Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rage 2 Blade

Old 10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage 2 Blade

I just bought some rages and I was wondering if I would get adequate penetration with the set-up I am using. A guy I know was questioning it, so I thought I would ask here.

I am currently shooting a 08' Hoyt Kobalt set at 45 pounds. 345 Grain arrows flying at about 215 fps.

Im a girl, so thats why the draw weight is so low. just in case you were wonderin lol
Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage 2 Blade

Jenna,
I hate to break it to you, but I think you're WAY short on KE to even consider a RAGE BH. You should be looking at COC BH's almost exclusively IMHO. But you may find a few smaller cutting diameter Fixed that you can adequately punch through a deer. You don't want to loose the first buck you shoot because you made a poor equipment choice though.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

I pull 55# and I lost the first buck I got a shot at. I was using the Rage 2 blades. I have no doubt that if I were either pulling more draw weight or shooting a fixed blade, I would have recovered my buck. I hit him in the shoulder, which limited my arrow penetration. I'm still upset with myself. (I am going to increase my draw weight)

It only takes you one mistake like that to learn. Losing a deer is one of the worst feelings.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, definately go with a cut-on-contact or a small diameter fixed blade such as a muzzy 75grain. Thats what i would go with if i were you. i killed my first two deer with a muzzy 75 grain bh at 45ish #'s. with your speed and setup youhave 34.91#'s of KE. youprobably barely have enough KE to go 3-4 inches into the deer on a good hit with a rage. in the shoulder, i think it would be bad news. Sorry to send you negative info, but at least youve found out before it was too late. Good luck with it, i wish you the best.
Derek
Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 AM

KyDeerhunter, I too will agree. I am a former pro shooter and longtime hunter with >200 kills to my credit. I was in a terrible car accident about 5 yrs ago and tore my left shoulder completely in two. Had reconstructive surgeries with a goal of shooting a bow again. I did shoot a little for 2 yrs. I had Mathews make me a 30-35# pull Switchback. I shot it at 32#. I took 2 bucks with it, both died inside 40yds. One was a complete passthrough the other a double lung, off shoulder smack. I was shooting Magnus Stingers. Now my son uses them and I use them in my xbow. These are good quality sharp as razors and have a lifetime guarantee. I did a test/review for Mike Sohms, owner of Magnus before the accident and wrote an article on them. He sent them to me and said asked me to just be honest about what I thought. Good or Bad and write an article. Well, anyone willing to put his credibility on the line like that, I said sure, send me a pack. Well the article was not just positive, it was the best review I have ever given a broadhead. I never asked Mike for another pack. I pay the same as you because they are worth every penny. My son dumped a big doe just 2 nights ago with a 24yd double lung hit through both shoulders from a groundblind. Because of the cover we didn't see her drop but we heard her. Didn't go 60yds.

Bottomline~ as much as I hate to tell you those $40 Broadheads are not for you......the truth is they are not and I tried to give you enough background to qualify my opinion of what you should try.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted onwhat you choose and how you do this year.

Dryridge

PS: if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I love helping newbies and teens get started off right.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had people on here tell me to get them last year and my set-up was even less of a draw weight, so I was just confused lol

I will defnitely return them and stick with my muzzys for now. It aint worth losing a deer over.

So how much weight would I be able to consider rages? I am gonna be buying new arrows this spring and having a friend of mine get my speed up to 260 fps and I am pretty sure I will be pulling 50 pounds next season too, but is that still too little??
Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at magnus stingers
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

I had people on here tell me to get them last year and my set-up was even less of a draw weight, so I was just confused lol

I will defnitely return them and stick with my muzzys for now. It aint worth losing a deer over.

So how much weight would I be able to consider rages? I am gonna be buying new arrows this spring and having a friend of mine get my speed up to 260 fps and I am pretty sure I will be pulling 50 pounds next season too, but is that still too little??
Jenna,
What's your DL??? I'm not really sure even a 50# bow would be packing enough energy that I'd risk it. And in another 10yrs, I may be dealing with this as my 4 1/2 yr old is already wanting to know when she can get a bow. 260fps is quick, but if it takes a really light arrow to get there, you lose lots of energy, which ends up setting you back. If you have a ping pong ball and a tennis ball, one may travel much faster, but the other is gonna have much more energy behind it. I think a BT Equalizer is about the most capable low-weight, short-draw bow out there, and you may be able to get a 300gr up to around 260fps or so, but you still only have 48ft/# of energy, and I really HONESTLY think you'd still be putting yourself at risk for a heartbreak were that nice 140-ish 10pt came walking through and you shot him. Again, not trying to bust your bubble, but I'd certainly hate to see your bubble busted because or a poor equpment choice. Ashamedly, I've been there years ago, most d/t ignorance, but I've paid that price a few times over. Muzzy's may be just fine, but I personally might look at the Magnus if I were you as mentioned above.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I used a cheapo walmart broadhead to kill my first deer and it was a pass-through shooting 40 pounds with a Browning Micro Adrenaline. That bow shot WAY below 215....possibly like 180 or 190 fps. That thing was crazy now that I look back.

I know this Hoyt has alot more power behind it, even though I am only shooting 5 pounds more than last year. I can be almost certain that any fixed blade broadhead placed in the proper spot will defnitely get a pass-through with the my new bow.

Thanks for all the help though, I am gonna be putting 40 bucks back in my pocket later this evening lol
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

I would say that 60# is usually the rule of thumb for shooting mechanicals.

Quick Reply: Rage 2 Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.