Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Im about to give up >

Im about to give up

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Im about to give up

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Im about to give up

Over the past 3 years my shooting has steadily improved (mostly thanks to tips from this web site). However, I just cannot get the consistency I want. Most of the time I can get a 5 inch group at 20 yards (and sometimes MUCH better), however too often I will shoot wide (either right or left) 3 or more inches. I believe I am doing something with my bow arm that is hard to figure out. It seems that I have tension in my shoulder that makes the shot go one way or the other.

I think my form is good like in the Randy Ulmer video. I have a consistent anchor, consistent grip, and I rotate my shoulder down so that it is locked. It just seems there is something I am doing that has to be just perfect or I mess up. This seems to happen more often when I am tired from shooting, but it sometimes happens even at the beginning of a shooting session.

Is there something I can do to minimize this? Do I need to shorten (or lengthen) my draw length? My anchor is my ear. Sometimes (not too often), the string will slap my forearm... which would probably indicate my grip is wrong.. but I have experimented with loose and firm grips. I havent tried adjusting draw length because I dont have a bow press.. but will rig something up if anyone thinks this is worth a try.

Because of consistency issues, I dont bow hunt too often. When I do, I make sure to set up for a close shot within 20 yrds. I really want to figure this out because I want to be a great archer.

Thanks for any info
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Im about to give up

Can you post a picture of yourself at full draw? This may help us figure out whats going wrong. Another option may be to hire a shooting coach for a short time to work out any issues
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Add your bow info ie draw length, brand ofbow, type of release, draw weight, and anything thing else you thaink might help! Maybe these guys can give you a starting place.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

^very good ideas. what kind of bow/setup do you shoot with. Definately take a picture of yourself shooting and we will try and help you out.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Can you post a picture of yourself at full draw? This may help us figure out whats going wrong. Another option may be to hire a shooting coach for a short time to work out any issues
I agree with Greg, without seeing what you're doing it's just a guessing game. At twenty yards you ought to be stacking them.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

If your string is slapping your arm, that can be as sign that your draw length is too long. Not written in stone by any means, but that could be part of the problem.

But don't give up. Lots of the guys on here will be willing to help you. I also would suggest you post a picture of yourself at full draw. A shooting coach is also a great idea. Also the guys down at the local bow shop can very vety helpful in pointing out what you're doing wrong.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Stop trying to hit a target! Go back to the basics and really teach yourself how to shoot all over again by not trying to hit a spot. First, make sure the bow fits you properly. Next, get close, close your eyes and focus on executing a perfect shot until it comes naturally. Then do it with your eyes open. Then move back and finally after a couple months of this you can start shooting at spots again, drilling every single shot at 10 yards before moving back to 15 and then 20... but always with the focus of executing the perfect shot and not on where the arrow is going.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

My anchor is my ear. Sometimes (not too often), the string will slap my forearm...
I am no expert, but it sounds like your draw length is to long. I would suggest a reputable bow shop to help. I am still shooting 20+ year old Browning bow and most of my arrows touch at 20 yds. If you can get all the info for the guys around here, they will sure enough be able to help ya out. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Get us a pic dude. I'm going to suspect that your DL could be to long, and you need to work on proper shot execution and follow through, not just form. The 2 are related, but also different. You could have perfect form, but if you're hammering that trigger and hoping to hit the dot, it aint' gonna work.

When you say 3 years, do you mean 3 years as in "all year 'round" or 3 years as in "3 summers before deer season". Good shooting takes a year round dedicated effort. But 5" groups at 20 yards, someting is wrong someplace, and we'll help you all we can! So give us more info bub !!

Don't give up. You asked for help, so that tells me you're interested in learning.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

After the shot, does your bow arm stay steady or is the bow moving. In other words, your bow arm should be rock solid after the shot just as before.

Quick Reply: Im about to give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.