HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Spine check please?! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/283059-spine-check-please.html)

natimage 01-17-2009 08:30 AM

Spine check please?!

I'm sort of afraid to ask because I'm fairly certain these aren't the correct arrows for me but they were given to me so I've been using them for practice until I get good enough to buy better arrows. I shoot a Fred Bear Lights Out 28" draw, it's currently set at 52lb but I'd like it to be around 57 or so eventually. The arrows are 30" Carbon Express Eliminator 350s and I have 100 grain field points and they have 3 5" feathers (again, they were part of a package not my decision). I'm pretty sure this isn't right at all but I'd like to know what I should be shooting. Probably in the Gold Tip brand because of price. I will be primarily using these for hunting. Any help would be great! I'm not sure why they didn't trim the arrows down either.

archer 2 01-17-2009 06:07 PM

RE: Spine check please?!

At 52 lbs you could use the Gold Tip 3555's cut to 28 inches long. However if your bow is set at 57 lbs then you would have to cut the arrows to 27 inches long for them to spine out.

JeffB 01-17-2009 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: archer 2

At 52 lbs you could use the Gold Tip 3555's cut to 28 inches long. However if your bow is set at 57 lbs then you would have to cut the arrows to 27 inches long for them to spine out.
Yup- or even jump up to a 55/75 with 125 gr points- especially if you are using feathers (as that will cause the arrows to be a tad weaker than using vanes)

natimage 01-17-2009 07:09 PM

May I ask where you find the Oz that tells you this? Is it a computer program I could get? What does it run? My issue is that I want speed so I want to keep my tips to 100gr if possible and the broadheads I want to shoot are 100gr.

JeffB 01-18-2009 04:03 AM

ORIGINAL: natimage

May I ask where you find the Oz that tells you this? Is it a computer program I could get? What does it run? My issue is that I want speed so I want to keep my tips to 100gr if possible and the broadheads I want to shoot are 100gr.

My program is my brain and experience I charge $1000 per hour. I prefer PayPal [8D]

If you want to keep your speed up, look into a CX 250 series shaft- a bit stiffer than the GT 35/55 and still lightweight in most of the diff types. At your lighter poundage and going with very light weight arrows I'd be real careful about choosing broadheads.

natimage 01-18-2009 06:25 AM

Careful about choosing a broadhead as far as what? I may be putting too much thought into this thinking only one perfect speed and amount of Kenetic energy will kill a deer so I guess weight isn't as big of an issue. I think I'm going to use the Rage expandable broadheads for deer. Should I use a heavier arrow to get more KE?

JeffB 01-18-2009 06:21 PM

I love mechs, but IME you need some horsepower/overkill for them to be scary effective- 60 pounds of KE at least, and 65-70 is better. Light arrows, low poundage and mechs can (and often will) yield some poor poor results- def stick w/ broadside shots and keep em close. 20 yards- if you are set on mechs and light arrows.

My reccomendation with your poundage and lighter arrows would be to stick to a good cut on contact fixed blade (Phantom, NAP Razorback, Steel Force, etc etc), or smaller diameter Muzzy, Wasp, Slick Trick, etc.

natimage 01-18-2009 06:30 PM

I guess I don't really need light arrows, just my lack of bowhunting knowledge made me think they'd be better since they'd be faster and the deer couldn't string jump as much...but my bow is pretty quiet so if adding knock down power would be better than going for speed that'd be fine too. Any arrow suggestions on a college budget? I'm looking at the Cabela's Stalker Extremes possibly but those are like 8.4 gpi I think, is that considered light still?

JeffB 01-18-2009 06:51 PM

I'm not fam with the current Cabelas arrows- typically they have been low quality shafts made by Beman/Easton or CX branded with the Cabelas name. This was not always the case (at one time the Stalkers were very good quality pultruded carbon arrows made by Custom Archery equipment), but has been for quite some time.

Beman ICS Hunters (size 400) and Carbon Express Terminators (size 45/60) would both be real good choices for a quality medium weight arrow at a budget friendly price.