HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Outback Draw Length Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/270300-outback-draw-length-question.html)

Roskoe 10-27-2008 05:51 PM

Outback Draw Length Question

I have one of those "tweener" draw lengths - 29 1/4". I have Mathews Outback that currently has a 29" cam on it. I have also purchased a 29.5" cam. Am I better off to stay with the 29" cam, and run a little longer ATA to increase the draw length; or to put on the 29.5" cam and twist the bowstring to reduce the ATA/draw length - to achieve 29 1/4"? Thanks. Roskoe

SwampCollie 10-27-2008 06:17 PM

RE: Outback Draw Length Question

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have one of those "tweener" draw lengths - 29 1/4". I have Mathews Outback that currently has a 29" cam on it. I have also purchased a 29.5" cam. Am I better off to stay with the 29" cam, and run a little longer ATA to increase the draw length; or to put on the 29.5" cam and twist the bowstring to reduce the ATA/draw length - to achieve 29 1/4"? Thanks. Roskoe

Put the 29" on there and let it eat. Its better to be a bit too short in draw length than a bit too long. I wouldn't take the bow out of spec for the sake of 1/4". You get to messing with cable and string lengths much on a mathews and your cam or idler will start leaning, or you cam will under/over roatate... and you think having a tweener draw length makes it hard to shoot well.... you ain't seen nothing yet!!! :D

If you can honestly notice that big of a difference (and I have the exact same draw length as you, and I can tell, but my shooting isn't effected by shooting a bit short) then you can leave a little bit longer D Loop to compensate for your anchor point. I don't really overwhelmingly recommend it, as most releases are adjustable at least that much, 1/4" is about the length from the low point to the end of most common arrow nocks... it ain't much to worry about.

I've noticed that I shoot a bow thats 29" ten times more consistant than I do one at 29.5". I can feel the difference, but still... 29" in a bowtech fits me better than 29" in a mathews... probably because of the draw stud... makes it easy to get an extra 1/4" ;)

Roskoe 10-27-2008 06:52 PM

Sounds like you are doing the same as I am with the stud. My vectrix XL has a draw stop stud - which I remove and get another 1/4" in length. It is perfect. I really don't mind drawing into the back wall a bit on the Mathews. You are probably right.

Dryridge 10-28-2008 02:01 AM

Swamp Collie Nailed It....nothing more to say.

TFOX 11-03-2008 06:48 PM

I would just increase the loop and adjust my anchors to suit (which you probably won't notice a difference in) with the 29" but if I were a betting man,I would bet the Bow is already pulling over 29" with the 29" cam.

Another option would be to remove the grip and just put athletic tape around the riser and shoot it as is.This is how I would have to shoot a Mathews.

I am pretty much the same as you and shoot a really long loop,but it works for me because I also have a long nose.[&:]:D

Roskoe 11-08-2008 11:59 AM

My nose, alas, is only 1.1" long. Maybe the silicone doctor can add another 1/4" [8D]