HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Cam and a half? Hoyt versus Mathews? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/28391-cam-half-hoyt-versus-mathews.html)

Koontzy 04-15-2003 06:05 AM

Cam and a half? Hoyt versus Mathews?

Ok I know hoyts cam and 1/2, and have heard alot about it and have been trying to read up on it..... I could have swore though that Mathews came out wiht the first cam and a half back in 92 i think? didn' t Mathews find that system not as good as the one-cams?
Is this board a hoyt versus mathews board :o) hehehe, but for real I would like some real comments, I am thinking bout getting a Mathews since I really like the LX, and the Q2XL, and the legacy looks nice, can someone tell me bout them? also I would like to try some hoyts, but dont know much bout them, could someone enlighten me???

Thanks

-Ryan

Kanga 04-15-2003 07:51 AM

RE: Cam and a half? Hoyt versus Mathews?

Koontzy.

Before you decide on a bow you really should go and test as many bows as you can.
Just because a certain bow is the right bow for Bubba dont mean it is the right bow for you.

As for the cam.5 of today are a lot better than the cam.5 of 10 years ago the same goes for todays dual cams.

IMO the best bow Mathews ever built was the MQ1.

I am not a big fan of the roller guard and string supressors they have now just seems something else that can go wrong IMO.

PABowhntr 04-15-2003 09:54 AM

Koontzy,

What exactly would you like to know? Most of the specs for both bows can be found on both of the companies respective websites.... www.mathewsinc.com and www.hoytusa.com . Mathews continues to refine their single cam design and also add one or two new gadgets to their bows each year. This past year they came out with three new models...the LX, Conquest 3 and Black Max 2.

Hoyt decided to go into a different direction with the new Cam and a Half system. It has characteristics of both a single and a dual cam bow....and though it has many benefits it also has a drawback or two as well. It seems to be pretty well received by most folks out there and I would be willing to bet that the Razortec model is probably the best selling high priced bow this year.

And as AG made mention to, there are other companies out there that you might also want to consider. Bowtech continues to improve their lineup each year and they offer a model for just about every taste.

Martin, PSE, NAAG also have some great looking, reasonably priced bows in their 2003 lineup.

It all comes down to feel though. You need to go out and get a few of these bows in your hand. That will be the real key to determining which bow goes home with you. :)

walks with a gimp 04-15-2003 10:46 AM

Look at what you personally want the bow to do for you. The type of shooting you do the most of should be considered first. Long range shooting requires a mid to heavy bow with more brace and ATA. Shooting at called in turkeys out of a blind on the ground might find you looking at a 29 inch light weight bow because of all the other things you have to carry in also. 3-D' s need forgiving accuracy and speed for shooting outdoors and in possibily high winds and rain. They will all work but some will do better in certain cases.

xibowhunter 04-15-2003 10:46 AM

i have a hoyt cam &1/2 and love it while it was on order i was talking to a guy at the pro shop about the mathews lx and he told me if you have a short draw length you won' t like the lx ,that the conquest would be better. [:-]

IL_BOW_MAN 04-15-2003 11:59 AM

Since I have been told that I am secretly hiding my Hoyt, I am going to have to break my silence!! Every Mathews bow is better than the Hoyt!!;)[:o] There, just had to get that out of my system.

When I bought my bow, I went strictly by feel. I shot several bows and just went with what felt good in my hands. And the Hoyt felt like crap![>:] Not really that bad, but I don' t want to be accused of switching over again.;)

Shoot as many as you can, look them over good, then shoot them again. Take a break from shooting and talk to the proshop guy, and then go and shoot them again, this time with your eyes closed. Just feel the bow, and then you will know what Mathews to get[8D]

micah 04-15-2003 01:33 PM

IL_BOW_MAN, Come on now, tell the truth, Mathews is paying you too to say that you like thier bows the best. ;)
But seriously, of course it is all up to the person that is shooting the bow. I try out every bow that I can each year, simply because the bow company that I' m not shooting this year may come out with something I like next year.
So far on the Mathews line up, I do like the Icon. A nice smooth draw. But the rest of thier lineup (for me) is something left to be desired.
On the other hand, Hoyt, with the exception of the supertec/spiral cam, are the smoothest, easiest shooting bows I' ve shot so far this year. Although I' ve yet to get my hands on Bowtechs Pro40 wheelie and dually.
What I guess I' m trying to say is try not to let other peoples decisions influence you on what is right for you. And don' t read those 6 page ads in the magazines. I think they are sending subliminal messages through them to pull you toward the darkside.[&:]

bbahunter 04-15-2003 01:48 PM

Everyone has their own opinions and tastes, and feel of a bow.
Like IL bowman says( the hoyt feels like crap) that is his his opinion.
Just like my opinion is: mathews feel like crap.:D

Smooch 04-15-2003 07:46 PM

IL_BOW_MAN, PLEASE PUT THAT CRACK PIPE DOWN!!! ;):D:D

Big Country 04-15-2003 09:23 PM

IL BOW MAN, do you by chance follow the pro 3-d events in the IBO, and ASA?

If you don`t, that`s fine.

If you do, ya better sit down and hold on tight.

It is already known that the new cam.5 bows are winning almost all of the 3-ds, and ALL of the big spot shoots.(Vegas and Kansas City)

That`s gotta hurt to start with.

What`s really gonna hurt is when you see who is shooting what at the first leg of the IBO triple crown!;)