HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Refletching and building arrows question. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/267868-refletching-building-arrows-question.html)

peregordusmc 10-13-2008 01:26 PM

Refletching and building arrows question.

I have been thinking about getting into building my own arrows to experiment with different types of arrows and weights etc. For those that do this or work in a pro shop and do this type of work can you give me some advice on different jigs for fletching, different adhesives to use and any other advice that you think someone going to do this should know. Also different saws to look at for cutting my arrow shafts. I will be mostly playing around with carbon arrows and see that there are different blades for cutting carbon vs aluminum. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

txjourneyman 10-13-2008 01:57 PM

RE: Refletching and building arrows question.

IMHO the best jig on the market is a Bitzenberger. I had a Jo-Jan Multifletch and gave it away after buying a Bitz. It costs a bit more but will last a lifetime. It is easily adjustable and that is important to me since I use several different size shafts. It depends on what bow and what I'm doing, hunting, 3-D, compound or traditional, carbon or aluminum. The Bitz is they way to go.
As far as glue goes I have tried several and my personal preference is Loc-Tite super glue Gel. The kind that is rubberized. It sticks to anything, is very durable, and I can buy it at Lowe's for cheap!
for a saw I got a cheap mini cut off saw from Harbour Frieght.

Mobobender 10-13-2008 02:33 PM

Don't forget a good cleaning solution, something like denatured alcohol.

m9a9g9i9c 10-13-2008 02:35 PM

Bitz works best, I use goattuff glue and blazers, winning combo.
some tips;
clean you shafts and not the base of the vanes.
if you use carbon arrows, wraps will protect it when you want to refletch it.
other tool you should get is a G5 arrow squaring tool when you're done cutting your arrows.
I made my own arrowsaw with a dremel, a wooden board with an L-shaped aluminium rod to hold and turn the arrow in.

F.

Warden41272 10-13-2008 03:28 PM

I use a Bitzenburger for 4" vanes and feathers. I use an Arizona EZ Fletch (both jigs with right helical) for the 2" Blazer and Predator vanes. Goat-Tuff and Steel Bond glues.

MOHUNTER1977 10-13-2008 03:55 PM

buy bare shafts and the quickspin fletchings that you dip in hot water and they adhere to the shaft like heat shrink tubing. They come in 4 inch and blazer style 2 inch vanes so much easier than glue and a fletching jig.

peregordusmc 10-15-2008 12:49 PM

Thanks guys. Anymore input out there?