Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 "Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time."  True??? >

"Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

"Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

We have a "pro shop" like that around here. I will NOT name the place but they do sell just one line of bow. I walk in there with my Hoyt (he used to be a Hoyt dealer) and he tells me what crap it is and I should switch to what he carries now. His is "SOOO much better". The arrows I use he started me on but he doesn't carry them anymore so they are crap and I should buy what he carries nowbecause "they are SOOO much better". Hesells below the set prices from the companies and that is how hestays in business because everyone from many miles comes to him for that brand. It seems to work until they catch up with him and take away his dealer license. Then it starts again.

So remember this "pro" is paid to push what he is given for free. This guy might have sold blazers for a while but someone else offered him more money to push theirs so now blazers are junk. Like many others have said use what works foryou and don't worry about the "pros". They'llbe switching to something elsesoon.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Sorry to hear all the issues with so called "Pros".

I got asked to help during a real booming week last week at one of our local shops. Here is a synopsis of the day.

First thing a guy comes in wanting a a new string on his hoyt. He didn't need a string at all. Did I put one on, YEP. He asked for one because he felt it was time for a new one, his was 5yrs old. I rigged it up, asked if he had seen the newest options in peeps. We put in a Split'r. Took it upstairs and tuned it and told him to bring it back in a couple weeks (before our season) and have it all checked for stretch.

Next woman with a list and a checkbook. We filled the list. I didn't agree with the choice of sights for the money but her husband sent her, she had a list he compiled. Confusing her and possibly sending her home with something else would have caused a fight for her and loss of trust in the shop.

Next Guy with a bow he knew had a higher holding wt. than advertised. The new BowTec was holding way more than his old One Cam HavocTec. WRONG> we put it on a scale 86% letoff. Explained the difference in the wall and that his draw length was a tad shorter as well as the smoothness of the HavocTec cam. We adjusted his draw length and he was happy. No charge.

Next, Guy with a bow that looked like he used it for a cane more than a bow. It was ratted out. The cam had burrs all over it and had cut the string. Got out the files and emmory cloth. New cables and a touch of flat black paint and he was good to go.

Next, Guy couldn't figure out how to attach the quiver or why his arrows were so far to the left on his newBIGSPORTMARTbow he bought that AM. I KID YOU NOT...the rest and quiver bracket were on the INSIDE of the riser. "Dang quiver was in front of the sight" when he put it on. Straightened his stuff out and charged him for the service.

Next Same BigSportStore Crossbow. A cheapy RC150 that sent its one and only shot straight in the air. He said it was put together when he got it.....the cables were ON TOP of the rail. I called them up and reminded them of the boo boo. (didn't tell them about the other bow) and its danger. Charged him for the service.

Fletched a bunch of arrows with short quickspins which is the shops Fletch of choice.

Sold a bunch of arrows and helped guy get his Girlfriend set up with a new Parker Challenger. She went from the sight in targets to the TechnoHunt and SMOKED IT! We got a new gal in the woods!!!

Other odds and ends and I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT> Archery has some great folks but yes there are some ButtHeads out there too.

Hope you don't mind my listing of the day's events, just thought you might like it.

Dryridge.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Pro???? LMAO.

Thats why I quit listing to the "pros" about 20 years ago. They are out to help a particular company sale products. Also, I found some of the "Pros" had less experience and knowledge than I.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Dryridge,
I amsure a day in an archery shop can be very interesting. Sounds like you had tons of fun. I understand that most shops push one type of bow or product over the others, that is why when I bought my bow, I went to a shop that carried a lot of different products. It carried BowTech, Matthews, Hoyt, Browning, and some others. The owner is a super nice guy who set up any bow I wanted to shoot, and I shot them all...no problem. He discussed the pros and cons of each bow and let me make my own decision. I went with the Marquis. Ijust liked the feel of it over the others, including the Drenaline, Katera, and General. Personal preference, all were great bows. That's the kind of shop that does the Archery Community credit. Too bad its 8 1/2 hours away.

Burnie,
I wish I could say the same about my experience. I'm still new to all this (only a few years in) and I have a lot to learn.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Im not a pro i just started with bow stuff. i did fo research when someone said use blazers. on my easton axis arrows i shot 3 with long flech and than i shot blazers the results were the long shot at 250fps than the blazer shot at 270fps. im not sure if everyone get the same results but thats how i broke it down
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: XXXL Bowhunter

Yes, nodog, enlightenment is definately a goal, and I didn't let him know I was put off by his comments. However, if someone who claims to know "everything" about a subject is unwilling to learn or give new technology a chance, how much do you listen to them before you go elsewhere to learn?

Andrew
Can't say specifically but there is something, even if you come to the conclusion your making.

Is he a pro or not? If you don't listen, are you any different than him. So you listen and try what he says and it's a load of crap, you learned something. Try enough things and you'll comer to the conclusion that there are several factors that go into shooting well. They all must add up to X and it doesn't matter how it does as long as it does. His does and yours does, there just different.

Once there you think, they all add up to X but what if they were all equal, what if one wasn't making up for the other. That's a whole different level, one that the "pro" will never reach and neither will you if you become what you dislike, that guy.

Not putting you down just verbalizing a conversatrion I've had with myself when confronted with people that rub me the wrong way.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My small Blazers on my XT Hunters are MUCH better than my old 4" Quikspins. Faster and tighter, w/o a doubt. I use a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can believe that, that's one reason I stay away from prop shops. I have as much fun listening to their advise as I do watching a rookie try to load a boat.... You might tell him that stuff he's smoking is illegal.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: The Rev

I have as much fun listening to their advise as I do watching a rookie try to load a boat....

Don't you let your son load the boat to save yourself some embarassment?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Nodog, I appreciate the sentiments and have been considering what the guy said. In fact, I am considering buyng a new sight b/c of his comments. I see the merit of the fixed pins vs. a single pin sight. I do try to learn from everyone, but sometimes they are just annoying.

Rev, what's so funny about what you said, is the guy will tell you he's loaded up on prescription pain killers...not illegal but same effects. LOL!!!

Quick Reply: "Pro" said: "Blazers a waste of time." True???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.