Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Whats the easiest way to sight in a new bow? >

Whats the easiest way to sight in a new bow?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whats the easiest way to sight in a new bow?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the easiest way to sight in a new bow?

I'd start with pin tape to get all of your pin gaps close and then use your 50 yd pin at 3-4 yds depending on speed of bow. The method is geared toward French tuning the bow and I've usedit to to set new sights on my bow. An arrow travels in an arc andwill cross aplain drawn from your eye to the target in 2 places. Because the arrow starts below your pin and eye it will take a few yards to cross the plain the first time.

I've found with my bow that 4 yds is pretty closeto 50 yds. My arrows are around 293 fps with a 420 gr arrow. A slower bow would probably use 3 yds. You would have to experiment to determine the yardage you would need for the 60, 40 & 30 yd pins. However, the tapes can get you very close and I'd just use a distance that can also be used for tuning.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Once you've set your 20yd pin, this method may save you some time on the 30-50yd pins.
Set your 20yrd pin at 20yrds and back up to 30yrd. Hold your 20 yrd pin on target and shoot a 3 arrow group. Now draw your bow at 30yds; aiming, align your 20yrd pin on target and set the 30yrd pinat the3 arrow point of impact. Shoot one more group using the 30yrd pin at 30yrd and make your micro-adjustment.
After sighting in your 30yrd pin, back up to 40yrds and repeat the process using the 30yrd pin.
g/l
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Dave I would have to disagree with part of your post. If he sights in at 10 yards , unless he is shootinga bow in the sub 200 FPS range he will not miss the target at 20 yards. Also if he sights in at 6 or 7 yards and then backs up to 20 he is going to be shooting lower than if he had sighted in at 10 yards. With my 20 yard pin , shooting the Bird shot which is 35 feet, 30 feet, 25 feet and 20 feet. For the longest one I hold my 20 yard pin on the very bottom of the spot, for the next two positions 30 and 25 feet I hold dead on the center (hopefully) but for the closest position , the 20 foot, I have to shoot it like a 25 yarder. OT2 confirms my aiming spots for this target and it works. Other than what I disagreed with you on , no problem. One question though , you said you can sight or get close to a 50 yard mark by standing 3 or 4 yards away . So would I just put a spot on a target and aim at it and adjust my 50 yard pin till I am hitting it and I should be close for 50 then? That would really be great if it works since setting a 50 yarder for me is a real bugaboo (mental hangup at that distance). Thanks for your help Dave.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

archer 2,

You bring uppoints that I probably need to clarify. Disagreement brings discussion and that's why we are here, right?

I didn't say he would miss at 20. I stated that at 10 yds with a new bow there is a possibility to miss the target by a wide margintrying to get the initial sighting in done. You have a new sight on a new bow and initially have no clue where that first arrow is going to fly vertically (OR, horizontally for that matter but shouldn't be that far off if you've centered the pins over the arrow). Therefore, the closer you start the better off you are. I used to sight in starting with my 20 at close range but have found using the 50 and tape much easier and faster.

If you've ever shot your 20 at 10 youknow that it hits a few inches high. Therefore, you have to aim a little low to be on. I've never messed with the distance required since I always do the 50 yd sight in. You have to realize that you are using a very small target at a close range and the margin for error is zero. At that range the difference between a 20 and 25 yd shot is about 1/4" maybe 1/8". You are standing closer to the target and therefore it gives the illusion that you are aiming higher.I would probably stayawayfrom trying to site the 20 yd pin using the method I suggested for 50 yd pin.It's a lot harder to hold dead onthe further you get from the target. Especially trying to aim at an eraser sized spot.

I stated you should first use a tape to set the gaps. Then shoot your 50 at 3-4 yds. It works and works well and is much quicker then starting with the 20 and then trying to field judge the rest. This definitely helps with getting over the long range jitters. You need a aiming point about the size of an eraser or using this method will not work. You have to be dead on the aiming point. A spot is too big. I actually shoot an arrow into a target and then use that arrow hole as my aiming point. I've done this and went back to 50 yds and put 2 out of 3 in the center ring. It works well and I got the idea from a target shooter names Dudley. One benefit to this. If you do this and go back to 50 yds you will find out in a hurry if your bow is tuned.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do the same thing as you with the arrow hole. I aim at a previous arrow hole, and can litterally place another arrow in that hole from 3-4yds.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I have been at this game for 37 years but still learn new things all the time. Again , thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to sight in the other way for 29 yrs or so. just started sighting and tuning the way I suggested and have found I like it. The great thing about archery is there are many ways to skin a cat and each person has to find what is easiest for them.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

how do I find a sight tape for my bow?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can order a tape from here for $3.50:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/index.php?cPath=39_102

Or, download a trial version of Ontarget2 and set up a tape for your bow. To create a tape on OT2 you will need to have your bow info and arrow info.

Oh, I saw your request about French tuning. Here is a link. I'll also post it on your request.

http://www.dudleyarchery.info/articles/usarcher1FT.pdf
Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Tune before you sight.

This is pretty critical. You don't want to sight your arrows only to learn your bow is badly out of tune. You also don't want to get your 20 and/or 30 yard pins shooting good, only to realize the farther back you get, the further left or right your groups move from the center.

When I'm revamping my set-up, here is the process that I like to follow. To each his own, but here's what I do.

First, I paper tune. I don't mess with bare-shaft or anything because I don't change my arrows. Easton St. Epic 340's.

I get it shooting a pretty good bullet hole, a slight tear one direction doesn't bother me. I only paper tune to get it close.

Then, I step back to ten yards. I start with the tip of my arrow in line with the string in line with the sight pins. I get a pin hitting with field tips @ ten yards. I step back to twenty and shoot it. The only reason I start at ten because you have more room for error, and are less likely to lose arrows. At twenty yards, I make sure my point of impact hasn't changed much. If it has, I adjust my rest for left/right changes, and my sights for up/down changes. Once I get a FP hitting @ 20, I shoot a broadhead at the same target. I then move my REST until the point of impact for the two are the same.

I go back to 30, set a pin up for that, and repeat the process. field points first, then follow with broadheads.

I then do this at 40 and 50 yards (i use a four pin sight). The further back you go, the smaller adjustments you will make to your rest.

Once I am satisfied at fifty, I shoot at 20/30/40/50 one more time each, make sure I take good shots, and make sure it's hitting still.

At this point, you should be ready to go. I like for my sights/arrow tip/string to be inline when I am done, and it usually is, or very, very close. If it's not, you may have a bow-torque problem, or a spine-issue.

Good luck. This may not be the best method ever, but I like it, and it works for me.