HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Bow sights wont line up. any help?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/266382-bow-sights-wont-line-up-any-help.html)

fossbow 10-04-2008 04:17 PM

Bow sights wont line up. any help??

i just got a high country stilletto 380 and im having the hardest time tuning the thing. cam timing is perfect as is tiller and center shot and still have problems getting it to stop fishtailing. the odd thing is that the sights will not line up with the string and the rest. i have to move my sights to the left of center to get my arrow to shoot where i aim. and its not just a little bit i have to move it, its a about a foot to the left at 25 yards. with field points this isnt too much of a problem cause it i can consistently hit a 3 inch circle at 30 yards all day long, but as soon as you try broadheads theyshoot totally different. i paper tuned it the other day and found that moving my rest to left of center shot seemed to get the arrows to shoot alot closer to bulletholes but still not perfect. Theres no fletching contact anywhere either. i completely dumbfounded on this one! what bothers me the most is the deal with the sights not lining up. ive owned 4 different bows over the course of the last 13 years of bowhunting not to mention knowing a lot of people with other bows and have never heard of this problem with a bow that is properly tuned. is it cam lean? twisted limbs? whats the deal??? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roskoe 10-05-2008 11:01 AM

RE: Bow sights wont line up. any help??

Sounds like you might have a clearance problem of some sort. Have you ever used the powdered foot spray technique to see if the fletchings are contacting anything? How is your arrow spine?

fossbow 10-05-2008 12:10 PM

yeah i've tried the foot spray, theres no contact anywhere. my arrows are the high country speed pro max 6.2 gpi which are extremely stiff but it shoots the same with my buddy's gold tip 5060and a bunch of other random arrows i have laying around. my only guess on this is possibly cam lean or just a bad limb. because this is a twin cam bow you cant really take any cam lean or limb twist out of it. my last bow was a HCA triple S and having dealt with the people at the HCA factory, i can tell you they are f-ing morons. i heard that they had pulled their head out their @$! and had fixed alot of their quality control problems with the latest bows but now im thinking not. my top limb does look like its got a slight twist to it, (at least it looks like it to me) so thats what i was thinking was causing the arrow to shoot all weird. Im half afraid to send it back to the factory for fear i might get it back with the wrong limb on it,(which is what happened with my triple S!!) but if thats what i have to do, so be it. ive just never heard of the sights not lining up like that before and thats why im puzzled on this.

sngehl01 10-05-2008 04:20 PM

could bow torque be a possible problem here?

fossbow 10-05-2008 07:16 PM

i dont think so, but i could be wrong. i try to have a nice relaxed hold on the grip so it naturally settles into a untorqued position but i guess if the grip is offset a little that could make a difference. ive had a couple different people shoot it and it didnt shoot any different for them. hard to say.

SwampCollie 10-05-2008 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: fossbow

my arrows are the high country speed pro max 6.2 gpi which are extremely stiff but it shoots the same with my buddy's gold tip 5060 and a bunch of other random arrows i have laying around.
I've got an 07 HCA Iron Mace.... and when I read your first post... the first thing I thought was your arrows were probably weak. If you are shooting the speed pro max's then I guess that isn't the case really, because they are extremely stiff. I haven't messed with them much myself, I use the mace to fling super heavy arrows at normal hunting speeds. Most folks are shooting about 280 or so with 380-420gr arrows.. I am shooting 280 with a 475gr arrow.... at 61#s.

The gold tip 5575s are going to be WAY weak... unless your arrow length is under 27" and you are drawing less than 60#s. I had issues, not major and not to the tune of a foot at 20 yards, with arrows last season... I was shooting 400s and 3-49 ACCs... weak spine.... went to 340 Axis with a 125gr head..... beautiful flight... dead nuts accuracy.

Here is what I would try.... get everything back to square one.... check the nock height (I set mine 1/8" high), get the center shot back in square, bottom the limb bolts out and then back them off evenly... and take 1/4 to 1/2 turn out of the top one only.... (see the dynamic tiller tuning sticky... it works) ....... then I would first monkey with a couple different field point weights on that pro max. If you have any super stiff arrows (not super light) laying around, you might want to try those out. Use a couple different field points... see what happens.

Now, as far as your sights are concerned... are you just stressing because they aren't in a perfect line with the string? Thats not a big deal... move the sights.... if you shoot with both eyes open and are right handed... then SHOULD be to the left of the string and the arrow as it sits at brace with an arrow nocked. Don't worry about where the sights are... just worry about how it performs.

SwampCollie 10-05-2008 08:05 PM

Also... I noticed that my Iron Mace was extremely grip critical. There are plenty of different holds that will work... but you HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO be consistant... switch from a low wrist to a locked wrist to a dead palm and you'll have a triangle about 4x4x4 at 25 yards. My advice is to use a grip that you can get consistant EVERY SINGLE TIME. I shoot low wrist and pull into my palm... comfortable and consistant. Good luck.