HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Tips for Speed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/27064-tips-speed.html)

UpNorth 03-26-2003 08:14 PM

Tips for Speed

I am playing around with my new Hoyt RazorTec. I am shooting 28-1/2" draw, 68 pounds @ 65% let-off, 440 total grain arrow w/ 4" vanes and 100 grain tips, release w/ a loop, drop away rest, 1/8" surz peep, string leaches, Stealth 6" stabalizer. This currently shoots 261 FPS. I shot a 336 grain arrow at 295 fps.

Any tips on how to pick up some speed? This is my hunting rig so a super light arrow is not a option.

Winner Choice strings?
Different Style Peep?

Thanks for the Help.

bigbulls 03-26-2003 08:26 PM

RE: Tips for Speed

A Winners Choice string might give you a couple FPS but not much. 261 FPS isn' t too bad with you only having a 28.5" draw length.
There are only a few ways to increase speed.
1) increase draw weight (doable)
2) increase draw length (not a good idea)
3) decrease arrow weight (you don' t want to)
4) get rid of or use lighter stuff on your string
5) make sure that your cam is set at it' s optimum rotation

corey006 03-26-2003 10:03 PM

1) Goto a NO-Peep or Hindsight. Everything taken off your string will increase speed.

2) Goto a pure teflon cable-slide. Less friction will mean more speed

3) Increase draw weight.

4) Shoot off the string and goto longer draw length.

Fletchead 03-26-2003 10:17 PM

Bigbull answered it well. Other than dropping arrow weight not much you can do to gain serious accurate speed.The only thing else I would say, if its really important, just lie. As long as nobody shows up with a chronograph, it should work. If they do show up with a chrony, just fake an injury. If they ask to shoot your bow, tell em your that boy in the plastic bubble and your highly prone to infections which are not only passed by inhalation but also passed by other peoples hand grease. You might tell em you have John Travoltas autograph by the way, and hes a really great guy. That will add some realism to your story.If they ask how you can be out of the bubble, tell em your holding your breath, and have been for about an hour. Now tell em all this talking is winding you, and you must get back to the hospital and take a little refresher nap in the oxygen tent. That should work. Just lie.

jsasker 03-27-2003 10:26 AM

I agree--when the goin' get' s tough--LIE LIKE HELL[>:]

BOWFANATIC 03-27-2003 08:37 PM

Bigbull answered it well. Other than dropping arrow weight not much you can do to gain serious accurate speed.The only thing else I would say, if its really important, just lie. As long as nobody shows up with a chronograph, it should work. If they do show up with a chrony, just fake an injury. If they ask to shoot your bow, tell em your that boy in the plastic bubble and your highly prone to infections which are not only passed by inhalation but also passed by other peoples hand grease. You might tell em you have John Travoltas autograph by the way, and hes a really great guy. That will add some realism to your story.If they ask how you can be out of the bubble, tell em your holding your breath, and have been for about an hour. Now tell em all this talking is winding you, and you must get back to the hospital and take a little refresher nap in the oxygen tent. That should work. Just lie.

How fast are you flingin arrows fletchead?:D

Fletchead 03-28-2003 09:50 AM

Bowfanatic, I think it would be more fun to lie the other way to mess with the speed junkies heads. Theyll ask and you could say," I just ran it through one yesterday, and Im getting about 235 out of this Q2 or whatever your shooting . Then theyd say, " That cant be right cause it doesnt look much slower than theirs and their getting 290 or some such number. Then ask em what model chrono that it is they use, and then say " Thats what I figured. You know they recalled those cause they were reading way high." If a guy kept a B.K 2 always on hand for resale, I could see some money getting made here.

c4extrem 03-28-2003 04:33 PM

on a twin cam
if it has replacable moduals install ones that is 1" long draw length & put some rotations in string & cables to get cams in time & back to 28.5" draw
Ive gotten up to 15fps by doing that on a 42" ata bow :D
good luck
Greg

Trebark 03-29-2003 05:12 AM

What' s wrong with 261?
Charlie

UpNorth 03-29-2003 06:11 AM

Nothing wrong with 261, I am just the type of person that likes to play around with a set up to try and get a little more speed.

Maybe next year I will get a Winners Choice string, as the factory one likes to rotate about 3/8 of a turn when I draw. My Winners Choice on my UltraTec does not turn the peep at all.