Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne? >

So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

If you saw the draw force thread by Jeff C.- you'll know I'm interested in trying a fun experiment with a low brace, extremely agressive bow albeit at a very easy 50 pounds draw weight or so. While I've thought mainly of picking up the PSE X-Force, I realized there are other 6"-ish brace bows like the 82nd out there all pushing that 350 FPS mark

So what kind of performance are you getting? How do you think the bow handles for a lower brace burner? What can you tell me about this model- I've never even seen one. For those old BT guys (and I"m looking for the opinions of you BT staff guys too) how does it compare to the old Extreme VFT, Black Knight, etc?

I've seen some pretty impressive speeds listed at very low poundage and heavy(relatively- 7-9-ish grains per pound) on Youtube, however draw lengths were not mentioned.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

I love them! They are not quiet like most other new bows but... the speed certainly makes up for it imo. I had a 101st and it was a very accurate bow. With a 420gr. arrow at 61#'s my 101st shot 290fps at 29.5" draw. I never shot it with a hunting arrow at the lower poundages but i assume at around 54#'s it would have still shot the same arrow at about 270 or so which is plenty for hunting as you know. That was all out of a 101st which is roughly 10fps slower than the 82nd.

They are very accurate bows, and i wouldnt let the 6" BH scare you at all. I know many who shot them last year in 3d and did very well. Ive seen a couple 290+ scores from guys on a 30 target course!

When i shot my 101st at 53#'s i loved it. It was smooth and quieter with speed still. With my 308gr. Xringers it shot 299fps. With the same arrows at 61#'s it chucked them out at 320! No slouch at all lol!

Overall they are very good bows. They dont have some of the creature comforts like other new bows, but they perform WELL.

Derek

Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion doesn't count...[8D]
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

My opinion doesn't count...[8D]
Lol!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

I love them! They are not quiet like most other new bows but... the speed certainly makes up for it imo. I had a 101st and it was a very accurate bow. With a 420gr. arrow at 61#'s my 101st shot 290fps at 29.5" draw. I never shot it with a hunting arrow at the lower poundages but i assume at around 54#'s it would have still shot the same arrow at about 270 or so which is plenty for hunting as you know. That was all out of a 101st which is roughly 10fps slower than the 82nd.

They are very accurate bows, and i wouldnt let the 6" BH scare you at all. I know many who shot them last year in 3d and did very well. Ive seen a couple 290+ scores from guys on a 30 target course!

When i shot my 101st at 53#'s i loved it. It was smooth and quieter with speed still. With my 308gr. Xringers it shot 299fps. With the same arrows at 61#'s it chucked them out at 320! No slouch at all lol!

Overall they are very good bows. They dont have some of the creature comforts like other new bows, but they perform WELL.

Derek
excellent info- Thanks!

Pat- I said I DO wanna hear what you (and the other staffers) think- I knowy ou'll keep it on the striaght & narrow.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Btw, i know most of my post was about the performance/speed of the bows, but that is not all that is + about them by anymeans. I was just giving you the facts/numbers.

Derek
Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love mine....I shot mine at 50 pounds for about a week one time because I had a limb that had just started to splinter. My proshop checked it over and said that it would be ok to hunt with until my new limbs came in as long as I didn't do any heavy shooting. We just lowered the poundage down to 50 and I shot it a little bit... and was very impressed with the way it shot. It shot very fast and smooth for being at 50 pounds....

And please don't flame me for shooting with a limb problem. Yes, my shop cleared me, but I knew the risk of shooting it the way it was....I just wanted to hunt the last couple days of my season....it turned out ok, but I would most likely not do it again, nor would I recommend that anyone else do it..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 101st at ~61lbs (60lb limbs maxed out), and I've also shot Rob's 82nd at I believe 63-64lbs, and both were identical in their draw cycle (understandably so). I actually prefer the more definitive wall with a smaller valley. It forces me to anchor and hold consistently with little creep. These bows are shooters, and just like has been mentioned already, you can get great speeds even shooting lower poundage. So if you're not comfortable with the more aggressive draw cycle at 65 or 70lbs, take it down into the upper 50s, and as long as you're not a super small DL guy, you're going to still be shooting great speeds with a more comfortable draw.

In short, I love my 101st, and I will be shooting 3D with it this year as well as a little Vegas.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent posts/info! Thanks all- (and looking to hear from others as well)

Seems like the 82nd and Xforce are running similar real world speeds (in fact it seems the 82nd is doing better at the 28-29" draw lengths in my research) I'm also thinking the 82nd is more likely to be a "shooter" with a longer AtoA than the X.

Does the (2009) 82nd have the limb stops?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot mine at 68# and 30" of draw, and with a Carbon Express Terminator Lite Select (400 grains), it spits them out at 323 - 325 fps all day. Its for sale though.

Quick Reply: So who has/shoots/handled an 82nd Airborne?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.