HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Speed Limit on Drop Away Rests? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/273209-speed-limit-drop-away-rests.html)

Roskoe 11-12-2008 01:21 PM

Speed Limit on Drop Away Rests?

I have been playing around with some arrows that are going quite a bit faster than my previous shafts. It seems like, at about 310 fps, the arrow occasionally hits the drop away rest and kicks up when leaving the bow. At 321 fps, it does it at least 1/2 the time. And down around 285 fps,no problems. Rest is a QAD Ultra. Are there some other drop aways that are made for these kind of speeds?

KodiakArcher 11-12-2008 01:42 PM

RE: Speed Limit on Drop Away Rests?

Isn't there a tall launcher arm for that rest? I'd be most concerned about why it isn't doing it every shot. If you're going to get ultimate accuracy, you've got to have ultimate consistency. Is it the fletching orientation, a form issue, a bent arrow, a soft spined arrow... why isn't it happening the same every time?

Black Stick 11-12-2008 03:51 PM

The first rest that I put on my 82nd was a QAD Ultra HD and I had the same problem. I now ust the Vapor Trail Limb Driver, which is great. Just check out their website. They have a video of how it works and as long as you set it up correctly, which if super easy, it will get out of the way of any arrow. Even ones traveling at 400+ fps (My buddy shoots underweight arrows out of his 82nd and gets 405 fps). I would not recommend doing that because I think it voids your limb warranty. Anyway, check it out.

m9a9g9i9c 11-13-2008 02:54 PM

Roskoe,

I agree with Rob, if it's a speed issue, then why isn't it happening all of the time ?
Which launcher are you using ? I'm using the shorter one, which I prefer, even if it hits the foam padding I have inside my riser.
I shot a 350gr arrow through it at 61#, which should give me some speed and it worked perfectly.
What I did notice it on the 82nd, when you pull back hard enough into the back wall, I think it gives the arrow more kick, but even then, no vanes hitting the rest.

F.

SwampCollie 11-13-2008 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Isn't there a tall launcher arm for that rest? I'd be most concerned about why it isn't doing it every shot. If you're going to get ultimate accuracy, you've got to have ultimate consistency. Is it the fletching orientation, a form issue, a bent arrow, a soft spined arrow... why isn't it happening the same every time?

Bingo... if it isn't doing it every time... then its either a set up or a shooter problem.

I've been known to snatch the trigger and jerk the bow up a time or two myself... I can make a tuned bow shoot a curve ball a big league all star would envy. ;)

drockw 11-13-2008 09:14 PM

^x2. could easily be a shooter problem.

I use the limb driver and get great results. just like stated previously, it acts on the actual limb movement so it will always clear as long as the limb moves. if that doesnt happen you have a way bigger problem lol!
Derek

MoNoFletch 11-15-2008 05:11 AM

I have found that with faster set ups...If I tie the lift cord LOWER on the cable (like down by the bottom of the grip)I get a faster response. I learned that setting up bows to shoot FOB's.

My current bow is shooting my Maxima's @ 322 with no problems.

im ocd 11-15-2008 12:21 PM

I'm using a Dropzone shooting Blazers cock fletch up.Currently shooting 283 fps, but it worked fine at 294 fps too.

Black Stick 11-17-2008 09:36 PM

The limb driver is just easy to setup and I have never had a fletching clearance issue.