HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   beginner question... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/275086-beginner-question.html)

jdowney85 11-23-2008 06:59 PM

beginner question...

i have never bowhunted.i bought my first bow this year and im slowly buying all the other goodies i need before next season(camo clothing,scent blocker and scent shield accessories,tree stand,boots,game calls...etc)

i guess my question is...for a beginner who isnt the absolute happiest about height but can handle it to an extent.if i use my climber and only go up like 10 feet can i still be an effective hunter?or is this too low?

rybohunter 11-23-2008 07:42 PM

RE: beginner question...

Depending on cover and terrain, 10 ft is going to be very difficult to effectively hunt from in my opinion. Even though treestands are widely popular, with some thought to setup, hunting off the ground can be just as effective and sometimes much more fun due to the extra rush of being eye to eye with your quarry.

Black Stick 11-23-2008 08:22 PM

I am the same way about heights, but you'l be suprised how easy it is to get into a climber stand. You can probably handle 15 to 20 feet.

Centaur 1 11-23-2008 08:38 PM

Since you're cautious you'll be more likely to follow the directions. Most people who have problems do something stupid like removing the strap that connects the top and bottom part of the climber. Or even worse never go up without a harness or adjust the cable length while up in the air. Go ahead and go up ten feet,I bet you go up twelve to fifteen by your third trip out.

RLoving1 11-23-2008 09:03 PM

I have only been up a tree standtwo times,not a bad experience at all.But I have hunted from the ground close to 15 times this year,if you watch wind,scent control,and match surrounding when you build blind the ground can be just as productive in seeing and potential for deer! Being up a tree has advantages when it comes to some movement and distance of spotting game.It's also easier to stay warm and have comforts around you if on the ground.The twotimes I was up a tree nothing moved once and I did get off a shot the other,80% of my ground sits I could have arrowed a deer.

BGfisher 11-24-2008 08:47 AM

Make sure you buy a good climber. Something like a Summit of your choosing. Probably with a bar around to give you more mental security. Use it during the off season to get familar with it. Remember, for hunting you'll most likely be setting it up in the dark---learn how. USE A FULL BODY SAFETY HARNESS. This goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway. You can die from a 10' fall. Follow all the manufacturer's recommendations.

As for only going 10'? It's not going to be as effective as 15-20' but you have to sart somewhere. Most likely, as you become more experienced you'll be able to go higher. It becomes a matter of confidence in you and your gear.

Here is something I do. I generally go about 15-18' with the foot platform. I use a 20" rope to haul my bow up, this tied to the front bar of my Viper. When I feel the weight of the bow I've climbed as high as needed.

Using a climber is not hard. It just takes practice. And climb slowly and set the two pieces into the tree snuggly. Do it right and people as close as 35 yards won't even be able to hear you. Which brings up another point----noisy treestands. There really aren't many that are noisy. Just noisy people operating them. Be slow, methodical, and safe.

bigcountry 11-24-2008 09:00 AM

I am not crazy about hieghts either. First of the season I go up 15ft-18ft. Now towards the end after living in a climber for months, I try to find trees I can up to 25ft-30ft. Go up 12ft at first. When it starts getting comfortable, go up more. All you are gaining is visibility mostly. You can work with the enviroment to hide you.

My first treestand was a warren sweat. The ones with the blade on it, I hated this thing. It was uncomforatable, dangeraous, and squeaks. I finally got an older summit, and still use it after 8 years 90% of the time.

Mikey S. 11-24-2008 09:38 AM

I hate heights too, but in my summit viper, I'm comfy at 20 feet, which is as high as I'll go. I feel safer in my climber than I do a hang-on stand as I hate tree steps and any type of ladders. I wear my harness, and strap it to the tree at the bottom, and never take it off till I'm back on the ground. Like another gentleman said, practice with it.

bcvd45 11-24-2008 10:02 AM

just dont look down;)....After one or two hunts you will find yourself going higher as you learn to trust your stand. Also a good harness does wonders for the mental part of hunting.

FSUBIGMAC 11-24-2008 11:05 AM

Learn to use both a tree stand and the ground. Personally I like the ground better because I can be mobile and can play the wind better if it swirling. On days where my back is hurting or I just feel lazy I sit in my stand. I'm not a height person either so I suggest a stand with a large platform.