. My question is, I can shoot using 1 pin from 10 to 45 yards and I love that, I get more penetration the further I move back which I am happy for, but why is..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow penetration question >

Arrow penetration question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow penetration question

Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow penetration question

Ok I just got my new bow, thePearson listed below, and I am loving this bow so far . My question is, I can shoot using 1 pin from 10 to 45 yards and I love that, I get more penetration the further I move back which I am happy for, but why is this???? I have only shot as far back as 45 yards at this point. I normaly would not take a shot any further than 40 with my old bow,but with this new bow I think I could take a longer shot if need be. Im still not sure if I ever would, and all my setups in the woods I dont have to shoot that far anyway.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow penetration question

There can be a number of factors that cause penetration to differ at different yardages.

The first and foremost is bow tuning.
A bow that is not in tune will cause arrow fishtailing, porpising and/or corkscrewing as the arrow leaves the bow. The farther the arrow flys, the more time the fletching has to do it's job and straighten out the arrow flight. After about 40 yards, your arrow should be flying completely straight and true, leading to better penetration.

The other factor is the target you are shooting into. Depending on the target composition and the surface of the arrow shaft, higher entry speeds cause more friction and may heat up the target material making it sticky and tacky , increasing friction which correlates to shorter stopping distances (less penetration).
When I shoot McKenzie 3D targets from inside 30 yards the target material actually melts to my arrow shaft and stays there after I pull the arrow out. I end up having to scratch it off with a fingernail. Beyond 30 the problem is not as prevalent.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arrows seam to fly the same, from what I can see anyway. Nice and true. I'm glad they are penetrating as much as they are at the further away distances, makes me a little more comfortable with this newbow at the 30 to 40 yard shots knowing it will penetrate that much. Thanks for the input, very well put.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:43 PM

I can just about guarantee you that your arrows are entering the target at a slight angle for the closer distances; whereas they straighten up flytruer at long distance. How much time have you spent tuning your bow? Ever bare shaft tune?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Roskoe I think your right on your thoughts. I always can remember the old days with recurved bows and aluminums arrows most bowhunters wouldtell and seeing it happen myself. If a deerwas at 10 yards and one at 20 yards you get more penetration at20 than at 10 yardsbecause are old recurved bows where not center shot, using finger and the aluminum arrow would be trying to straighten out to as much as 10 yards. If your nock is not straight be hind the point your going to lose energy.If the arrow is still in a bend from the shot are bendson impact your going to lose energy on the hit. V8RangerI think you should look into tuning you bow better.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points all.... very very good. Totally agree.