Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Limb bolts loosening over time >

Limb bolts loosening over time

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Limb bolts loosening over time

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Limb bolts loosening over time

Hey all just wanted to see if any of ya'll had the same problem I am with limb bolts loosening.

I went to the archery shop the other day to test the draw weight and it was down approximately 4 lbs from 61 to 57 lbs.I went home and checkedmy limb bolts and they had loosened quite a bit. Theymust have loosened over time from shooting because last time I checked they weretightened to themax. I will now check themquite a bit more often. Anyone else ever have this issue?

I first noticed a difference when I was shooting about1" to 2" low every shot. Ifirst thought it was something I was doing and ended up moving my sight to adjust but didn't realize the bow poundage was down.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Default RE: Limb bolts loosening over time

Never in over 25 years and I can't count how many bows have I ever even heard of it. Although, it must happen or the manufacturers wouldn't put bolt locks and locking limb pockets in. Speaking of which, I thought the TomKat has locking limb pockets?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
bigcountry

I have to agree, never with probably 10 or more bows, have I ever had limbs bolts to loosen. I have had limb bolts that locks the limb bolts down to loosen on my bowtech liberty.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I do not know much about the locking limb pockets. I do not believe the pocket has a locking device that allows the bolt to stay tight but I may be wrong? I only know that you can tighten and loosen the bolt and with it loosening, i can't believe there is a locking device in there unless it isn't working properly.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM

On BowTechs the limb pocket locks are two smaller bolts on the side of the riser that lock the pocket to the riser. They have to be loosened before weight adjustments can be made. The TomKat may not have them as a way that they shaved some money off that model from their higher end bows.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

On BowTechs the limb pocket locks are two smaller bolts on the side of the riser that lock the pocket to the riser. They have to be loosened before weight adjustments can be made. The TomKat may not have them as a way that they shaved some money off that model from their higher end bows.
You are correct the tomkat model does not have these smaller bolts on the side of riser.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Some of the older Hoyts used to have this problem with limb bolts backing out over time. Used to see them where the person would make a mark on the end of the limb bolts so that they could tell if they were moving. That was back in the early 90's though
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Although I have not experienced limb bolts loosening I have heard of a few guys losing a bit of weight when their's did. On my Patriot I have had my pivoting limb lockbolts come loose as well, but not the limb bolts.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the 80 plus bows I've Owned I've never experienced that problem.

I've heard of it and always kept an eye out for it though!

Dan