HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Rangefinders!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/284647-rangefinders.html)

birdbustin 01-29-2009 04:14 PM

Rangefinders!!!!

Looking to buy a rangefinder mainly for bow hunting but want to use it for rifle hunting as well. Never had one so I don't know much about them so all the info that everone tells me would be nice. The price don't matter just looking for the the right one to buy. (the best for my money)

Thank you to all that replies...

ZachCL 01-29-2009 04:25 PM

RE: Rangefinders!!!!

I have the bushnell scout 1000, I really like it. Has performed very well for me so far. I didnt get the arc model but I didnt really think I needed it. It will range a deer out to 308, anyways thats the farthest deer I ranged. Good luck with your search.

scarp262 01-29-2009 05:03 PM

My girl friend bought me a Nikon 550 Prostaff this year for Christmas. Seeing how it was late in the season when I got it I didnt have too much of an oppurtunity to test it in the field. I have had my share of playing with it though and I read a distance to about 400 yards. I am very impressed with it and would recomend them to anyone!

RLoving1 01-29-2009 07:41 PM

I bought a Nikon 440 last year,no bells or whistles just simple 2 mode(yards and meters) operation and it does great.I bought it on Ebay at a buy now price and it was around 149 then,works fine for no more than I require from one!Lighted readout woulda been nice but if I can't read numbers then I shouldn't be drawing on something.

MeanV2 01-29-2009 08:39 PM

I've owned Bushnells and Nikons. In my experience the Bushnells were the better rangefinder.

Dan

KodiakArcher 01-29-2009 10:25 PM

I've got the Leupold RX II and while I'm a HUGE Leupold fan, I just can't recommend the thing. It's completely andunnecessarily complex especially for a bowhunter. The angled distance calculator is an excellent feature if you're stalking in hilly terrain but a treestand hunter doesn't need it. If I had it to do over I'd go with the Bushnell.The Leupold just started freaking out this week so it's headed back to the factory for repairs.

bow_hunter44 01-30-2009 04:02 AM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

I've got the Leupold RX II and while I'm a HUGE Leupold fan, I just can't recommend the thing. It's completely andunnecessarily complex especially for a bowhunter. The angled distance calculator is an excellent feature if you're stalking in hilly terrain but a treestand hunter doesn't need it. If I had it to do over I'd go with the Bushnell.The Leupold just started freaking out this week so it's headed back to the factory for repairs.
Make that times two. I'm a huge Leupold fan and I have the RXII also. As far as the RXII goes, I just can't quite seem to learn to like using it. It is too freakin' difficult to operate. Sometimes it won't range an object that is, without question, rangeable. I had a Bushnell before I got the Leupold, it never failed. I will be trading range finders this fall - Leupold out, Bushnell or Nikon in.