Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE >

GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE

Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Default GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE

which one would you chose?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE

3 blade rage for me. Im 3for3 with them this year. Until I have a failure, i will support and stick with them. Devastating wounds with quick recoveries, and supreme accuracy are my results so far. Ive had great results with them and have reaped the benefits of them this season. I have no say on the other though. Never used them. You will hear good and bad about both. Best just to give one a try and see how they work out.
Derek
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experence with the rage but my son has been using the Reapers for 5 seasons. He is 12 for 12 on deer hit with them. Yes he has missed but every deer hit was down quickly. This was my first season using them. I have always fought using them as I was a hard core fixed head guy. Well this next season will be the first time in a long time where I will NOT be trying something else. I will be sticking with the Reapers. I got one deer at 38 yards, a turkey at 51 and the head just destroyed that birdas it went only 5 yards and died and I got a fox at 43 yards. Very accurate head and very dependable.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM

I have only shot the rages personally and have hade nothing but great success from them massive blood trails quick recoveries. The only deer i have ever seen shot with a grim reaper was directly spined between the shoulder blades and it bent the broadhead itself. But that is a very tough spot on a deer and probably more hunters bad shoot than broadhead faliure.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started with Grim Reapers last year and I see no need to change. Every deer that I've shot with them in the past two years (total is 9) has died quickly. The realup side to me in shooting the Reapers after reading quite a few different threads on here is that every one of my 9 kill shots has been a complete pass-through and in the dirt. I have an exit wound AND an arrow to look at and judge when I climb down.

The down side to the Grim Reapers is two-fold. First, the entry wound. In all honesty, the entrywound is, well,... pretty pathetic. The exit hole, however, is devastating. Second, they're not that sharp. It's a good idea to touch them up, but it's a p.i.t.a. to sharpen them. It's worth it, but it's difficult.

The Rage, from all acounts, seems to be an outstanding and devastating broadhead, but there have been quite reports from guys shooting good bow setups who haven't been getting pass-throughs.

To each his own of course, but as for me,I'll take a small entry wound, huge exit wound and a pass-through over apossible, and I emphasize"possible"huge entry wound and no exit wound with the arrow running away with the deer.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I started with Grim Reapers last year and I see no need to change. Every deer that I've shot with them in the past two years (total is 9) has died quickly. The realup side to me in shooting the Reapers after reading quite a few different threads on here is that every one of my 9 kill shots has been a complete pass-through and in the dirt. I have an exit wound AND an arrow to look at and judge when I climb down.

The down side to the Grim Reapers is two-fold. First, the entry wound. In all honesty, the entrywound is, well,... pretty pathetic. The exit hole, however, is devastating. Second, they're not that sharp. It's a good idea to touch them up, but it's a p.i.t.a. to sharpen them. It's worth it, but it's difficult.

The Rage, from all acounts, seems to be an outstanding and devastating broadhead, but there have been quite reports from guys shooting good bow setups who haven't been getting pass-throughs.

To each his own of course, but as for me,I'll take a small entry wound, huge exit wound and a pass-through over apossible, and I emphasize"possible"huge entry wound and no exit wound with the arrow running away with the deer.
Thats why i shoot the 3bladesMore penetration and cutting surface.
Derek
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'm on record as really disliking the rage design so if you must go with a mechanical and not a fiixed headthen Reapers hands down. I tested both, the reapers blades are much muchstronger than the rage and the heads stay together in the quiver unlike the rage heads. The rage blades break if they come into contact with bone, they work fine on perfect hits but on marginal hits, they break and it's on the marginal hits that you need the cutting power more than anything. There wereseveral exampleson this site alone this year where people hit the front shoulder on quartering frontal shots and the rageblades broke off beforemaking it into the boiler room.

Another thing to consider on the rage,lets say you shoot, make a marginal hit or miss and get the opportunity at a second shot, are you going to have time to pull an arrow out of your quiver,reset it's blades like you have to before putting the arrow on your bow and firing thesecond shot? Ihighly doubt it.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

When death comes knocking, who do you turn too?

GRIM REAPER!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dopler

I'm on record as really disliking the rage design so if you must go with a mechanical and not a fiixed headthen Reapers hands down. I tested both, the reapers blades are much muchstronger than the rage and the heads stay together in the quiver unlike the rage heads. The rage blades break if they come into contact with bone, they work fine on perfect hits but on marginal hits, they break and it's on the marginal hits that you need the cutting power more than anything. There wereseveral exampleson this site alone this year where people hit the front shoulder on quartering frontal shots and the rageblades broke off beforemaking it into the boiler room.

Another thing to consider on the rage,lets say you shoot, make a marginal hit or miss and get the opportunity at a second shot, are you going to have time to pull an arrow out of your quiver,reset it's blades like you have to before putting the arrow on your bow and firing thesecond shot? Ihighly doubt it.
I have had two marginal shot experiences with my 3 blades this year. One was a direct shoulder shot, partially quartering too me. The arrow stuck in the opposite shoulder, no pass through. I honestly wouldnt expect many to pass through on that shot so... The deer went 45 yards. The arrow broke off and i didnt have a blood trail but... I watched her eat the ground so it didnt matter.-The other time, was my first doe of the season. She was hard quartering away, hit multiple ribs etc. and she went down in 50 yards. Complete pass thru. That one, I had a blade bent and was unusable. There was a massive blood trail. The other shot on my buck wasnt a marginal shot so i wont speak of that one.

Thats two of the marginal/awkward hits and both brought the deer down in my sight. No broken blades, no lost deer or fault in the broadheads part. The one bent blade imo is very acceptable for the angle the shot was on the deer. The arrow caught liver and both lungs so you can imagine how far it traveled through her. Im not arguing here or promoting the rage, these are just my experiences from this year and are factual accounts that i can let you see. Not trying to start a mechanical vs. whatever thread or anything.

Btw, I do like your idea Dopler about pulling out an arrow for a second shot. I will not disagree about the blades getting loose. They do have a tendancy to come loose. I use a hip quiver so that doesnt happen, but they are certainly harder to secure than most mechanical heads.
Derek

p.s. keep in mind i am using the 3blades. Many of the people (most from my memory) have hhad the major problems with the 2 blades. That is why i wont shoot them.

Here is a link to my deer killed this year. Please excuse that its my myspace link. I just find its the easiest way for me to share photos.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID =54069651&albumId=2319464

Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I used 100gr Gim Reapers this yr for first timeand my 8pt didn't go more than 50yds from tree. Double lung. I'am going to also trying 2 blade Rage, for late season. Had good blood from were he was standing all the way to him didn't need it and didn't have complete pass through.

Quick Reply: GRIM REAPER VS. RAGE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.