Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out >

Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out

Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out

I want to shoot 50 yards. I have a 28 inch draw at 62 pounds best sight under 50 to shoot that far.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out

TruGlo makes a sight with 5 pins and light for under $50. It's called Brite-Site Xtreme. If you want 1 pin adjustable Pro Hunter Micro is $50. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

My thing is i like the adjustible sight but if the shot is fast that might take time adjustin it. So would fixed sight be better?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

I really can't say if fixed is better or not it is a personal choice. If you are worried you won't be able to get it adjusted then go with a fixed pin sight.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Extreme Rt900 sight that i would sell if you are interested It is black, with a bright orange ring around the face. .019 pins. I shot 3d hunter class with it last year, and have practiced with it out at 50 yards. Its a great sight, solid as can be. IT also has a light with it. pm me if interested about it. Im wanting to get rid of it b/c one of my friends can get me a sword sight for really cheap.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=540696 51&albumID=2319464&imageID=39506989

If you are buying new, I would have to recommend either Sword, or Cobra's new sight which is fully adjustable w/out tools.

http://www.eders.com/products/1-cobra-drm-five-pin-sight-black-rh.html

http://www.eders.com/products/sword-twilight-hunter-micro-sight-black-rh.html

To shoot accurately at a distance like that, you are going to want to use .019 pins at the largest. You will also want a sight with a smaller face, which will enable you to use a smaller peep, which in turn will make your alignment more consistant, adn you more accurate.

Derek
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot any sight out to 50 yards if you have a pin for it. You mention adjustable sights, but I would only caustion you on one thing. A 50 yard shot is not a gimme under any circumstances and misjudge by 3 yards and you have a complete miss. Or the animal takes a step and you end up with a gut shot. For these reason I would recommend that if you don't have time to range the animal and take the 2 seconds to adjust the sight accordingly then that "fast" shot probably shouldn't be taken.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

What all these guys said.
Any sight is capable of shooting to 50 yds, its the shooter that often isn't.

BUT a little tip, and this is a good time of year, sometimes last yearsmodels go on clearance and you can pick up a good sight for less than normal.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

You can shoot any sight out to 50 yards if you have a pin for it. You mention adjustable sights, but I would only caustion you on one thing. A 50 yard shot is not a gimme under any circumstances and misjudge by 3 yards and you have a complete miss. Or the animal takes a step and you end up with a gut shot. For these reason I would recommend that if you don't have time to range the animal and take the 2 seconds to adjust the sight accordingly then that "fast" shot probably shouldn't be taken.

Good post and I will add one another thing. You should practice at a significantly longer distance than you would ever consider taking a shot when hunting. (i.e. Planning on shooting to 30 yards, practice to 50).

Even under the most favorable of conditions the adrenaline in your system will reduce your effective range.

If you are even considering making a 50 yard shot, you had better be able to consistently hit the same target during practice at 60 to 70 yards.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Good post and I will add one another thing. You should practice at a significantly longer distance than you would ever consider taking a shot when hunting. (i.e. Planning on shooting to 30 yards, practice to 50).

Even under the most favorable of conditions the adrenaline in your system will reduce your effective range.

If you are even considering making a 50 yard shot, you had better be able to consistently hit the same target during practice at 60 to 70 yards.
I second that post. If you are wanting to shoot consistantly at 50, 50 needs to seem like its not your max distance. I shoot out at 60 and 70 yards so i can make myself feel like 50 isnt far. So when i do go to shoot 50, it just feels like a slightly extended 40yard shot, instead of an OMG thats so f'in far shot. Confidence helps ALOT, so practice to ensure you have confidence.

Although i practice a ton, and i believe i could shoot a deer at 50 yards if the conditions were given and my mind was right, it would probably be only a 1 in 100 chance that it would EVER be attempted. I had many 45-50yd oppurtunities on deer this year, and i drew back on many of them to see what kind of shape i was in for that shot etc... Only one time this whole deer season did i feel i could have absolutely, no doubt hit the deer (killshot)without any problem from the distance. Teh deer wasnt moving and i was rock solid. I still didnt take the shot just b/c i didnt want to mess with it if i didnt make a great shot.
Derek
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I got a trophy ridge now and i use the bubble leverler and can hit 40 easily but thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Want to shoot 50 yards with my Bear lights out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.