Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Online Shopping

Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Online Shopping

Hello. I am new to bowhunting and thinking about buying a bow off of the internet from Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. The only thing I am confused about after doing long hours of research is...how do arrows work? If I purchased them off the internet, would I have to cut them to size myself. And, how do field points work. When I go to purchase them, there are a bunch of sizes and Im not sure which size to choose?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Online Shopping

Some places will cut the arrows to the length you need them, but since you are buying online, you probably wont no what length they will need to be cut. You will probably need to go to a shop and have them cut for you and the shop will be able to install the inserts as well, and fit you with field tips. Most arrows bought offline will be raw shafts with nothing on them so you will also need to have fletchings put on too. I would suggest you just buy arrows from a shop and have them do everything, so you will know that you have the correct setup.
Derek
Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM

If you're new to bows, which it seems you are, you really need to go to a shop and get fitted properly so that you have the proper draw length and poundage, as well as a bow that feels comfortable in your hands. You also need to get the arrows cut to fit the bow and the points that fit the arrows. I've got no dog in this fight so it's up to you what you ultimately do with your money but you'll be much farther ahead in the long run if you take your business to a reputable shop and get set up correctly in the beginning rather than going through the expensive route of trial and error (and headache).
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with Derek and Kodiak -- One thing to add -- look for a GOOD archery shop around you. Try to avoid the big box stores because sometimes they don't have the most knowledgeable people working in there. I personally feel that most small archery shops are going to be better quality because they are not trying to just sell you new equipment to help their sales rating. Most, not all, small shops are there because they love what they do and just want to help people out -- at least that has been my findings. Thats not to say there aren't certain techs in box stores that know what they are doing though. Just to put into perspective on your searching -- it could take a while -- I have been researching strings for the past 2 months. It can be a tedious process and if I were you I would be as tedious as possible. Good Luck
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Defiantly going to hit up an Archery store.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else here.

If you're just getting into Bowhunting, you would be well served to find a good shop in your area that can properly fit you with a bow. If the bow doesn't quite fit you, you won't get the most out of it.

Look around in your area for a couple of shops, go to each and start asking questions. The place that helps you the most and patiently helps you pick a bow, arrows, etc. is the one to buy from.

As mentioned, becareful of the big box stores that sell bows. Most of the time, the people working there arent' all that knowledgable.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

One thing to add -- if you buy a bow from a "good" pro shopyou also get their customer service for life. Sometimes they will not charge you for small fixes -- I have actually experienced this at Gander too. A bow bought at a small shop might cost a little more -- or it might not-- but the owners will remember that you supported them and will often be there for you when you need them. AND spend as much time in your shop as possible -- your wife is gonna hate you but its the only way to learn
Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

One thing to add -- if you buy a bow from a "good" pro shopyou also get their customer service for life. Sometimes they will not charge you for small fixes -- I have actually experienced this at Gander too. A bow bought at a small shop might cost a little more -- or it might not-- but the owners will remember that you supported them and will often be there for you when you need them.
Good point most of the services we gave for free on bows that were purchased from us we charged for on bows that weren't. The difference in purchase price, if any, was made up pretty quickly.