Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 bow poundage question >

bow poundage question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow poundage question

Old 10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default bow poundage question

i have a 07 BT Tomkat, 60# 27.5DL, my question is will my bow perform better or worse if i increase the poundage by cranking down on the limb bolts....

thanks
jeremy
Old 10-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Default RE: bow poundage question

what really dictates the answer to your question is what will change on your bow. If you are unable to hold it back for a proper shot, it will decrease performance. If the increase in poundage makes your arrows under spined, then it will decrease performance.

You should define performance. When you say increased performance, do you mean a faster arrow, tighter groups, flatter trajectory, more KE or what?

hope this helps
Old 10-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Spike

thanks for the info sngehl01 sorry for being so broad on the subject. i figured the speed would increase a little but the other stuff that you mentioned is what i was concerned about ie trajectory,KE, and other things like that.

thanks again
jeremy
Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

In general, you will not be able to comfortably add enough draw weight to increase your speed any significant amount.

While many get hung up in the speed and KE game the simple fact is that if you don't shoot it well, the extra speed and KE is not worth a darn.
Pick a weight that is comfortable to you and that you are able to draw, hold and shoot well. You will be far better served with a slightly slower but accurate arrow than a blazing fast one that is off the mark (gut shot is gut shot regardless of you have 45 ft-lbs of KE or 80)
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Spike

thanks for the info 98Redline ill keep that in mind when deciding if i want to increase my poundage
thanks again
Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

In general, you will not be able to comfortably add enough draw weight to increase your speed any significant amount.

While many get hung up in the speed and KE game the simple fact is that if you don't shoot it well, the extra speed and KE is not worth a darn.
Pick a weight that is comfortable to you and that you are able to draw, hold and shoot well. You will be far better served with a slightly slower but accurate arrow than a blazing fast one that is off the mark (gut shot is gut shot regardless of you have 45 ft-lbs of KE or 80)
good comment. that is why im selling my general this year for a 60# admiral. i love the general and everythhing about it, but pulling a maxed out 70# bow shooting almost everyday, 3d's, and hunting, wears your arm and shoulder out. i plan on the admiral at 60# being right at the same speed as the general is now (276) which is plenty fast, and i wont get fatigued as easy
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Almost every bow will have better performance the closer the limbs are to be bottomed. In this case performance meaning more efficient. However, the increase in efficiency isn't as much as people think. Maybe a percentage point or less. Sure, the higher the weight with a given arrow the faster that arrow will fly, but as mentioned if your arrows become underspined for that weight you'll just end up with a faster, less accurate arrow.

Performance is usually referred to as speed, but speed can be had with any bow at any poundage. For instance, if you shoot 70# and a 350gr arrow you'll get a given speed. Take that same bow with 60# limbs and a 300gr arrow, set up the very same, and it should be very comparable in speed to the heavier drawing bow.

Yes, you'll give up some KE if it's a hunting setup, but outright speed is not really necessary for hunting. I've done some testing with one bow and at 35 yards there's only about 2" of change in impact with the same arrow being shot at 290 fps (60#)vs 305fps (65#). The difference would be even less at closer, more normal hunting distances.

Also to be considered, and already mentioned, is how well you handle the weight. I don't care how big and strong you may be, it's proven time and time again that lighter weight bow can be shot more accurately. This is simply because you can work on improving form and not just draw, aim, and shoot.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's my opinion that a given bow's efficiency will be at it's best when the limbs are bottomed out. Also,when they are bottomed out,they're solid-thus eliminating moving parts-less chance for movement at pockets. However from your post it sounds like you may want to trade for a slightly lower poundage bow to comfortably shoot it under all conditions. When I ordered my newest mathews,I went with 60# limbs so that the limbs would be bottomed at weight my old shoulders could take. It's harder to draw your bow when in awkward position such as in treestand and/or bundled up than it is at range or practicing.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Spike

thanks for the great info guys probably not going to do anything this season being it starts next wednesday... cant wait to get started. then i will look into making any changes or not..thanks again

jeremy
Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the spine of the arrow you are shooting

A bow with its limb bolts turned all the way in is no more accurate than a bow with its limb bolts out a couple turns , in fact with them out it will be more accurate if the arrow you are shooting is under spined .

It might be very slightly quieter or it might make no difference at all , it depends on the model , and what type of limb attachment system the manufacture uses , and other variables .

Quick Reply: bow poundage question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.