HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow fletching help (Updated with Pics, page 2) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/284504-arrow-fletching-help-updated-pics-page-2-a.html)

Pops423 01-28-2009 11:19 AM

Arrow fletching help (Updated with Pics, page 2)

OK fellow hni'ers. I'm about to embark on a trip to Cabela's in the next week or so to pick up supplies to start fletching my own arrows. If you were getting started today, what supplies would you say are a must have!!

1. Jig
2. Extra Clamp?
3. Fletching - Going to try some different ones
4. Glue - Suggestions? I'm going to be fletching the following arrows
Goldtip
Eastons
Carbon Express
5. fletch removal tool - Suggestions?
6. what do you clean your shafts with?

Anything else a newbie is forgetting?

Thanks for the help.

JeffB 01-28-2009 12:35 PM

RE: Arrow fletching help

Extra clamp is not needed unless you mean you will be fletching in different orientations (R helical, L helical, straight, etc)

As for glue- Any of the good instant glues will work for most vanes-I liked the Pine Ridge and Goat tuff, and Arizon EZ gel. I like to use standard fletch tite/FT platinum with bohning blazer vanes or real feathers- takes longer but bonds better with those.

I bought one of those fletch scrapers around 15 years ago and used it two times- junk. I reccomend a stout blade that isn't too sharp to get off most of the vane and glue, then use very fine steel wool or *very* fine grit sandpaper to finish it off.

Clean/wipe down with Isopropyl 91% alcohol (make sure it's 91%)

Paper towel soaked in the alcohol is good for wiping along the base of the shaft if there is too much excess glue squeezing out- and soak the towel good- otherwise you'll have paper towel stuck to your arrow if using an instant/super glue.

Bohning PowerBond works great for inserts- 5 min or 24hr epoxy is good too, but powerbond is much more convenient, MUCH less messy and works just as well.

MeanV2 01-28-2009 12:54 PM

Jig- spend the money and get a Bitz, extra clamp probably not necessary.

Fletching- Blazers are most popular, but you can't beat Feathers for forgivness, and stability. They also aid in obtaining a good FOC

Glue- I've used all kinds, but Fletch-Tite Platinum is hard to beat. If you fletch feathers fletching tape works Great!

Arrows all you mentionedmake quality shafts. IMHO Carbon Express are the best all carbon shaft I have used.

You probably can do without a fletch removal tool also.

Best thing to clean your shafts with is Denatured Alcohol.

Have Fun!!

Dan

Pops423 01-29-2009 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. Any one have any good links to step-by step instructions? I searched but didn't really find anything.

claydee 02-01-2009 07:23 PM

Great post guys!!! I was also looking for the same info... Any sites with step by step would be great help!!!
Thanks!!!!

BGfisher 02-02-2009 05:39 AM

I'll second the recommendation about the Bitz. jig. It may cost more, but you cannot wear it out. Mine is pushing 35 years old. They are so good that the design virtually hasn't changed in all these years. Walk into any shop that fletches arrows and see what they are using. It speaks for itself.

Pops423 02-04-2009 10:48 AM

OK, so I took everyone's advice and bought the Bitzenberger Jig. It's now on the bench along with a bunch of Vanetec VMaxx vanes and a tube of glue.

I stripped the old fletching off about 6 arrows and now just need to clean up the old glue. I scraped off the vanes with an old dull blade. Got most of it off except the old glue. Which I'm struggling with. I bought some Isopropyl 91% alcohol (as explained above) but haven't had time to try it out. Hopefully in the next few days I will. I'm hoping by the weekend I've got a fletched arrow or two.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

hunting junkie 02-04-2009 07:26 PM

I know there not all the same but call ahead i was at my cabelas the other day and they didn't have
much for arrow making supplies.They did have it during season .

ampahunter 02-04-2009 08:17 PM

Get yourself a box cutter knife, do not try to get the blade too sharp as you don't want to skin the arrow, just remove the old glue. Cleaning shafts afteris explained above.
When fletching the vanes keep within 1/2" to 3/4" from nock, for good arrow flight.
Try not to 'squeeze' the tube of glue as you will have excess glue on the vanes, just let the glue flow itself and try to move smoothly along the'valley' of the vanes. Getting the glue to the side of the vanes will cause the glue to stick to the clamp and when removing the clamp you will also raise the vane away from the arrow. Not good, you'll have to start all over again!
Rub some string wax on the edges of the clamp so as to prevent the 'excess'glue from sticking to the clamp. Make sure the surface edges of the clamp is free of excess glue so the vanes will sit flat in the clamp.
Have fun!

Pops423 02-06-2009 05:51 AM

ampahunter, great advice. May give it a go later today. I think I finally have one arrow ready to go. Last person who fletched for me wasn't very neat and there is a ton of glue everywhere so it's taking a while.