Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shooting 370+ out of a High Country??? >

Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

Old 03-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

The local shop owner was having a indoor 3d shoot, and my cousin was shooting, so I decided to head up there to talk to him, anyways we got talking and the shop owner said he was a guy with his own eyes shooting 370+ out of a hunting setup bow..... is this possible?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Shooting 370+ out of a High Country???

Koontzy,

That speed is easily possible, but, what he didn' t tell you is the grain per inch of arrow weight the guy is shooting and how incredibly dangerous it is. High Country has come out with there " indestructable" bows. They advertise that you can shoot any weigh arrow and the bow won' t break. I have heard at the AMO show, they were bragging about this and put one of there bows in a machine to dry fire it, well, BOOM, it blew up.

So, the guy is shooting an under-weight arrow, but not according to High Country. He is probablly shooting in the mid 2-3 grains per pound. Which is ridiculously low. As IBO goes, 5 grains per pound is the minimum, and most hunters want to stay at atleast 6 grains per pound or high.

My hunting rig now will be shooting 425.4 grain arrows. And, I will be getting speeds around 280-285 f.p.s. with everything on the bow. I will also be making roughly 87 pounds of KE and will have enough momentum to punch a hole through a concrete wall. This guy, will be probablly be getting a okay amount of KE, but, his momentum will be terrible. A light arrow is easier to stop than a heavier arrow. Think of it this way, if you drop a empty pop can into you hand, and then a full pop can, which one is going to make your hand move more (or more difficult to stop)?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The local archery shop has a sign out front that reads
" 2003 high countries now in 375-400 fps!!" This guy is basically lost when it comes to modern archery.
The LAST TIME I talked to him he was trying to push one of these new 400 fps bows on me. When I tried explaining that the posted speed was not the IBO standard of 5 grains per pound, he replied " ya, 5 grains per inch!!" I didn' t feel like getting into another useless argument with him so I just politely ended the call. 5 grains per inch x 30 inch arrow= 150 grain arrow= toothpick.
What he doesn' t realize is that I was wanting to order a different bow from him and if he' d kept his " knowledge" to himself he' d made some money. After the previous conversation I just can' t even bring myself to visit his shop anymore.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:26 PM

I' m getting better than 300fps from BowTech Extreme Solo at 60 lbs 29 inch draw, at 304grains with a 5.6inch brace height and it blows through a deer like you wouldn' t believe. High Country blowed a bow up at the AMO trying to shoot a 3 grain per pound arrow out of 70lbs+ bow, now that was real smart to do at a show.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 PM

I punched some numbers at jacksons just for the fun of it. What can I say, I get bored. Not enough k.e. gain from 400 to 300 to warrent it anyway.I think you have to get up around 800 f.p.s. before a deer cant string jump at 20, so that doesnt matter. Correct me on that if Im off, but I think Ive read that number somewhere. It may even be faster than that, but thats the number that jumps out at me. As far as arrow drop if you could find the guru who could tune f.b. b.hds. to fly at 400 the 12 inches of arrow drop difference at fourty might be worth it. Then again, if your bow explodes every other shot it would be cheaper to buy the range finder. Yeah, range finder makes more sense. Two or three limbs exploding upside your head, and youll probably be looking for another hobby anyway. Fruit of the Loom stock would definately take a rise. Robinson labs would most definately have to come out with scentlock undies, so as not to offend others in your hunting party. " Hey Frank, smells like another limb let go." Hey Mathews gives a keychain, hat , and sticker with each new bow. High Country could give charcoal underwear, handi wipes, and two free therapy sessions at the therapist of your choice if this bow sells. Yessir, range finder might be a better choice.

400 f.p.s. 70 lbs. at 3 grns. per pnd. = 210 grns. 74 lbs. of k.e. arrow drop at 20 yds.---- 5 inches. at 30yds.---- 11 inches. at 40yds.--- 20 inches.

350 f.p.s. 70 lbs. at 4 grns. per pnd. = 280 grns. 76 lbs of ke. arrow drop at 20 yds. 6 inches----at 30 yds.---14 inches. at 40 yds.----25 inches.

300 f.p.s.70 lbs. at 5 grns. per pnd=350 grns. 70 lbs. of ke. arrow drop at 20 yds.--- 8 inches, at 30yds.---- 18 inches, at 40 yds.----32 inches.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two or three limbs exploding upside your head, and youll probably be looking for another hobby anyway. Fruit of the Loom stock would definately take a rise. Robinson labs would most definately have to come out with scentlock undies, so as not to offend others in your hunting party. " Hey Frank, smells like another limb let go." Hey Mathews gives a keychain, hat , and sticker with each new bow. High Country could give charcoal underwear, handi wipes, and two free therapy sessions at the therapist of your choice if this bow sells. Yessir, range finder might be a better choice.
Absolutely friggin hysterical

Old 03-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Soooo, would anyone care to buy one of these new " wunderbows" and shoot it for a few months at 3 grains per pound just for the heck of it?

Going once?

Going twice?

.....?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:19 AM

Real nice Fletchead... I peed on my moniter laughing!

Being a relative necomer to the sport I had thought hat High Country made some pretty good bows. I still believe they did and maybe do....but this whole marketing campaign reeks of desperation for increased market share and common sense and gut feeling tells me to shy away from their stuff for my health firstly and warranty and customer service issues secondly.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:16 PM

Hell, I could get 400 out of my UT if I was shooting 3.5 per pound and frankly I would trust my hoyt to handel it before I would a High Country.