Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What do you prefer?  (Draw Cycle) >

What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

The internet is a wonderful place! I have met and talked to guys from all parts of the country including Hawaii and Alaska, as well as all parts of the World. I have talked to guys from Canada, New Zealand, Germany, Sweden, Spain,England, Belgium, Australia, etc., etc.that I now consider my friends. I also met a guy through the forums that lives only 20 or so miles from me. A friend for life No doubt

The Bad thing is you have to be extremely careful what you type. It is easily taken a lot different than intended. Whileif it was said face to face a second thought would not be given to it.

I'm about having fun, enjoying Everything I do, helping people in a Sport I Love regardless of their choice of equipment, but if the Fun leaves then so will I.

Dan
Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

JeffB, you have to excuse Dan....he knows not what he does. He's a super good guy and is just goofin' around.

Everyone needs to lighten up a little!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about body physics.Every person is the strongestduring the beginning of thedraw until the major muscles of the back are fully contracted. When you get closer to your face the big muscles are almost fully contracted and it becomes harder to keep contracting the muscles. With lighter weight this isn't that much of a problem. However, why force people to shoota lighter draw weight by producing bows with an aggressive peak and valley?

This kind of goes backto the hatchet cam bows. Once you drew them back you were afraid to let go if fear of pulling your shoulder out of socket. Letting down your bow shouldn't be something that can cause injury and steep valleys can do that. That's probably why many people on here like 60# draw weight bows due to shooting the aggressive cams in the past at higher weight.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

An old HCA Excalibur or Machined Supreme feels like a wheel bow compared to the hybrids and singles we have today (and isn't a whole lot slower-at least with heavier arrows).

I remember buying a brand new 1994 HCA Supreme (THE classic HCA bow-) around 1999 for SUPA cheap at a shop not far from here-I had been shooting Hoyt redline cams, and Mathews Max cams, and Hoyt M & C cams, PSE lightning cams- That Supreme was so much easier to draw pound for pound. The HCA hatchets were really above the curve for the day- fast and pretty darn smooth-None of the clones (PSE Maxis, Martin Fury, Hoyt M cams, etc) ever came close in the overall picture. Too bad HCA comitted slow suicide.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's all about body physics.Every person is the strongestduring the beginning of thedraw until the major muscles of the back are fully contracted.
Very True! It's also why many trying to stretch their draw length out a little has more trouble pulling a bow than they would at the proper Draw Length.

I've seen a ton of guys come to me that were having problems and on the verge of quitting archery, and all they needed to do was get into a bow that had the proper DL for them.

One reason it is so important a New Archer be fitted correctly the 1st time. It can be a make or break thing for many.

Just an FYI! The main reason I switched from shooting 80# and 90# bows was due to a 15' fall out of a tree. My shoulder was pretty messed up, then the following summer I took a 4' X 8' sheet of CD decking edgewise on that sameshoulder the deckinghad fell from 10' up and hit me like a Guillotine.

I had to hunt that fall with 40# I killed 3 deer including a P&Y and I guess you could say I learned 80# wasn't necessary

Heck I felt good to be able to pull a 90# bow summer before last and shoot the thing, after what my shoulder has been through.[8D]

Dan
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've dislocated both my shoulders due to bad genetics and weight lifting as a youth. Even with a shorter than correct DL the last few inches can be a PETA. I'm not knocking low DW bows. I just don't know why a company doesn't continue at least 1 bow in their lineup with the same cam design that worked the year before.

I'd actually like to try the new HCA's. There is a dealership 70 miles away or so and I should give him a call. I'm waiting until I decide to buy a new bow though and try them all.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My story is a class 3 separation of my left shoulder due to a Mountain Bike accident. I think I have a partial tear in my right Rotator Cuff since the '70s due to trying to bench press after throwing about an hour of batting practice. It is not that difficult to question my intelligence.

For me, the transitions are the key to what I prefer. If the transition from not moving to rolling is smooth, then I like the weight to build fast. Same for the back. I like as much speed as I can get for the #. I agree with Dan about the draw length. My Pro 38 feels like butter to me when I am using my thumb trigger release. Put on a long wrist strap, and that last bit of peak is tough to handle. With the late peak draw, draw length is very critical, IMHO.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winn Free Flight- best way in the world to handle a bow from a comfort standpoint- makes draw weight feel considerably lighter (8- 10 pounds or so for me) and gives a very solid, steady feel at full draw. I shot one for nearly 10 years. Gotta have good form though- if you are punch happy the "spongy" trigger will kill you. I sure wish they could design a more crisp trigger. You can also get away with another 3/4 to an inch of draw length compared to a typical wrist strap caliper style.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Crappy trigger as you obviously know

I'll stick with my Carter

I'm far from perfect![8D]

Dan
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Crappy trigger as you obviously know

I'll stick with my Carter

I'm far from perfect![8D]

Dan
One year I pulled off the Winn head, and tied on my Fletchunter head (the one attached to the strap with rope/cord). LOL. what a redneck move Of course I lost the draw length benefit but it did work a bit better from a trigger standpoint.

Tru-fire had a Winn copy at one time- Bear Claw? that had a FAR better trigger mechanism but the same design as the Winn head. I ended up putting that on the Winn glove for the last season I hunted with the Winn- 2001? Shot a nice little buck that year with the my Q2 and that release (even worked good with the loop, believe it or not). I should see about experimenting with that again.

I had a oneshot and twoshot from Carter. Extreme quality stuff.

Quick Reply: What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.