Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 couple questions about hoyt kobalt. >

couple questions about hoyt kobalt.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

couple questions about hoyt kobalt.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default couple questions about hoyt kobalt.

I was looking at getting a new hoyt kobalt. I usually shoot a 27.5 inch draw length, and around 60 pounds. I found a hoyt kobalt that peaks at 26 inch draw length, and 40-50 pound limbs. I was wondering would it be possible to get at least another half an inch of draw length out of this bow by twisting the harness, or something? Would that give Me a little more draw weight too. Also with this bow completely peaked out 26" dl 50 pounds. everything maxed shooting a 340 grain arrow what could I expect the speed to be? Any info about this would be great thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: couple questions about hoyt kobalt.

Why would you want to drop 1.5" from your normal draw length? You should always shoot your proper draw length. You'll lose about 15 fps by reducing from 27.5" toto 26".

The Kobalt at your specswill be about 230 fps with a340 gr arrow and a peep, string loop.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Fork Horn

Well thats why I was asking if You would be able to get anymore draw weight, and draw length by twisting the harness up a bit. Someone told Me You could. I just found a really good deal on the bow. I didn't buy it yet. Since it only goes to 50 pounds I prolly won't. Now the same bow. Hoyt kobalt shooting 60 pounds, and 27.5" dl with a 340 grain arrow. What kinda speed could I expect out of that?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

You'd get about 265 fps with the 60# Kobalt at 340gr, 27.5" draw. It's not a good idea to twist/untwist your bow string. You can fudge with it a little but all you're doing is changing the length of the string that was intended for your bow after a certian point, you'll end upchanging the poundage of the bow and losingbow camefficiency, counter productive to what you're trying to do in the first place.

If you're on a budget, get a used one, there are lots of really great bows that you can pick up for about half of what it cost new just one year later. Many guys trade upevery year for the latest and greatest and that leaves some bargins out there.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

The Kobalt is available up to 28" draw length at 50-60#, this is what you need. Your archery shop can order it this way. The top ibo speed listed by Hoytis 280fps for a 28" @ 60#.

Sweet bow, picked mine up last night.
Mine is set at 25.5" @ 56#. I have no idea what the speed is nor do I particularly care. It shoots sweet and is whisper quiet.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex