Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Mathews Gurus:  What's wrong here? >

Mathews Gurus: What's wrong here?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews Gurus: What's wrong here?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Mathews Gurus: What's wrong here?

I have a 2005 Mathews Outback. With everything in spec, including the idler wheel lean, and the bow paper tuned; the arrow rest is only .660" away from the sight window shelf. COC broadheads hit about 1.5" left of field points. But if I move the rest to the right, the 2" Blazers will contact the sight window shelf. Most Mathews bows I have seen previously tune about right with the arrow rest about .780" from the the sight window shelf. Anything I should be looking at, in terms of what could be the issue with this particular bow?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mathews Gurus: What's wrong here?

It's a Mathews..sorry I couldn't help myself.. Why would you move the rest, wouldn't that put your center shot off? I'm not familar with that rest, but sounds like a rest problem.. But then you knew that.[:@]
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

you should of never moved the rest, I would of moved the sight just a tad.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually move the rest a tad when i can. I prefer not to move the sight because the way the bow is set up now, when i draw back with my eyes closed and then open my eyes the kisser is in the right place and the sight housing is perfectly lined with the peep. I'd hate to change that so i also will move my rest just a littleto adjust for that 1-2 inches

Roskoe, that being said, I'm not certain how to make that work without moving the sights rather than the rest
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Let me apologize for not explaining this better. The rest was moved in closer to the sight window to get the bow to paper tune. (Arrows are spined right on the money). Based on the tear, and the fact that fixed blade broadheads still hit a little left of field points; the rest actually needs to go a little closer yet to the sight window. But I am about as close as I can get without risking contact from the 2"Blazer veins. I guess I could just switch to the lower profile 4" Duraveins. Never had this problem with any of my Hoyts -this is my first Mathews.

Yes, I can just move the sight a little left to zero the fixed blade broadheads. Or just shoot the Rage expandables. And the bow shoots great. I'm just wondering if there isn't some little issue with the bow itself that I am overlooking.

Also, I did try a different rest with the same results.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

The rest shouldn't be that close to the riser.There is a spine issue or a torque issue giving you a good tear in paper.Mathews grips are notorious for torque issues,remove it completely and just put some athletic tape on the riser.

Move the rest out a tad to see if the fixed heads will come in with field points.Backwards I know but sometimes you go to far and have to go the opposite to get them hitting together.I actually did this on my last tune job and it worked.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks, Todd. I was hoping you would weigh in on this one.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Well, I played with this setup over the weekend. Moving the arrow rest to the left made it worse, just like it is supposed to do. So I moved it to the right about as far as I could without a clearance problem with the riser. Still, had fixed BH's hitting about 1.5" to the left of field points and Rage 2 blades.

Got an idea yesterday . . . . I have a1/2 dozen oldA/C SuperSlim arrows that gotcutback to 27.5" awhile back. My normal arrow length is 29" in the Axis series, but I can run shafts as shorts as 27.5 without issue. Since a shorter shaft is stiffer, and often shoots a little left of a weaker spined shaft, I tried these shorter shafts with both field points and Rages. They hit the same spot as the 29" shafts with the G5 COC broadheads. And group very well. Problem appears to be solved.