Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 My bow has slowed down for some reason >

My bow has slowed down for some reason

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My bow has slowed down for some reason

Old 09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My bow has slowed down for some reason

Was shooting the other day and i started shooting low all of a sudden, about 4-5 inches low. I can't figure out why it's shooting low. I looked over everthing and made sure everything was tight and it was. It still shoots good and as smooth as can be but it just seemed like it has slowed down. Im not worried about speed, just worried why it slower all of a sudden. Any help would be greatlyappriciated
Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Default RE: My bow has slowed down for some reason

Are you sure it slowed down? I would say, more likely, a sudden drop is something related to the nocking point, peep, sight, or rest. A gradual drop is more likely to be string stretch, which could very likely be accompanied by a loss in velocity.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 PM

If you've actually put it through the chronograph and seen a drop with no other changes, it's likely that the cables have elongated but I doubt you're going to notice that change without a chronograph. You can verify if that happened by checking the poundage for a drop as well. To correct it just twist the cables up to get the weight back.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Are you sure it slowed down?
I figured it slowed down b/c after resighting the pins were gapped WAY more that they were before
Old 09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

how olds the bow? Still breaking in? Did you add anything to the string? You said you had to move all the pins farther apart so that would probably rule out the nock, rest, and peep moving. As the others said, sounds like maybe the strings stretching with use?

If the peep or rest moved everything should still be dead on for all the pins, just have to move the whole site. Check to make sure the arrow/vanes arent hitting anything, but with the limb driver that shouldnt be a issue
Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazyfarmer

how olds the bow? Still breaking in? Did you add anything to the string? You said you had to move all the pins farther apart so that would probably rule out the nock, rest, and peep moving. As the others said, sounds like maybe the strings stretching with use?

If the peep or rest moved everything should still be dead on for all the pins, just have to move the whole site. Check to make sure the arrow/vanes arent hitting anything, but with the limb driver that shouldnt be a issue
I bought it brand newback in thespring before turkey season. I shot it some then but it sat in its case most of the summer. But i have shot it alot between the middle of august to now. And no i didn't add anything to the string and from the best i can tell my vanes arent hitting anything
Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Are you sure it slowed down?
I figured it slowed down b/c after resighting the pins were gapped WAY more that they were before

There is no way it slowed down enough to change pin gap. There is something else going on such as bow tune.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got done shooting and past 20 yards i started grouping high. i moved my pins back up and now they are close to where they were. i don't know why all of this happened but hopefully this is where the pins will stay and i can go back to having fun while im shooting and goback to killing deer.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Are you shooting outside? Paying attention to wind direction and speed? I practice from my garage roof and the other day shooting I had similar results as described except I knew why. 15-25 MPH winds blowing dead in my face was dropping my fletched arrows about 4-8 inches @ 25 yards but my FOB arrows were grouping about 2" low. Wind turned around the next day and shooting with the wind my Blazers were hitting high, FOB's good....go to the indoor range and everything is perfect. You can hit certain gusts of air that can really mess with you.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 PM

If your finding your groups going up and down from day to day it could be an issue with form. You could be dropping your arm or changing your grip. More heel pressure will kick your arrows up while pressure at the top of the grip would cause you to shoot lower.

Next time shooting try changing the amount of pressure, say at the heel, and see what happens.

To test your form you can shoot through paper. If your form is identical each time your tears with the same arrow will be identical.

Quick Reply: My bow has slowed down for some reason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.