Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What do you prefer?  (Draw Cycle) >

What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Glad to see some more responses. This was really an attempt to get some discussions going like we used to have. Remember PABowhntr's ideal components for bow design thread?

For those that are so manly, or for those that take this as a veiled dis of their sponsor, I guess draw cycle doesn't matter.

The last two deer I have shot, I was "caught" at 1/2 draw for way too long, then had to finish and get off a good shot quickly. Just another reason I dislike the "hump and drop off a cliff into the valley" type cam(s). I get a kick out of the experts on AT who regularly spit out the "smooth like a single cam" lines when they are dissing the binary cam bows. The two worst draws I have felt were the Firebrand Discovery(yes, I was dumb enough to try one for 10 days, and sent it back), and the Pearson Dagger with Kineticam. The Newberry Hybrid was almost as bad as the Pearson, IMO. My current old Bowtech Pro 38 Dual Cam has a late peak, but it is very smooth and drops smoothly to 65% letoff. I am amazed by the performance of the bow considering the smoothness of the draw. As far as getting used to it, I know that when I had my Patriot Dually, I really didn't think the draw was bad at all. It got up to peak fast, but just stayed there as long as possible. If I shot that for about a week straight, then picked up my Darton, I had to be careful not to break off the draw stop on the module though.\

I'm still not sure why cams are designed with a late peak "hump". It would seem to me that if the cam came up to peak weight earlier, and just maintained it, the bow would actually be able to store more energy and shoot faster. Maybe it has to do with acceptable preload or something like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

Maybe im the only one, but draw cycle dosent really matter to me. All i care about is having a solid wall with no signs of wanting to creep. Call me crazy, but thats how i feel.
I Agree!! The Draw is something you soon become used to. I mean a 70# bow is 70# and a 60# bow is 60# sure you may get it earlier and pull it longer with some bows, but it's still whatever the scale says.

I get a kick out of some of the comments about draw cycles. A lot of people are over bowed. They are used to just grazing peak weight in the draw cycle and when they actually have to pull that weight for a few more inches, it's like UGH!![8D]

A lot of Wussies!

Dan
Not very often I disagree with you Dan, but HERE, I have to. Granted, some of what is built into that draw cycle is what you're going to get out of it also, but some bows do have harsher draw cycles in comparison with others, even though their "PEAK" weights are the same.

For me personally I like a SOLID wall, and a nice little valley at the end. Neither of my main 2 bows have GREAT either, but they are paid for, and both shoot fairly well, so I'll deal with it, but I believe the nicest feeling draw on a bow I've shot would have to go to the Alphamax35 that I shot back around Thanksgiving. The draw just had everything I personally like, very smooth, with a nice little valley, and a SOLID as a rock wall. Granted, you're not gonna get and super speeds out of one, but I think it would be a lot nicer to draw on a cold chilly morning than about anything I've ever shot in equal "peak" weights.
I just think they are a bunch of weinies out there Doug!![8D]

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM

I shot both the Admrail and the Iceman before I got my Iceman and I must say it is the smoothest bow I have drawn, The Admrail build up was to much for me and it wanted to roll more on the draw than the Iceman, movement is key to me useing decoys and guts and rattlingthe deer we hunt come in eyes wide open, after shooting PSE and Hoyt bows for years I was amazed by Bowtech, solid wall and no vibration at all.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of Wussies!

I just think they are a bunch of weinies out there Doug!![8D] Dan
Wow. I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but I know that when I was on the BT Corporate staff, calling potential and/or current customers names surely wasn't cool. Certainly isn't very professional at the least.

jes sayin.[8D]
Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

A lot of Wussies!

I just think they are a bunch of weinies out there Doug!![8D] Dan
Wow. I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but I know that when I was on the BT Corporate staff, calling potential and/or current customers names surely wasn't cool. Certainly isn't very professional at the least.

jes sayin.[8D]
I consider Doug a friend of mine. If you can't take and give a little kiddin what's the Fun[8D]

Don't take things too serious JeffB

I have an 82nd and a Ross Carnivore, and by many who have shot both would say it's the easiest and the hardest draw between those 2.
Can I tell a difference? Sure I can!

Would it decide which I bought? Hardly!!

Maybe it's because I can shoot 80# if I want to and I only shoot 60# because it's so easy. Maybe that's the reason I wouldn't determine what I bought by the draw cycle.

If I shot 80# I might!

If I hurt anybody's Feelers? I'm Sorry!!

Gee!!

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I can take it and dish it out believe me- nor do my feelings get hurt about archery stuff.

However it seems like you were addressing alot of other people negatively-not your buddy ( i.e. anyone who didn't care for the draw curve) -but whatever, you do your thing
Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Oh I can take it and dish it out believe me- nor do my feelings get hurt about archery stuff.

However it seems like you were addressing alot of other people negatively-not your buddy ( i.e. anyone who didn't care for the draw curve) -but whatever, you do your thing
Smooch!!!

Feel better?

I really consider most on here my friends. I have talked to many on the phone. I keep forgetting there are those I don't though.

My Bad!!

A buddy called me a Weinie the other day. I laughed!! If he had called me an SOB I might have got upset

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the GT500 Jeff. It felt like it had a nice balance to it. It had a forward jump with a good front end drop which felt very good, almost like a target bow w/out all of the vibe adn handshock. Im pretty numb to good feeling bows b/c i shoot for a shop but it was definately a top contender with any imho! I wont be trading for one anytime soon, but i wouldnt look past it if i were looking for an excellent bow that produced good speeds with a relatively smooth draw.

As far as draw, once again... If you shoot xbrand 70# draw bow, but cant draw/shoot another xbrand bow than that is an obvious sign that you are over bowed Why not drop a # or 3 and give up the he man stuff. I can feel how a bow draws at light weight, or heavy weight, but... it is magnified when it is out of your regular comfort zone. That being said, i comfortably shoot and am used to 55-60#'s. I feel the draw in the bows i assure you...Its no different than if one guy who shot 70#'sregularly and easily.But if i go out and shoot an 82nd airborne at 55#'s, i promise ill get the bow back even tho im used to the smooth AM.
Derek

Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of the few guys on here that think everyone should shoot the highest DW they can handle. With that said I far prefer the Bowtech smooth mods over the fast mods. Early in the draw you are using the large muscles in the back to do most of the work. Near the end you are going into a more unnatural position for the shoulder and there is more strain on the joint. I far prefer the Allegiance is smooth mods over anything Bowtech has out now. Thought about replacing my Ally until I shot a few of the new bows.

As for thewussies comment. I have to agree with JeffB about that. I know that you were kidding around. But believe it or not beyond the 20-30 regulars on here that you probalby talk to thereare a lot more people that are memebers or stop in to this fourm. Directed at friends or not this is an open forum and beside the people you normally talk to there are a lot more people out there that visit this forum that you never talk to. I think many people are put off with statements like that and never return to the forum. As a "Corporate Sponsor" you shouldn't use disparaging statements.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I apologize again!

The wussie comment was directed at nobody in particular. I still say you are better off shooting a bow you can handle easily, instead of one you are on the edge of your ability.

My 82nd at 61# is producing over 72# of KE. I have No reason to shoot any more poundage.

I have one of the easiest Draw cycle bows as well as one of the hardest draw cycle bows on the market today at my disposal. I'm just saying I would Never shoot so many pounds that I had to make my decision on which bow to buy from which one I could pull comfortably.

I'm hunting, and not shooting an indoor 300 or 450 round therefore in most cases I prefer to hunt with a bow that is flat shooting and packs some KE. I'm not going to pull it back 45 or 60 times in a row.

I always shot my Ally with speed mods and I had friends that switched to smooth mods so they could shoot 2 or 3 extra pounds. That's fine both bows shot the same KE, and if that's what they wanted then the Smooth and Speed mods are both available. It's personal preference to me. I've shot both but always preferred the Speed mods.

20-30 regulars I talk to on here? I hope you are kidding with thatI easily have talked to 3 or 4 times that many, and many have contacted me from just surfing on here and getting my contact info.

Don't take things so serious! Life is way too shortI wishWeinie was the worst thing I've ever been called[8D]

Dan

Quick Reply: What do you prefer? (Draw Cycle)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.