Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived >

Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived

Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived

Well I got the call last Monday from the shop that my LH Admiral had finally arrived after 8 weeks of waiting and some phone calls. Couldn't go to pick the bow up until Saturday due to being away at school so I had to wait a few more days. Well I got to the shop and he had it all set up with accessories listed below in my signature and set at 28.5 inches and maxed out at 64 pounds and the first pin sighted in at 20 yards. Shot the bow a few times loved it but the cams really gain the last 5-10 pounds right at the end and after just a few shot I had to drop the weight down and down some more. I ended up around 52 pounds. Why you may ask well that is what college life (sitting around lazily listening to professors) and the inability to shoot your bow because the university won't let you have weapons in campus dorms will do to ya. I also think this is due to the change is cam styles from my previous bow. So then after that we ended up dropping the draw length down to 28 because I felt my arm was over extended and not bent at the elbow at full draw causing me to be less stable. The first and only problem with the Admiral was encountered with the adjustable draw stop at this point which is moved to adjust the feeling of the wall. Well bowtech put a Allen wrench head on the bolt which easily stripped out and the shop owner has had this happen on several occasions. So he got the dremel tool out and cut a groove so he could get a screw driver on the bolt then he could replace it with another he had from another bow. After all was said and done with that issue we tied in the peep and I shot a few more times to make sure everything else was ok. I was shooting very accurately and consistently from 20 yards. I loved the lack of vibration and noise from the bow. My friend came along with me too and I said "listen tell me what you hear" well I think he was a little surprised when I shot. He said well all I really could hear was the realease making noise and then the arrow hitting the target. The admiral and it's other CP friends has got to be some of the quietest bows to shoot from all the bows for 2009. I am glad I finally was able to pick it up I have been dreaming about my admiral for many weeks. Now onto accessories. Flashpoint sight I highly reccomend giving it a try. Picks up plenty of light inside if not the best lighting conditions and also on a sunny day with the ground covered in snow reflecting all kinds of light the cover over the fiber optics darkens so the pins are not overpowering with brightness. The ripcord rest Excelent rest and contains the arrow for hunting purposes no more grabbing the bow and holding down the arrow so it doesn't fall off the rest. I had no problems with clearance shooting blazers. I really liked the Octane stabilizer as well although the bow doesn't really need any weight up front to make it feel better in the hands what little vibration was there before is now really gone. I haven't got to shoot it much because I live in Ohio and don't have my own personal indoor range and it was really cold for me this weekend also had 4 ft drifts in the back yard making it hard to get out and around. Don't have pics right now but will try and get some next weekend and post them for all to see. Possibly with flashpoint when effected by lighting conditions as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived

Glad you finally got your bow!-

Yep that late peak will take some getting used to

I noticed that about the draw stop screw- in fact I thought I had stripped it as well. Def needs changing to something more rugged.

Who makes the flashpoint sight?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

black gold makes the flashpoint sight. They came out with a new model right after I bought my bow as well that has hand adjustment instead of using an allen wrench.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM

nice - i got a call on thursday last week that mine was in here ! i havent picked it up yet but that makes me nervous about the late peak i went from 60# to 70# so ill be in for some gettin used to !
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

black gold makes the flashpoint sight. They came out with a new model right after I bought my bow as well that has hand adjustment instead of using an allen wrench.
Make sure your draw length is not too long. Once it's set correct you'll adjust to the Draw quickly.

Dan
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM

congrats hope ya love it!!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

MeanV2

Yeah I had to adjust my draw length. We started out at 28.5 and 64 LBS went down to 28 and about 52 Lbs. Once I shortened the draw length it was much easier to pull the bow and get past the peak. Odd how I went from a 29 in. draw on my previous bow to a 28 on the admiral. I haven't shot it a whole lot because after the first couple long draw length/heavier poundage shots my shoulder started to get really sore at the shop and I haven't been home to shoot it. Just to show how out of shape I am from school. Those CP bows sure do take a whole lot of turns to get the bows from peak weight down to a lower poundage though.

JeffB

Once you get the screw out once if you don't super tighten it down it is much easier to move. For some reason also the demo bows that were sent out their screws are much easier to get out. The ones put on production bows seem almost like they have loctite on them.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lefty, That is one of the biggest problems I see day in day out. Guys shooting too long of a draw length, knowingly or unknowingly.
I can easily shoot a 28.5" to 29" on a target line, but in a hunting situation many times that extra draw length will cost you. When out of position, sitting, twisting, kneeling, that long draw length is harder to manage. I now shoot 28" and have never shot better.
I'm sure your draw length has Not changed, but the Admiral just magnified the fact you were a tad long.

It's amazing how much difference a 1/2" to an inch can make!

Dan
Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah 28.5 just felt unnatural but that half inch to 28 made a big difference. Now I just need to start shooting more so I can get my draw weight back up to where it should be.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the Bowtech.

Draw length is the single most important thing to get right on a bow, but for some reason, the most overlooked and abused spec. I can't even begin to tell you how many guys at my local shop are too long, some grossly too long. I can't wait to see some of these "long draw" archers start shooting these new super short brace height bows coming out.

Quick Reply: Well the Admiral has Finally Arrived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.