Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Im about to give up >

Im about to give up

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Im about to give up

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM

Default RE: Im about to give up

what is the spine consistency of your arrows that has alot to do with it. If your shooting arrows with poor spine consistency you will always have bigger groups.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You SERIOUSLY need to go to a pro shop!!!! It sounds like a combonation of improper/inconsistant form,wrong draw length/fit,and possibly your bow needs to be checked to make SURE it's adjusted and tuned right. I would venture to say wrong form (torqueing bow) and wrong draw length is most of your problems. Torqueing the bow is usual reason for inconsistant horizonal shots. If you go to a pro shop,they'll gladly help you with all your issues. I cannot say this enough-go to your local pro shop. That's the ONLY way you'll know for SURE what's wrong. A static picture won't reveal if you're torqueing the bow or if it's not tuned correctly.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sky_guy_61

Over the past 3 years my shooting has steadily improved (mostly thanks to tips from this web site). However, I just cannot get the consistency I want. Most of the time I can get a 5 inch group at 20 yards (and sometimes MUCH better), [Not to offend you, but a 5" group at 20yds isn't very good in all honesty] however too often I will shoot wide (either right or left) 3 or more inches. I believe I am doing something with my bow arm that is hard to figure out. It seems that I have tension in my shoulder that makes the shot go one way or the other. [Sounds like you may have too long of a drawlength, how tall are you and what is the bow set at???]

I think my form is good like in the Randy Ulmer video. I have a consistent anchor, consistent grip, and I rotate my shoulder down so that it is locked. It just seems there is something I am doing that has to be just perfect or I mess up. This seems to happen more often when I am tired from shooting, but it sometimes happens even at the beginning of a shooting session.

Is there something I can do to minimize this? Do I need to shorten (or lengthen) my draw length? My anchor is my ear. [Probably too long...] Sometimes (not too often), the string will slap my forearm... which would probably indicate my grip is wrong.. [Likely a combination of two things, too long of a drawlength, and you you may be over-gripping the bow, practice using an open hand where the only thing the grip is in contact with is the base of your thumb, not your palm. If you don't have a wrist-sling, GET ONE, it allows you to relax and not be afraid of dropping the bow.] but I have experimented with loose and firm grips. I havent tried adjusting draw length because I dont have a bow press.. but will rig something up if anyone thinks this is worth a try. [Do NOT at any cost, try to press the bow yourself, leave that to a trained professional, and get measured and get your set-up all fine tuned while there. We can help you out somewhat from our keyboards, but you need to make sure your bow FITS you before you get frustrated and start hating archery. Get set up right, and you may be shooting those 5" groups at 40yds, not at 20!!!! ]

Because of consistency issues, I dont bow hunt too often. When I do, I make sure to set up for a close shot within 20 yrds. I really want to figure this out because I want to be a great archer.

Thanks for any info
Read the BLUE where I responded to some of your statements...

Not to bash at all, but if I couldn't get groups better than 5" at 20yds, I'd put my bow in the trash, and give up. But you're at least persevering through this, so get to a shop and get everything where it ought to be for you, and you will be a BETTER archer. Also mentioned before, is follow-through, hold that bow up there after you've release as if you're still aiming it at the target even after the arrow is gone, it will help keep you from "cheating" your form and dropping that bow arm. I think a LOT of us find that when we start getting erratic, we go back to our form and often times find we aren't keeping good follow-through.

Good Luck, post up a pic and some info on your set-up, and we may make you a "Good Archer," but only much understanding, practice, and good eyes among other things will make you a "GREAT ARCHER." And there are a few here that are "GREAT ARCHERS."
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

After the shot, does your bow arm stay steady or is the bow moving. In other words, your bow arm should be rock solid after the shot just as before.
I believe I am keeping the bow arm steady after the shot.. but I will get some pics (and video if I can). I dont know if my local bow shop offers coaching, but I will check it out.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

After the shot, does your bow arm stay steady or is the bow moving. In other words, your bow arm should be rock solid after the shot just as before.
I believe I am keeping the bow arm steady after the shot.. but I will get some pics (and video if I can). I dont know if my local bow shop offers coaching, but I will check it out.
Thanks for the tips!
You may not even need "COACHING," you may just need to get the bow "FITTED" to you.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 AM

Like some others said.....(except I am not gonna say "maybe")yourdraw is too long. Anchor on your ear???? Anchor what on your ear? I can't see any good form except a string loop and a back tension release that could get your hand to your ear and then only the back of your hand. The string slapping your arm is another giveaway but the number one reason I say it is for sure is the left and right stringing of the arrows. If it was too short you usually string up and down or consistently low left.

A pic would be great but tell me a few things:

1. What do you anchor on your ear?
2. Do you use a peep, or Kisser?
3. What type of release do you have? (fingers, wrist strap, handheld, etc)
4. Do you use a string loop. If so how long is it?
5. Do you have a wrist sling and do you use an open hand.
6. Can you touch your nose on the string at anchor? If no, why? Is it back past your nose or too far in front?

I would take to bow to a local shop and have them shorten the draw length. Next,add a kisser button no more than 4" above the nocking point, this will keep your draw short enoughthat you put on your upper lip at the edge of your "eye tooth" or "fang tooth". A lip moves and the distance from eye to lip can changes as it does but the distance from a tooth to your eye never changes. Next your hand should not be as high as your ear (unless you have a loop and back tension release). If you do all this, your anchor should be kisser to lip/tooth both at the same time. Then look through the peep and ease your nose to the string. You are now ready to aim and shoot.

More info would def. help and again a pice would be great. But, we can talk this through. I just worked a guy through the same issue 2 days ago. Got him shooting bullseyes now. But we started out on a blank target face. That's another days work though.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Could be draw length if your slappping your arm. Trying to shoot to much weight? I know when I try to man up and draw to much weight, my accuracy really suffers. I can stack them up all day, but if I catch myself off, 90% of the time its the follow through.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe the advise you got here is the problem. jk

It's tough to figure what's the problem when you don't have a place to start that you knows good. Stopping for a while isn't a bad thing. Maybe you'll remember the good and forget the bad.

IYou mighttry shooting someone elses equipment that you know is good. Even if you don't shoot it to the same place they do you should shoot it to the same spot. If not, it's you for a start.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Over the past 3 years my shooting has steadily improved (mostly thanks to tips from this web site). However, I just cannot get the consistency I want. Most of the time I can get a 5 inch group at 20 yards (and sometimes MUCH better), however too often I will shoot wide (either right or left) 3 or more inches. I believe I am doing something with my bow arm that is hard to figure out. It seems that I have tension in my shoulder that makes the shot go one way or the other.
I'd hate to hear what your shooting was three years ago.

Your shooting is probably a variety of factors. One, your bow may not even be able to shoot good groups. It may not be set up right at all.

Second, you could be doing any number of things wrong.

Definitely go to a pro shop, tell them your dilemma, and get fixed up.

I, for one, know I torque the bow a little if i'm not careful, which results in it flying an inch or two up and/or to the left. Sometimes it's even more than that.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I finally got a pic. Here is the setup:
- The bow is an older model Jennings 'Gale Force'
- poundage = 60
- using loop string.. it adds less than an inch to draw length
- Tru Ball release
- using nocking bead as rear site with pins on the front
- dual prong rest
- arrows: Redhead 'Carbon Fury'

I did go to my local archery shop to check draw length and they said is was ok.
I am pretty sure part of my problem is torque. I am trying to use a loose grip. I also addressed some things like my stance and making sure my release hand is in alignment with my draw. This seems to be helping. I can hit a 2 inch circle about half the time. It is just the occasional 'flyer' that I am concerned about.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Im about to give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.