Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BOW NOISE

Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Default BOW NOISE

Hey all i have a 2007 Martin Bengal bow. Its a good bow shoots straight and all that but now i have a noise issue with it. It orginally came with bowjacks string tamers and they were junk and broke off. I put the Primos little string bats on there and now it seems like it makes a thunk when i shoot. My string is badly worn because i shoot alot. My question is should i try a differnt set of silencers or could my loose string be causing the "thunk" im hearing. I shot a deer yesterday with it and he didnt jump the string or anything but the noise is pretty annoying. I have a sims s coil stabilizer on it now there isnt a ton of hand shock but the noise has increased since i bought the bow. I have checked everything(screws, quiver, and all that) I need some help thanks.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOW NOISE

You said your string is worn, maybe it's time for a new one.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:09 PM

yeah thats what im wondering will a worn string cause to much noise? but yeah your right i do need a new string and plan on getting one soon but should i check anything else?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you buy this bow new? If you did, did it make the noise then? If it didn't make the noise when it was new then it could be the string. Also make sure all screws are tight.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Even though your quiver may seem snug you will be surprised to find out how much quieter it is without it on. I shoot a Martin Jaguar and it is whisper quiet with the S-Coil and Simms Limb vibration dampeners, but when i shoot with the quiver on it is very loud.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are like most people you didn't measure anything or do other checks when the bow was new. What most likely has happened is that the string has crept. Most people say stretched, but that's not the right word. Anyway, if the string creeps then the cam gets over rotated and this can cause some excessive noise.

How to tell if the cam is over rotated? Where the string leaves the cam there should be about 3/8" of groove showing. And look for this after you get the bow back into specs for A2A and brace height.

For now, I'd just live with it and take care of the problem after the hunting season is over. Once you get new rigging and get the bow back to specs it's probably going to need retuned anyway.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher
For now, I'd just live with it and take care of the problem after the hunting season is over. Once you get new rigging and get the bow back to specs it's probably going to need retuned anyway.
I agree, unless you're some kind of tuning wizard that can slap on some pre-loaded (stretched) cables and string and have her tuned in a couple hours of shooting. There's going to be a backlog to get decent strings and cables this time of year anyway. (See BuckNasty Strings aka Gibblet on here or Vapor Trail.)