whitetail (standard .005) area phenomenally spined shaft for only about 10 bucks more a dozen than the Victory V3s. Just cut from both ends. Only one (major) prob with CT- they do not offer a 340 class spine-only .400 or .300. Neither of which work for my setup.
Have you ever used 50gr or 100gr brass inserts? They make using stiffer spines much easier. You can still use 100-125gr tips if that is what you are particular too. I use the 100gr brass inserts with the .300 spine and it works out great with a variety of tip weights. All I do is change the DW to accomodate the change in tip weight.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=0255X
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Have you ever used 50gr or 100gr brass inserts? They make using stiffer spines much easier. You can still use 100-125gr tips if that is what you are particular too. I use the 100gr brass inserts with the .300 spine and it works out great with a variety of tip weights. All I do is change the DW to accomodate the change in tip weight.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=0255X
Oh I know I could weaken a .300 shaft sufficiently if I really wanted too- problem is I don't want all the added weight!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, thanks for the offer bud, I really appreciate it. I actually have some Bemans laying around. I shot them years ago and then went to Gold Tips. Nothing wrong with them, just went elsewhere for whatever reason. Maybe I'll get them ready and shoot them for a bit to see what I have.