Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Walk-Back Tuning ? >

Walk-Back Tuning ?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Walk-Back Tuning ?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Walk-Back Tuning ?

In another post people are recommending "Walk-Back Tuning" - what is it?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Walk-Back Tuning ?

Start at about 3 yards and shoot at a target.Move yoursight (for doug)so you are hitting that target where you want. At least adjust your windage. Don't worry too much about up and down adjustments. Walkback is generally for rest windage adjustments.

Now walk back to 20 maybe 30 yards. Shoot a few arrows. If you are hitting left and right as you want, then move back to 40-50 yards.

Lets say at 50 yards, you hit 6" to the right, move your rest to the left until you are lined up horizontially. Now that you moved your rest, start over. Go back to 5 yards again. Adjust your sights so you are hitting horizontially exacly where you want. Start walking back again, making adjustments to the rest. Do this until you are satisfied to 60 yards.

In the end, you want to be able to hit same POI (horizontially) as out to 60 yards.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Start at about 3 yards and shoot at a target.Move your rest so you are hitting that target where you want. At least adjust your windage. Don't worry too much about up and down adjustments. Walkback is generally for rest windage adjustments.

Now walk back to 20 maybe 30 yards. Shoot a few arrows. If you are hitting left and right as you want, then move back to 40-50 yards.

Lets say at 50 yards, you hit 6" to the right, move your rest to the left until you are lined up horizontially. Now that you moved your rest, start over. Go back to 5 yards again. Adjust your sights so you are hitting horizontially exacly where you want. Start walking back again, making adjustments to the rest. Do this until you are satisfied to 60 yards.

In the end, you want to be able to hit same POI (horizontially) as out to 60 yards.

Do you use your 20 yard pin for every shot?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM

Go to ArcheryTalk.com and search for walkback tuning. There are much better discussions over there. I personally don't walkback to 60 yrds and I don't move my sights at all. Walkback tuning is for minute tuning ofyour rest.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start at about 3 yards and shoot at a target.Move your rest (I think you mean SIGHT ) so you are hitting that target where you want. At least adjust your windage. Don't worry too much about up and down adjustments. Walkback is generally for rest windage adjustments.

At least I hope??

For me, I eyeball everything, sight in a pin at 20 yds, maybe start at 10 or so, then zero a pin at 20. Then I shoot the same pin at 30 and 40 yds, HOPING (note: if it ever happens, I'll probably have a Heart Attack), but HOPING that the arrows fall in a straight line like this " l ", but more often than not, they will fall like this " \ ", or this " / ". If the pattern of the arrows falls like this " / ", then more the rest a tiny bit, 1/16 - 1/32" to the right, re-zero (optional depending on how close that 20yd shot hits when you shoot again), and shoot again. Basically, you are trying to CENTER the rest a best as you can, and you move the rest in the direction you want the longer distance arrow to go. After that, you can throw on some BH's and see how closely your BH fly to your FP's, OR BEFORE if you like, as I usually adjust my rest a little bit after a walkback when I put BH's on, because I find I wasn't quite as precise as I thought I was. Here's a good link on BH tuning.... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460 Over 30,000 views for GOOD reason!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe this will help -- don't say I never gave ya nothin:

http://www.redhawk-archery.com/walkback.html

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=646202&highlight=modified

if the second link doesn't work that means AT is down(happens way too often) try again in 15 minutes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pastorkhris

Do you use your 20 yard pin for every shot?
You can use any pin you want. Your adjusting your rest for centering. Not for elevation.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Start at about 3 yards and shoot at a target.Move your rest (I think you mean SIGHT ) so you are hitting that target where you want. At least adjust your windage. Don't worry too much about up and down adjustments. Walkback is generally for rest windage adjustments.

At least I hope??
Doug, I am starting to think you hang onto my every word.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mj23

Go to ArcheryTalk.com and search for walkback tuning. There are much better discussions over there. I personally don't walkback to 60 yrds and I don't move my sights at all. Walkback tuning is for minute tuning ofyour rest.
Guys, I am not sure how much a better discussion one needs on it. Its one of the simplest things a person can do.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 PM

Does it have the same basic effect of paper tuning? Getting your arrow to fly out straight by adjusting your rest?

Quick Reply: Walk-Back Tuning ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.