HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Fletching cement (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/275683-fletching-cement.html)

BigRing 11-27-2008 09:38 AM

Fletching cement

I seem to always run into this problem. No matter how careful I am about sealing up an open tube of fletch cement...by the end of the season about half the tube seems to turn into a jelly like paste. Normally, I use the small tubes of cement. Do different brands last longer?

SwampCollie 11-27-2008 01:13 PM

RE: Fletching cement

In my experience its about like canned milk... it'll keep forever.... until you open it... then its a ticking bomb. Glue can actually go bad after a period of time (as you have expereinced). In a best case scenario it will turn to jelly.. worst case it won't... but the chemical properties are not what they should be.. and while it will stick and look fine.... as soon as you shoot it or put some side pressure on it the vane will come flying off like confetti out of a party popper.

I always buy mine in small quantities... usually just about enough for whatever I need. I use AAE Quickset gel for the actual fletching and I anchor the front and back with Goat-tuff.

RLoving1 11-27-2008 04:59 PM

Thats the good thing about super glue gel,comes in small tubes and about $1.69 for 2 tubes at Lowe's or home depot.Not expensive and what you don't use you can chunk and no biggie.I refletched 1 dozen arrows with 2 tubes last night...Blazers.Onestring recommends using it when you use their wraps,alot of us use it.

TFOX 11-27-2008 07:28 PM

The bad thing is that it does the same thing when on the shaft,it gets old and brittle.

That is the main reason I use Platinum Fletch Tite glue almost exclusivey now.It will keep much longer and last much longer.It won't last as long as regular Fletch tite but it dries much faster,nice compromise for me.

killzonearchery 12-02-2008 04:06 AM

i put a small pin in the tip and leave it and its always worked for me. ive had my bottle for about a year

BGfisher 12-02-2008 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The bad thing is that it does the same thing when on the shaft,it gets old and brittle.

That is the main reason I use Platinum Fletch Tite glue almost exclusivey now.It will keep much longer and last much longer.It won't last as long as regular Fletch tite but it dries much faster,nice compromise for me.
BINGO!!!!!!! TFOX, why do we think so much alike?

brucelanthier 12-02-2008 12:51 PM

Feathers and feather fletch tape. No worries :D

KodiakArcher 12-02-2008 12:56 PM

And if it gets into that jelly like state it can be thinned back to "normal" consistancy with a little MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), assuming that you bought it in a bulk can and not a tube. I buy mine in a pint can and put it in little squeeze bottles for use. When it gets too thick I just thin it down with the MEK.

TFOX 12-02-2008 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

BINGO!!!!!!! TFOX, why do we think so much alike?

Because we are "old school" tried and true way of thinking.

We just don't buy into the hype of things or the marketing.We TRY things and give HONEST evaluations of our opinions.When we see something we like,we say it,when we don't,we say it.:D

I tried the super glues but got tired of having to refletch the next year when I hit the fletching with an arrow and the glue was brittle underneath and the vanes would pop off.

bowdaddy1964 12-02-2008 09:08 PM

Take whatever glue/cement you use and keep the leftovers closed and in the refrigerator/freezer, I will keep for alot longer....Works !