HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   one pin out to 40 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/273070-one-pin-out-40-a.html)

loogout1 11-11-2008 06:12 PM

one pin out to 40

Talking to a buddy of mine today after helping him find a doe he shot last night about the shot, etc. Turns out he shot her at 37 yards with his '08 General. He claims that he shoots one pin out to 40 with no up or down adjustment due to yardage. Is this possible with that bow? I know it's not the fastest out of all the Bowtechs and would probably believe him if it was a 82nd or a 101st. Just wondering cause it would be nice to just need one pin out to 40 and have that smoothness and quietness to boot.

Jimimac 11-11-2008 07:05 PM

RE: one pin out to 40

I've never seen a bow that can do that.

KBacon 11-11-2008 07:05 PM

NO!!!

OHbowhntr 11-11-2008 07:32 PM

Your buddy is FOS!!! Even at the BEST possible performance of that bow, you deal with about 7" of rise and fall between 5-40yds. He may shoot it that way, but he's not hitting overly well, I'll tell you that much. Even at 350fps, you have over 5" of rise and fall in that distance. Not likely that he's shooting overly well if he is shooting that way.

KodiakArcher 11-11-2008 09:01 PM

Depends on if you're talking about hitting a dime every shot or hitting the broad side of a barn. Between 10 and 40 yards he's probably dropping at least one foot, depending on his arrow weight. If he knows this and compensates accordingly then yes, it is possible. For someone to say that their bow shoots flat enough to use the same pin held dead on all the way out to 40 yards and be able to hit a deer size kill zone is stretching the limits of believability.

drockw 11-11-2008 09:52 PM

My 08 General with my Axis arrows at 420ish gr. at 70# shot those arrows at 268fps. My 101st shoots the exact same arrow at 290fps. i still use a 20,30, and 40 yard pin even with the 101st. there is no way and i, with experience would say hes full of it, to his face lol! they really arent fast bows at all, and like said above, even at an actual 350fps, you will still have a considerable drop which isnt accurate enough to say he can shoot "accurately" out to 40yds with 1 pin. Even if he had an ibo weight arrow and setup he still would only get around 300fps after a peep and loop and whatever string accessories.
Derek

bowdoc1 11-12-2008 01:18 AM

I'm shooting a black ice with 4oo axis at 280 fpsand I could shot one pin out to 30 yards. Itwould be3.5 inch's high at 10, 3 inch high at 20 and 4.5 inch's low at 30 yards if I sat my pin at 25 yards.thats good for a deer but, I still like to use 5 pins. At 3 to 5 yards I would haft to use my 40 yard pin because of my low anchor point. Go to your archer advantage program and you can see were to set your pin to get a one pin setup buy the size of the vital you going to shoot at.

gmil6184 11-12-2008 08:03 AM

I'd call BS on him. No way can you shoot from 0-40 yards without adjusting for yardage. I only shoot one pin out of my Fred Bear Truth and from 0-30 yards you can keep them all on a paper plate but just barely. Even if he was getting crazy speed (350+ fps) I doubt if it would be possible. I was my understanding that the general is not known for being particularly fast either.

loogout1 11-12-2008 08:37 AM

Yeah, thats what I thought. I dont know how good a shot he is, he does have 2 does under his belt this year, but Iknew it couldn't be possible. I dont care enough to bust him on it just figured I'd throw it out to the pros to see what your takes were on it. I think I did see a bow commercial(hoyt maybe) where some well knowns claim it shoots one pin out to forty. A little creative advertising I'm sure.

OHbowhntr 11-12-2008 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

I'm shooting a black ice with 4oo axis at 280 fpsand I could shot one pin out to 30 yards. Itwould be3.5 inch's high at 10, 3 inch high at 20 and 4.5 inch's low at 30 yards if I sat my pin at 25 yards.thats good for a deer but, I still like to use 5 pins. At 3 to 5 yards I would haft to use my 40 yard pin because of my low anchor point. Go to your archer advantage program and you can see were to set your pin to get a one pin setup buy the size of the vital you going to shoot at.
Good Points BD, I set my sights up differently than MOST people, and the only other guy I know on here that sets a site up similar on here is Buckeye. I set my bow up, and shoot at 20 or so yds, then walk back and get a feel for where I'm "safely" going to put my first pin without "overstretching" myself. I've settled on 24yds. as being a good spot to settle the first pin in as I'm only about 2.5" high at 14-15yds with that setting, which isn't enough that I'd worry about a hold-under on a deer. My next pin will come in at 32yds, anything past 27 yds. get a direct hold on the 32 yd. pin. I'm gonna be a touch high 3" or so, but again, that's acceptable for ME personally on a whitetail deer set-up, I could realistically use the 32 yd pin on a 24yds deer, but it's gonna be 4.5" high or so, and it that animal ducks too much, that's leaving too much room for error. At 40yds, my 24yd pin is at the top of the arc, and is going to be about 9" high, which is "right over the back" on MANY deer, so there ain't now way my 284fps rig could stretch that far, even my at 32yds, I'm gonna still be about 6" high, at 35-37 yds I split my 32 & 40 pins, 38-42 I hold "dead-on" with my 40.