HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Broadhead Tune (calling Big Country) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/274218-broadhead-tune-calling-big-country.html)

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 10:25 AM

Broadhead Tune (calling Big Country)

Big Country: If you remember I was having problems getting my broadheads to fly good with my straight fletched blazers. I was hitting about 3 in low and 3 in right. So, I got some new arrows fletched up with blazers with a 2 deg offset--BIG DIFFERENCE!!!. My left to right got fixed as I thought it would -- so my centershot is ok. However, I am still hitting about 1-2 in low consistently. I have tried moving the rest up, making me a little nock low at this point, and am still an inch or two low no matter what. Im not hard pressed over it because I know where my BH's are going to hit every time. BUT, I was wondering why they havn't adjusted to the FP group when moving the nock point/rest height. Is it maybe a incorrectly spinned arrow (GT XT Hunt. 7595 31in. 100 gr point). I followed the GT arrow chart when purchasing butI am one of those borderline people when it comes to spine. Maybe need the draw weight adjusted? Im probably not going to do anything drastic to my bow at this point because we are full swing in the rut-- but I am getting new strings and rest after this season and was wondering what I can do to fix this in the spring?

HammytheHunter 11-18-2008 10:34 AM

RE: Broadhead Tune (calling Big Country)

31" arrows?[:-] Wow! Are you maxxed out as far as poundage or shooting lower? I would think that with a heavy arrow like the 7595... that you would be better shooting the highest poundage that you are comfortable with (if not already). Have you tried increasing your tip weight to like 115gr or 125gr? These are just things that I remember when I was going through with tuning my BH's.

I had some issues with BH and FT accuracy a few weeks back and did some fine tuning to get things right. I know your pain.

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 10:43 AM

I'm shooting 68#. And yes 31" arrows -- hell I have a 30in draw -- when I say I barely fit into the Marquis I mean it. I havn't tried diff points because 1. Its so late in the season 2. Im that broke right now. Its something I am def gonna look into though

bigcountry 11-18-2008 10:56 AM

You know, you might have to move your nocking point down if you have maxed out your rest adjustment. I know its a pain and you might have to get a shop to do it. But it sounds as if you have max out the adjustment. I tie my own in and even I hate to drop my d-loop.

Your spined well. I would'n't worry too much about that.

Spine generally causes windage issues. Not up and down.

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 11:17 AM

Well.... the problem is that I am already nock low. So my arrow instead of having a down angle is right at if not a smidgen above parralel to the string already. Thats where I am confused. How can I be nock low and not hitting higher then FP's?

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 11:17 AM

edit -- not paralle but perpendicular. BLAH

bigcountry 11-18-2008 11:35 AM

Hmm, thats interesting. I forgot your shooting a single cam. I wonder if nock travel is playing an effect.

Basically with single cams, when you release teh string, your arrow does not fly perfectly straight off the bow. but due to the single cam design, it usually moves up a tad, then back down. Hense the reason, you have to adjust nock point 1/4" or higher than say a binary cam system.

Now the only thing that could affect this, is proper tiller, and cam timing. I have never owned a marquis, or set one up. But there should be some timing marks on the cam you or a shop can measure. As far as tiller goes, all anyone can do with a parallel limb bow is to bottom the limbs out (max wieght) and back off evenly to desired poundage. One can tiller tune, each time you take 1/4turn out of a limb, you have to readjust your d-loop. Can be tricky

OHbowhntr 11-18-2008 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

edit -- not paralle but perpendicular. BLAH
Try adjusting the other way. Sometimes, things do exactly what we wouldn't expect to do. If it REALLY consistent, at 20-40yds, then you may consider re-adjusting the sights. Sighting the bow to the BH's, and worrying about "perfecting it" in the spring!!! Nothing wrong with a 31" arrow when you have a 30" DL, somebody's just jealous.....

The spine should be fine, the only thing I might recommend would be upping to a 125gr tip, but if you're short on $$$$ like the rest of us, you'd probably be just as well to sight in to the BH's and "roll with it."

bigcountry 11-18-2008 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr
Try adjusting the other way. Sometimes, things do exactly what we wouldn't expect to do.

I agree, I have seen it a few times where an arrow will flip a tad, adn give the impression of high nocking point, or bounce off the riser some. Good suggestion.

FSUBIGMAC 11-18-2008 12:18 PM

Yeah I mean I have read tuning guide after tuning guide and I just at a loss of words and thoughts. I wasn't sure if a diff grain point or increase/decrease poundage might have been the solution. Something I am definately interested in playing with in the offseason. Sight it is? Who needs that? I am just gonna aim high HAHA. Its too cold to go outside unless I have a chance to see a deer. Again I know where I am hitting every time and am confident in making an ethical kill if i just aim and inch or 2 high. No worries just thought it an interesting scenario.