This will not be a bow report per-se- just some general observations. I messed with alot of bows tonite-Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite, Browning, Martin, BowTech, Diamond, Bear, and probably something I am..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I'mmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaacccckkkkk (EDIT- now with PICS!) >

I'mmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaacccckkkkk (EDIT- now with PICS!)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I'mmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaacccckkkkk (EDIT- now with PICS!)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'mmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaacccckkkkk

A hunting buddy has a golden Eagle...I think it's the 'Hawk', no sure, he's now in the air (flying) otherwise I would have confirmed with him.
He shot this bow for about 16 years, two years ago he bought a Tribute. He kept his GE, andhe said to me every other week during the lasthunting seasonhe wanted to switch back to shooting his old aluminum arrows and his 125 gr thunderheads on his GE.
Everytime we discuss new bows, he makes mention of his Golden eagle.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff, is the GT500 adjustable in letoff or strictly 80% without having to play with cam/drawstop rotation, therefore messing with my draw length? I hate the fact that 80% is being pushed on everyone, even those of us who do not like that much letoff. I have my BT Patriot at more like 70-72%, but of course that was due to using the shortermodule and thenthen setting the draw stop to allow me to reach my given draw length andstill keeping the bow within factory specs.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illusion- It was a Browning Mirage- checked tonite when I was at the shop.

Ampa- Yep the Hawk was a good seller too- The old Formula 3D/Pro Formula with the limb blocks was just a hawk riser with those added. The Predator I had was basically the hawk with lower letoff "plastic" (delrin?) wheels (60%). The hawk had aluminum wheels (65%) or egg shaped cams (60%) w/ FF string and later the 80% wheels like on the Evolution.

Coug- The letoff is adjusted by the draw stops- watching my dealer tinker tonite with mine they seem to affect things more for less actual movement than say the draw stop you are used to on the PAT- I'd say you could fine tune draw length and letoff better/more precisely with the Revolution cams by changing (twisting/untwisting) string/harness length and then playing with the stop. I'm just learning my way around these things (Binarys are totally new to me), so I'd def reccomend asking over at the Elite forums- good bunch of folks there. Those guys are serious tweakers with some in-depth knowledge of Kevin's designs/cams.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

JeffB, thats what I like about you. You're honest and completely unbiased when it comes to giving your opinion on bows. We get too many people here voicing an opinion on a certain bow that are on staff for a company, or have another hidden agenda. Nothing wrong with liking what you like, but its nice to read from someone who couldn't care less about the brand of product and give an honest opinion.

Keep it up buddy!
We all know about opinions [8D] (where's the stinky butt smiley?[:'(]) Some guys probably think I'm totally off my rocker (and I just may be) .

I would like to re-iterate that I was as totally enamored of the feel of BTs at the shot and the machining as I was totally dissapointed in the draw cycles. So it's not like I think they are horrid pieces of crap now Sometime in the past few years they went in a different direction than I like/would like/would have gone myself. Happens all the time with a great many things in life, not just archery- you adapt and move on to new things that work best for you
Jeff,

With 123 (slight exaggeration) cam designs to choose from between 3 lines, I'm sure there's one (or more) that you'll like better than the draw cycle of the Admiral. Each cam system has its own feel and performance feature.

I suggest you check out a S.W.A.T.

I got mine in 60 Lbs. to huntWhitetail and when I was setting it up I shot about 6 arrows and I thought to myself...What the heck, did they send me a 50 Lb bow?I shot a couple more arrows and had the same thoughts...So I checked it on my digital scale and it registered 61 Lbs.

Yes, I believe it draws that smooth howeverour RossCarnivorehas the smoothest drawing cams this year.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heyya Bro- Yeah- it's almost too much choice. I actually liked the single cam on the Marquis (felt way better than Iceman). Later on I drew the Allegiance and thought that was nicer than the 09 binaries as well. No Ross bows in stock unfortunately.

FWIW-(and I'm just offering this as feedback) there was a guy at FAS last night basically doing the same thing I did- shooting everything and did not care what it was- He shot the Reezen, and did not like it at all (and he's coming off a Switchback). Then he shot the AM 35 and loved that. Then he shot the Captain and loved the way it shot but had the exact same complaint about the draw cycle I do- he asked to have the weight turneddown for him, he drew/shot it a couple more times and said "do they make this with different cams?" He shot the Elite GT500 and like the draw better, but it had more recoil than the Hoyt or BT, so he put that back. He ended up liking the AM35 best but is waiting for his tax check to come in, so did not purchase.

Anyhoo- take that for what you will.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Heyya Bro- Yeah- it's almost too much choice. I actually liked the single cam on the Marquis (felt way better than Iceman). Later on I drew the Allegiance and thought that was nicer than the 09 binaries as well. No Ross bows in stock unfortunately.

FWIW-(and I'm just offering this as feedback) there was a guy at FAS last night basically doing the same thing I did- shooting everything and did not care what it was- He shot the Reezen, and did not like it at all (and he's coming off a Switchback). Then he shot the AM 35 and loved that. Then he shot the Captain and loved the way it shot but had the exact same complaint about the draw cycle I do- he asked to have the weight turneddown for him, he drew/shot it a couple more times and said "do they make this with different cams?" He shot the Elite GT500 and like the draw better, but it had more recoil than the Hoyt or BT, so he put that back. He ended up liking the AM35 best but is waiting for his tax check to come in, so did not purchase.

Anyhoo- take that for what you will.

Do they have a S.W.A.T. or Sniper in stock. These two share the same cams and draw very nice...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

Do they have a S.W.A.T. or Sniper in stock. These two share the same cams and draw very nice...
Yup- noticed they got a SWAT in since I bought my bow, but the guy didn't pick it up for whatever reason. He seemed to be looking at only the extreme top end bows (IDK- I wasn't actually helping him- just listening and watching while he picked Tommy's brain).

On a side note-I thought the Reezen was super quiet considering the speed, but they are running nearly an inch long in draw length. Bear/Trophy ridge rep was in there last night- nice guy- that little Kids bow they got is very cool, and Trophy ridge has got a couple of nice new dropaways (much better than that drop zone thing). One of the dropaways is very similar to the one WWAG was (is?) making. Had some wicked loking new broadheads too.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I wonder with the center pivot bows and this is not a knock on them at all. But doesn't flexing the limb in the center actually aid in making draw cycle feel more harsh? Like JeffB noted, the draw of this bow is not nearly as smooth or, for lack of better terms, easy drawing,as some of the others in Bowtech's lineup. The one I shot built the weight farther back in the cycle, then, all of a sudden, dumped you rather abruptly into the valley.
I noticed this with the Guardian when it first came out as well but it did not have that abrupt drop off at the end.

Pat, you're right, the SWAT definitely is a smooth bow to shoot. If they would have put a roller guard on that bow, I might have bought one.

I really liked the shot experience with the Captain, one of the quietest and shock free bows I've ever shot. I just hope that they decide to work on the draw cycle for next years offerings.

Still waiting to shoot this Air Raid though. That bow looks amazing.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

One thing I wonder with the center pivot bows and this is not a knock on them at all. But doesn't flexing the limb in the center actually aid in making draw cycle feel more harsh?
It def LOOKS like you are using half the limb length you used to use to store a similar amount of energy- Its like trying to bend a 14" carbon arrow vs. a 28" carbon arrow. From what I could see with other people drawing/shooting them- the limbs were hardly moving and looking at youtube vids of other's shooting them it's obvious the limbs move very little compared to a "normal" bow. Of course that is what makes them so shock/recoil free- the longer/farther the limb tip moves, the more they flop around at release. So it would make sense that the draw force is going to be stiffer as well- the cams gotta really load up those limbs over a very short travel.

I really liked the shot experience with the Captain, one of the quietest and shock free bows I've ever shot. I just hope that they decide to work on the draw cycle for next years offerings.
Exactly. I hope they are able to figure something out, cos I'd sure as heck like to have another BT!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Hmm, speaking of which, anybody want to see a Ross Carnivore 31, Bowtech Admiral and Diamond Ice Man comparison? Head to head...no holds barred?
Not to bring up a month old thread but... I would love to see that comparison!