HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   String Drag and Letoff? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/282985-string-drag-letoff.html)

FSUBIGMAC 01-16-2009 12:46 PM

String Drag and Letoff?

Someone shared this info with me so I thought I would ask if anyone knows about it. I was told that serving diameter/tightness can effect the letoff % a bow can reach. A buddy of mine took his new VT strings to a shop and they tech checked for letoff and could only get 75% letoff. I guess he then slapped a set of his custom built strings on which supposedly had tighter/cleaner servings (according to my source) and was able to get a full 80% letoff. The tech told the guy that the VT servings weren't served as well and that it caused drag which wouldn't allow for max letoff. Not trying to bash any strings or anything just want to know if this technical aspect of strings and servings is correct. Thanks

txjourneyman 01-16-2009 12:54 PM

RE: String Drag and Letoff?

Is letoff the the measured weight at full draw? Why would any drag have anything to do with it? The bow is already at full draw. Or am I wrong about how letoff is measured? I think someone wanted to sell a custom string.

FSUBIGMAC 01-16-2009 01:06 PM

I see your point -- and obviously I have no clue. Not sure if he was trying to sell or not -- but my buddy already had his strings there so not like it was going to happen.

brucelanthier 01-16-2009 02:02 PM

Basically, letoff is cam rotation at full draw, more rotation more letoff, less rotation less letoff. If the VT strings were not installed correctly (correct BH and ATA then Cams timed)then that would affect the letoff. I can't see where the serving has anything to do with that.

EDIT: If there is a draw stop it may be a simple matter of adjusting that

MO_Bowhnter 01-16-2009 02:18 PM

It would have to be a tuning issue where the old strings were a different length than the new strings they tried on causing the cam rotation/tune of the bow to be different causing a higher letoff.

I don't see how serving alone could impact the letoff.

JeffB 01-16-2009 03:40 PM

HAs nothing to do with drag, but a variation in diameter of ANY kind from the "stock" (whether from poorly done or different size serving material, or more or less strands, etc) will affect letoff cos the cam cannot rotate correctly .

Turn the steering wheel in your truck all the way to the left or right- if you've put on tires too big, you will get contact sooner with the wheel well- tire doesnt go as far as it could with the tire it was designed around.

FSUBIGMAC 01-16-2009 04:25 PM

That all kinda makes sense -- I know the VT strings were done in (?)62x-- whatever the number is -- i am not exactly sure. The guys "custom" stringe were served in halo. So maybe that made the difference -- who knows

KodiakArcher 01-16-2009 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

That all kinda makes sense -- I know the VT strings were done in (?)62x-- whatever the number is -- i am not exactly sure. The guys "custom" stringe were served in halo. So maybe that made the difference -- who knows
I think you're talking 452x string material and halo serving material which is apples and oranges but both can effect finished diameter especially depending on what size the serving thread was. I'm highly dubious of the fact that the VT string diameter alone was the culprit and it certainly could have been adjusted to specifications if the guy wasn't so inclined to sell a string. I'm betting that it was just out of specification as set and that's what caused the difference. You'd be surprised what 3 twists one way or another can do.

archer 2 01-16-2009 06:44 PM

No , they could be talking about 62XS for the serving. Halo would definitely be thinner than The 62XS so that is what probably changed the letoff between the two strings was the difference in the thickness of servings. Nothing to do with drag at all

FSUBIGMAC 01-17-2009 03:53 PM

yes 62sx -- that was the VT strings used I believe -- the techs strings used halo serving with 452x string --