HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Bow String Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/266720-bow-string-question.html)

Crowkilla 10-06-2008 03:09 PM

Bow String Question

I have noticed that the serving (please pardon my terminology if I'm calling it the wrong name) on the portion of the string that runs along the cam when the bow is at rest is becomming seperated. I am starting to see spaces between the strings of the serving as much as 2/16".

My questions are: Is this an issue? Does this indicate that my string has stretched? If so, how should I go about getting this repaired or is it even something to worry about? Should I have the string replaced or should I twist it?

Some general info if it matters -I bought the bow new in August of this year. It is a BowTech Guardian, 70 lb, 29" draw. I shoot pretty regularly. I'd say I'd say I haveaveraged between50 and 80 shots three to five nights a week since I purchased the bow.I can put a picture up later when I get home if you'd like to see one.

Thanks

98Redline 10-06-2008 03:15 PM

RE: Bow String Question

Serving speeration around the cam is pretty common with factory strings after an initial break in period.

Chances are that your string and/or cables have stretched and while your bow may shoot fine, it is not at the optimal specs.
My understanding is that the stock bowtech strings are pretty well made (they might actually be Vapor Trail).
Go to your local pro shop and get them to check the bow tuning for you and make sure your bow is still shooting within spec (ATA, draw weight and letoff).
Most likely all that needs to be done is to twist up the string amd/or cables some to get the bow back into spec. From then on, your cables should be pretty stable.

One technique for keeping tabs on your tuning is to use a pencil and draw a line across the cams, along the limb, both above and below the limb. Every now and then, check that the mark is still in the same place. If it moves, you know that the string or cables are moving and it is time to check them again.

Crowkilla 10-06-2008 04:15 PM

That's great advice. Thank you.

I have one more question now. My local bow shop, the only BowTech dealer around,is a great shop and I have always gotten great advice there. However, the guy makes his own strings and heswears they're great. If it looks like I need a new string, would you suggest I order one from Vapor Trail or buy one from the guy at the shop? I guess what I'm getting at is are custom bow strings as reliable as what I would receive directly from Vapor Trail?

archer 2 10-06-2008 05:29 PM

There really isnt a way to answer your last question . Too many unknowns , for instance does he have the string under tension (300 lbs) while he is doing the serving.

Crowkilla 10-07-2008 08:53 AM

I have no idea how he makes the string or if he uses that much tension. I have just seen his string making room and it looks like a textile mill. I can see why that would be a hard question to answer.

I think I'll just order a string. Do any of you have any experience with Vapor Trail, Winner's Choice, or Giblet Strings? If so, will you please share. I keep hearing a lot about Giblet Strings, but I can't find how to get ahold of them. Do any of you have their website or contact info? I'd like to learn more about them before I purchase anything.

BGfisher 10-07-2008 09:10 AM

Your terminology is OK. Serving is what it is.

There are a couple of things that cause serving to separate. One might be that the string wasn't under tension when served or the serving wasn't tight enough. If the string wasn't under enough tension then it will creep (elongate) when put under the stress of the bow. In either case you'll find it quite common (not normal) for it to separate where it rolls over the sharpest part of the module. This especailly true for single cam bows.

I've seen and had lots of strings have their serving separate at the module and it can be pretty bad at times. It's usually due to serving compressing and slipping, usually in the direction ofthe end loop. All string do creep, but not so much as the separation would indicate. I've seen serving separate over an inch and am here to tell you that no string creeps an inch or more in that short of a distance---what?, maybe 6"? Ain't happening.

I've heard pretty good reviews about Bowtech strings so won't bash them. Maybe you just got one of ones that wasn't quite up to snuff. What I would do is try having it reserved by someone who knows what they are doing. The cost shouldn't be that bad. If that doesn't work or suit yuou then a good set of Gibblet strings should definitely do the trick. I've had good luck with Winner's Choice, too, but Gibblet makes just as good a string at nearly half the cost.

tnx3102 11-05-2008 08:44 PM

well, i have the same problem with my bow. but now i want to know how to reserv the serving while the string and cam are so close to each other. do i just go over the old serving? if i do, the serving there will be bigger and wider! any help on this? i fixed the problem why the serving was coming off...

archer 2 11-06-2008 09:16 AM

TNX3102, are you talking about the center serving? No you cant serve right over top , you have to take the old serving off first. If you are talking about the serving that goes around the cam then you are going to have to take the string off to reserve it. Here is a video showing how to reserve the center serving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MfjJtX-8pA&feature=related

BGfisher 11-06-2008 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: tnx3102

well, i have the same problem with my bow. but now i want to know how to reserv the serving while the string and cam are so close to each other. do i just go over the old serving? if i do, the serving there will be bigger and wider! any help on this? i fixed the problem why the serving was coming off...
Can't just serve over the old serving. You have to remove the string from the bow and stretch the string out and keep it under tension while reserving. And when applying the serving it needs to be tight as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to add a half dozen or more twists to the string first, too.

In a pinch, without removing the string you can work the tag end of the serving loose and rewrap it yourself---as tightly as you can. You just need to learn how to finish the tag end, which I can't explain too well here