HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Sight Pin Spacing.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/270447-sight-pin-spacing.html)

Whitehorn 10-28-2008 12:44 PM

Sight Pin Spacing..

Question..

I was told that if I sight in my 20 pin and 30 pin I can duplicate that same gap between pins for all pins.. Works for my bow and it shouts 240 fps with my arrows.. Will this rule of thumb work for all bows? Faster and slow?

thanks.

rybohunter 10-28-2008 01:07 PM

RE: Sight Pin Spacing..

It'll get you ball park. But generally the gap from pin to pin increases the farther out your get. This may be almost undectable to the eye though, depending on speed & fletch type used. Set them and then shoot to see if it holds true.

drockw 10-28-2008 04:51 PM

^stated well. It cant work physically at all yardages because of wind drag which slows the arrow speed down. If the coeficiant of drag was gone and the arrow was a constant then your sight pins would be the same distance apart every 10 yards out to infinite. But, wind drag slows your arrow down the further it goes thus, making the pin gaps further at further distancces. if you had a 60 and 70 yard pin, the gap between those two would definately not be the same as the 20-30 pin gap. understand?

as far as the idea for that working on all bows, im not really sure b/c each bow is subjective to arrows and tunings that could cause odd results.
Derek

KodiakArcher 10-28-2008 05:12 PM

I find that mine works fine that way out to 50 but then you can see the gap increase 50-60 and 60-70. Depends on the setup.

TFOX 10-28-2008 09:11 PM

It will actually increase slightly if set correctly on all 10 yard increments,regardless of speed.That being said,the human eye might not be able to detect the difference in the pin gap at shorter distances,especially if using a large pin.

drockw 10-28-2008 09:17 PM

^Exactly. Once your arrow reaches the highest point of trajectory (say 10 yds) from then the gap in ten yard incriments is spacing out more and more.

Come to think of it, my buddy that i shoot 3d's with xforce hunter setup is a 4pin site, and all of the pins are sooo close together. the cluster of the pins is what really makes them all look like the same gaps though.

mauser06 10-28-2008 09:28 PM

yep, the others are right...the gap actually grows as you get to longer yardages...sometimes it hard to see...other times its not..depends on the setup and sight..

ive noticed with my Viper with the extension, i can really notice the difference...and, the gap is farther apart than my old .029 setup without an extension which is normal because of the extension and .010 pins

drockw 10-28-2008 10:04 PM

oh yeah, the .010 pin makes a huge difference

Whitehorn 10-29-2008 09:21 AM

Thanks for all your feedback, makes perfect sense to me..

Cheers.