Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

IBO speeds!!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Spike

Default IBO speeds!!

Looking at all the new bows and their advertised IBO speeds, I am curious about how accurate they are. Cana hunterexpect to see something close to some of these advertised speeds with a hunting arrow?? Or do the bow manufacturersput out higher numbers to sell their bows?? any opinions on this subject???
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Default RE: IBO speeds!!

IBO is under the following specs:
70# Draw Weight
30" Draw Length
350 grain Arrow

If those are your specs for hunting arrows and you, which would be very rare, then yes. Otherwise, no.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 PM

If you want to get those speeds and you are say a 28" draw length and have a 400 grain arrow, which is much more likely, you can increase your draw weight to 80# on many high speed bows such as the PSE X-force. I chronoed mine at more than 340 fps consistently with 73# draw weight, but I have a 29" draw length.

You should also know that they do not put vibration reduction devices, a peep, or a d-loop on the string to minimize its weight. If it's lighter, it's faster. Some companies won't even put a peep sight on for that very reason.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:55 AM

Simply put..........NO!

Most get about 30-40 fps slower or more.

Bowtechs seem to be the closest that I personally have witnessed. Bear and Mathews appear the worst.
This based on watching avg hunters come shoot their new bow through a chrony.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Spike

I was just curious because when some hunting mags conduct their own speed tests in their bow reports, their IBO speeds don't match up with the advertised IBO speed. just got me to thinking that there might be some truth stretching there!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Based on reasonable estimates, my X Force would produce IBO speed if I adjusted draw weight, draw length (I have mine set 3/8'' short of 29'') and arrow weight.
I have found this chart to be accurate:

Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

Based on reasonable estimates, my X Force would produce IBO speed if I adjusted draw weight, draw length (I have mine set 3/8'' short of 29'') and arrow weight.
I have found this chart to be accurate:

Thats reasonably accurate I think.

For every inch you drop below 30" you'll lose on average 10fps... I've seen it be as high as 15fps. All depends on the bow and cam system and a few other variables.

Every 3 gr of arrow weight +/- will net you +/- 1fps.

Peak draw weight, I've found that its usually around 1.5 to 2fps per pound.

If you take your bows IBO speed, and use a rough round about... it might well be making advertised speed.... but keep in mind thats with nothing on the string.

A bow that is 30" draw, 60# with a 300gr arrow should shoot the same speed as it would with 70# and 350gr.

FWIW... I've never seen a bow right of the box meet or exceed advertised speed. Put a high quality aftermarket string on.... do a little tuning... and I can usually get them over IBO. If your draw length permits.

For hunting.... speed is pretty much academic... missing with authorityis still just missing. Faster bows are typically more difficult to shoot well. Lighter arrows that produce faster speeds don't tend to penetrate as well below certain speeds and with certain broadheads. Faster arrows are certainly more difficult to manage with fixed blade heads... 280-290fps tends to be the line of demarkation. Above that, you need a speed specific fixed blade head. And you can pretty much forget about seeing your arrow in flight...which is a big deal when you don't know what kinda shot you've gotten on an animal.

IBO speeds give you a general idea... and more than anything else... its a red badge of courage for a bow in the sales arena. Speed sells.... period.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM

As you can see by my signature, I'm shooting in the 283-293 range depending on the bow. What the blistering IBO speed allows me to dois turn the draw weight back and still produce 69-74# of KE. Peoplehave the option ofeither backing off the draw weight or shooting a heavier arrow at a reasonable speed, with a higher IBO.
My wife shoots a Bowtech Equalizer and the fairly high IBO allows her to produce exceptional power for her draw weight and draw length. Short draw and low draw weight shooters may benefit from faster bows.
Faster bows do typically have agressive draw cycles and short brace heights; regardless, I shoot the X Force exceptionally well. Other factors like grip, draw stop (or lack thereof), balance, intangables.... factor into each individuals performance with a given bow.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Spike

Good info! Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

As you can see by my signature, I'm shooting in the 283-293 range depending on the bow. What the blistering IBO speed allows me to dois turn the draw weight back and still produce 69-74# of KE. Peoplehave the option ofeither backing off the draw weight or shooting a heavier arrow at a reasonable speed, with a higher IBO.
My wife shoots a Bowtech Equalizer and the fairly high IBO allows her to produce exceptional power for her draw weight and draw length. Short draw and low draw weight shooters may benefit from faster bows.
Faster bows do typically have agressive draw cycles and short brace heights; regardless, I shoot the X Force exceptionally well. Other factors like grip, draw stop (or lack thereof), balance, intangables.... factor into each individuals performance with a given bow.
i completely agree. That is why i got my 101st at 60# I can shoot at 61# with my easton axis 340 at around 400gr. and push it at 290fps. That is with custom strings and tuning. That is smokin fast and way more than i could possibly need. My General only pushed that exact same arrow at 268fps at 70#. although the draw on the 101st is rougher, it is easier to hold and shoot. A speedier bow does have its advantages in the right hands. You dont need it, but it can help.

My victory target setup shoots 320fps and is pretty much right at ibo specs (close enough).

That being said, from what i have heard, hoyt is the best at making/beating their advertised speeds. Ive never seen it, but lots of people put their word on it.
Derek

Quick Reply: IBO speeds!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.