Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrist slings?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Default Wrist slings?

I was just wondering how many of you guys use them? I used to use one but i found them to not help any with my shooting. What is the point of these and would it benefit for me to use one again?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wrist slings?

They are not supposed to help with your shooting,they are supposed to keep you from dropping your bow.

I always use them.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

When the wrist strap first came out, back in the days of the Bear Whitetail,it was a trainning aid, its main purpose was to let you keep a loose grip on the bow without fear of dropping it and for the most, it worked. Today, it has just become one of those natural bow assesories that gets set up with every bow. If you have no bad habbits " gripping the bow" then you dont need it, but haveing it on always reminds me not to grip.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I started using one just a few years ago . I found that I had been gripping my bow too tight and tourqueing it . I gripped tight so I wouldn't drop the bow . I installed the wrist sling and my problem was eliminated . The wrist sling doesn't have to be tight .........
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

For me, it is one less thing on my bow. I don't use one.

I have tried shooting with an open hand, loose grip, etc. Regardless of doing these, I never felt like I was going to drop my bow directly after the shot. Maybe I will add of if it comes with a new bow or the bow feels different to me.

My current bow is a bit heavy and never feels like it is going to leave my hand. Very little movement or jump.

I likely don't have the best form...wonder if I were to improve form if I would fell the need for one.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Spike

I use a bow sling,but can shoot with or without one. The reason for the bow sling as stated above is to be able to shoot confidently with an open bow hand.If you don't want a sling, tryholding with the bottom three fingers open and thenLIGHTLY wrap the top finger around the grip. Another reason for the sling/open grip is to minimize torque which does nasty things to your shot.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

They are not supposed to help with your shooting,they are supposed to keep you from dropping your bow.

I always use them.
Ditto!

Dan
Old 01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
bigcountry

I have used them for about a decade, but I won't put a 10ft stabilizer on my bows that makes my bow drop forward and I look like I am going to take on the clingons. I am a hunter first and foremost, and I like my bow balanced so I can open my hand and the grip be dead loose and the bow will not fall forward and back before or after the shot. So I quit using them on my guardian and commander. Since they have no shock after the shot, the bow stays where there.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't even imagine shooting without one. My sling and how it is adjusted is as important to me as any other part of my bow. Without a sling there is no way I can follow through. You don't need to have one, but then in my opinion you're not shooting proper form. I want the bow to fall gently forward without any grasping of my hand. I don't hold my bow, it rests in the V part of my hand only my index finger will touch the riser. I make my own slings, and pay a lot attention to the adjustment. I'd rather shoot without a stabilizer than a sling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Rtd97cbZoCheck out the position of his left hand, and the follow through. His bow was a little out of vertical for me. This is the way I let the bow fall forward, there is no possible way to torque the bow using this form.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Spike

I used one when I had a death grip problem, and it helped me cure it. But once winter came around it became a pain to slip my gloves into it. So I took it back off. I still shoot open handed without it, anybody should be able to grab their bow before it falls? I think. It did help me alot on my grip to not hold the bow so tight, but know I don't use it cause of it being kind of a pain in the winter months.

Quick Reply: Wrist slings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.