HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/27314-hoyt-fast-flite-super-slam-rest-question.html)

tealboy 03-30-2003 02:36 PM

Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Last year, several of you helped me as a newcomer to bowhunting. I got myself in good enough shape to hunt but this year, I want to make some improvements to my equipment so i can focus simply on practicing, and not goofing around with adjustments.

I definately need a new bow sight, as mine allows very little pin adjustment. It is old and in bad shape. Any suggestions here are appreciated.

Second, I believe I should consider a new arrow rest. I have read a little about drop aways, but must admit, i still don' t know much about them, nor do i know if they are suitable for my old bow.

Last, given the age of my bow, am I throwing money at a bow that will never shoot like newer ones? It is 10 years old and some of you have said it is a fine bow, so that was good enough for me. But now that I am looking into new rests and sights, maybe I need a new bow. I don' t want to spend the money on one if you think mine is suitable for improving and these accessories will make a difference. I guess worst case, if i get a new bow next year, the rest and sight can go on the new bow, right?

Thanks for you help.

david

Hunt2Kill 03-30-2003 03:02 PM

RE: Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

Teal,
As far as a new sight goes, I would in a Archery Scope, they are much more reliable. For a new rest, I would focus on getting a Whisker rest. Although I am not a big fan of them and do not use them, they are very good for manuvering with a nocked arrow. Yes, you will lose some a few fps with this but for manuvering i would choose this rest. If you are looking for a new bow, I would check out hoyt' s line up. For around 325-350 you can get the MT Sport which is a bow I have shot and for the money is worth it. I Hope i could help

Arthur P 03-30-2003 09:07 PM

RE: Hoyt Fast Flite Super Slam: Rest Question

I wouldn' t get too all-fired extavagent with rests and sights and stuff for that ol' Hoyt. I' ve got a couple just like it and enjoy shooting them as much as any bow currently on the market. Problem with it is it won' t shoot like newer bows. The FastFlight isn' t a slouch, but most new bows will give the speed you get out of that one at 10 pounds less draw weight. You' d be better off saving your money and put high dollar accessories on a new high dollar bow.

Update your FastFlight with inexpensive stuff to get you thru while saving up for the new bow. For now, I' d stick with a basic rest like the GKF TM Hunter or Star Hunter (@$15) and an inexpensive, all metal, fiber optic sight, like something from Cobra or TruGlo (@$30). That setup won' t hurt your wallet too bad and is entirely functional. Doesn' t have a lot of bells and whistles or glamour, but it will put meat on the table as long as you do your part.