Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much cam lean is acceptable to you >

How much cam lean is acceptable to you

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much cam lean is acceptable to you

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM
bigcountry

Default How much cam lean is acceptable to you

I just got my new guardian. I was all excited, and then drew back. slight grinding noise in top cam. Ok, so I troubleshot, and found the top bezel on the centerpivot was way tight from the factory and was the culprit. So I loosen and snuged up. Took out the axles and lubed. Now she is quiet.

Now, I break out the spot hogg laser. I have some cam lean. Very disappointing. Considering my commander has zero lean at rest or full draw. Checked for cam play with it pressed, and they feel nice and tight.

The laser shows it being out about 1/2" relative to the other cam at full draw on one cam and 1/4" on the other. In other words, my laser is 1/2" away from string track on the opposite cam.

Wonder is this acceptable from bowtech? Might not make a hill of beans difference, but I kinda expected more. Also this invelvet is delicate.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much cam lean is acceptable to you

Currently I have no way of checking cam lean. One thing that kind of keeps me from getting the laser and checking is this: My bows are shooting great and, knowing me, I could check for cam lean, maybe see some and then all of a sudden I am worrying about how my bows are shooting. Every little burp would be the cam lean and then I would tinker and fuss until that was "fixed".

If I could check cam lean that would be one more thing driving me crazy if the cams weren't perfect. Before long I would be working on the bows more than shooting them
Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier
If I could check cam lean that would be one more thing driving me crazy if the cams weren't perfect. Before long I would be working on the bows more than shooting them
Bruce, there are lots of guys like that!

Most of my BowTechs have had very little to No Cam lean, but I did have an 06 Ally that had a noticeable amount of Cam lean.
It bothered me for a while then I just put it out of my mind and shot it. I think it was one of the bestshooting Bows I've ever owned. The Cam lean definitely did Not bother my accuracy.

The worst Cam lean I've ever had was on a Cam and a half bow, the bottom cam.

Dan
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
bigcountry

I know, I worry too much. There is nothing quite satisfying as perfection. Perfect tune, perfect bullet holes thru paper. Do we all need perfection? Certainly not. But its quite satisfying.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I know, I worry too much. There is nothing quite satisfying as perfection. Perfect tune, perfect bullet holes thru paper. Do we all need perfection? Certainly not. But its quite satisfying.
For what new bows cost, I don't think you're expecting too much. You can buy a new Sako rifle and a nice scope that'll shoot, quite literally, bullet holes out to a few hundred yards, (and if you do your part, they'll even be touching) for what it takes to rig out a new bow. And that rifle will last at least your lifetime. Seems like people have gotten used to settling for whatever these arrogant manufacturers put out, rather than demand that something they pay nearly $1k for be pretty much perfect and trouble free (and if not, immediately replaced without question). I understand problems may arise in any manufactured object, but for what these people are charging for a bow, they should be bending over backward to make us, as consumers of their high-priced products, happy. Trust me, if I ever find a company with that philosophy, they'll have a customer for life.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Warden41272

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For what new bows cost, I don't think you're expecting too much. You can buy a new Sako rifle and a nice scope that'll shoot, quite literally, bullet holes out to a few hundred yards, (and if you do your part, they'll even be touching) for what it takes to rig out a new bow. And that rifle will last at least your lifetime. Seems like people have gotten used to settling for whatever these arrogant manufacturers put out, rather than demand that something they pay nearly $1k for be pretty much perfect and trouble free (and if not, immediately replaced without question). I understand problems may arise in any manufactured object, but for what these people are charging for a bow, they should be bending over backward to make us, as consumers of their high-priced products, happy. Trust me, if I ever find a company with that philosophy, they'll have a customer for life.
You know, I think your right on target. I think of myself as a decent bow tech. But for a 700 dollar bow, I should not have to take a bow apart to find troubles.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 101 has some cam lean at full draw for sure, but i can usually drive tacks with it so im not worried.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

My 101 has some cam lean at full draw for sure, but i can usually drive tacks with it so im not worried.

Wayne
But thats not the point. I was driving tacks back in 1982 with my bear whitetail II. Point is, we are paying a fortune for bows today. And bowtech is not hurting financially, so I think the one poster was right on target with we should expect everything to be perfect.

I mean we are not talking about shooting a Nova here.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that a person should get quality for their money and I think I might have taken the new bow back if it had a grinding noise instead of fixing it myself.

Now, with that said: If I buy a new bow and, after setting it up, it shoots dead on at any range I think I am getting what I paid for, a very good shooting bow. I don't really see any bow manufacturers claiming zero cam lean but they do make claims of "quiet, smooth, dead in your hand, etc." and if the bow does these things and shoots dead on, then, does the cam lean really matter or make it a worse product?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

does the cam lean really matter or make it a worse product?
Possibly not. I havent started serious shooting with the bow yet. But lets face it, cam lean has been haunting bowtech for a long time now. They can say a bunch of stuff. But the fact is, they have redesigned thier cams over and over because of the issue. It was a serious problem on some of the 06 bows I know. The proshop you and I know of, had tough times even paper tuning some 06 cam'd bows.

I have been lucky that all of my bowtechs have not had an issue with it until now. 1/4" is not the end of the world, and probably will not make a huge difference.

Think about what happens when you release that arrow. There should be no left to right vibration, no up and down. Cam lean would put a vibration on the arrow.

Quick Reply: How much cam lean is acceptable to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.