Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Struggling with holding low >

Struggling with holding low

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Struggling with holding low

Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Struggling with holding low

All - Well I have been somewhat dorminant for the past several months mainly because I was taking archery a little too seriously and I think I was doing more harm than good. Anyways I am still having some issues with holding low on spot targets and it feels like I just can't get the bow up and the sight pin to float on the the spot it is always about 2-3" inches low. I was fighting Target Panic for a while and now I do not punch my trigger as much but I still can't raise my bow past a certain point when looking at a spot target. Typically when I am shooting a vitals target I am a little better. Any ideas? Just so you know I am shooting a 70-80lbs Hoyt vulcan (all the way backed out to 69lbs right now). I think I know the answer to this but would dropping to 60-70lbs limbs help me with my problem? I was planning on purchasing some lighter limbs but due to an unforseen loss of income I am tapped out right now. Any ideas would be great.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Struggling with holding low

I have very little doubt that lighter draw weight would help some, but it's not the complete answer. Lighter weight would allow you to use a back tension release which might be the answer to your problem.

Face it. You still have target panic. Freezing below the target is a sign of target panic (I freeze left). Blind bale shooting or so many other home school rememdies for battling target panic can help, too. Do a search on "target panic" and see what you find.

How are you addressing the target? Are you coming from the bottom up? If so you might try coming from the top down and try stopping just above the spot and letting the pin drift down on the spot. Whatever you do the answer is not going to be easy, but being able to aim is going to be very tough with a 70# draw weight. This is why most good target shooters are in the 50# range with lower letoff cams.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

practice aiming at the spot, and DONT shoot and let down. Do this over and over and practice it consistantly and it will go away. That is what helps me the most.

Derek
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

I had/have the same problem. It was horrible. I found Myself constantly trying to pull the bow up that 2-3 inches. As soon as I did I would try to release which wasn't helping any. Finally I had to get up close to the target, and close My eyes. Draw back and blindly aim at the target, and shoot over and over again. After that for awhile, I would go back to 20,30, and 40 yards and shoot again. If I would settle a couple inches low like I had been doing I would let the bow down. Don't force a shot it doesn't help any at all. Once You figure out that Your in control of when the bow goes off, and where You can aim it gets better, but it takes awhile to get over it. I really don't think it ever goes away, because Mine comes back every now and then. It sucks! Sometimes best thing is just to draw back try to aim at the bullseye, and if You can't keep letting the bow down, and draw again. I'll do that for a long time if I can't stay on the bullseye.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back off the draw weight 'a whole lot'. You should not be fighting the bow. Get 'comfortable' with your form....consistent form. Shoot and then shoot and then shoot some more. At least a few days at 'minimum DW'.
Slowly increase your DW as your comfort level improves.
RELAX, and follow thru on your shots...Rome wasn't built in a day. TIME is of the essence.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I am definetly agreeing with all of you I think I will try and sell whatever I can to get some 60lbs limbs for my Hoyt I think that will help a lot. PLease keep the suggestions coming I appreciate it all.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

I had/have the same problem. It was horrible. I found Myself constantly trying to pull the bow up that 2-3 inches. As soon as I did I would try to release which wasn't helping any. Finally I had to get up close to the target, and close My eyes. Draw back and blindly aim at the target, and shoot over and over again. After that for awhile, I would go back to 20,30, and 40 yards and shoot again. If I would settle a couple inches low like I had been doing I would let the bow down. Don't force a shot it doesn't help any at all. Once You figure out that Your in control of when the bow goes off, and where You can aim it gets better, but it takes awhile to get over it. I really don't think it ever goes away, because Mine comes back every now and then. It sucks! Sometimes best thing is just to draw back try to aim at the bullseye, and if You can't keep letting the bow down, and draw again. I'll do that for a long time if I can't stay on the bullseye.
I agree with this 100%. Mine comes back as well and it has recently. I have changed my setup a bunch lately and instead of focusing on the shots im focusing more on the other stuff so my shots are lacking.

Just stick with it, and be persistant.

Derek
Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Shoot and then shoot and then shoot some more. At least a few days at 'minimum DW'.
While I agree with just about everything written on this post so far, I couldn't disagree with this more. Remember practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect! You need to work on aiming, not on shooting. Draw and hold on the target without firing. The best way to do this is to have a release that you can lock the sear on so that it can't fire. That way you can go through your full shot sequence without firing: address the target, focus/aquire the target (envision where the arrow will strike), draw, anchor, sight focus, aim, start the back tension, aim, aim, aim (for about as long as it usually takes for the release to fire) and then let down. (This is of course assuming that you have a solid shot sequence and release down first, don't put the cart before the horse.)
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good advice. I had a very similar issue a while back but I was just the opposite. I was holding above and not able to bring it down.

The best thing I did was practive holding the pin on the target without shooting an arrow. Draw, hold for about 5-10 seconds, and then let down. Make sure you place your finger on the trigger as well, as if you have full intention on shooting the arrow. Do this for anywhere between 5-10 times and then shoot one arrow. Then do the whole thing over again.

It worked for me.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Spike

A little late on the response, but... When I was pretty serious about target shooting I developed a BAD case of target panic. It did not rear it's ugly head on game or 3D targets, only when I was shooting 5 or single spot targets. Same problem,I felt like I could not raise my sight to the center of the target no matter what. For myself, like some stated earlier, I did a lot of drawing and holding on a small dot and then letting off. The other excersize I did was to place a strip of black electrical tape about 10" long paralell to the ground at target height. That became my target. I did not focus attention left or right, only on the black strip. The other thing I did in the rehab time was STAY AWAY from target shooting. As one stated earlier "perfect practice makes perfect". What I tell my kids when I coach them is "practice makes permanent, so practice properly" Good luck.

Quick Reply: Struggling with holding low

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.