Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads don't fly right >

Broadheads don't fly right

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads don't fly right

Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default Broadheads don't fly right

I got a new bow this year. A Bowtech Tomkat. I'm shooting 68 lbs, with the factory hostage rest, CX Terminator Lite 6075's, and G5 Montecs. I shot Montecs out of my old bow and they shot just like field tips. With my new bow they don't fly constiently at all. My field points shoot great, but my broadheads are loud and all over the target. At 30 yds, I can see them kind of flylike a corkscrew. Years ago when shooting Muzzys I had to heat my inserts and and line up the vanes with the blades. That was with aluminum arrows. Should I switch to a mechanical? Everyone at work raves about Grim Reapers. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadheads don't fly right

Should I switch to a mechanical?
No they are only going to be a bandaid for your untuned bow.

Tune the bow for your broad heads
Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Vans to blades mad ethe difference for me on my carbon arrows. Same weight, draw and spine as you shoot.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do the arrow spin test fine???? If they do, I'm thinking you may be getting a little fletching contact somewhere. Sure, you can go to a mechanical head, but is that fixing the problem of the untuned bow??? Also, you're losing energy if that arrow is spiraling like that, which is certainly not going to help you any. ST's have flown GREAT for me, as they have from quite a few others, you may look at a different BH for your solution also.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

They could be loud because you new rig is quieter.
If they don't fly well you do have a problem.
I think the BT's require a stiffer spine then the carts recommend.
Needs tuned (that includes possibly a different arrow) and if it wont check the limbs for cracks.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.htmlfollow my link and read though it carefully. You need to get that bow tuned and make sure you arrows are correct as well.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Should I switch to a mechanical?
No they are only going to be a bandaid for your untuned bow.

Tune the bow for your broad heads

TRUE DAT
Old 09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Spike

I tried some grip reapers. They fly quieter and more constistently. I'm still leaning towards trying a new rest. I don't think my hostage rest gives fletching clearance like it claims. I'm getting faint black smudges on my vanes that line up with my rest. I may switch to a drop-away and get it paper tuned.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sparkysteve

I tried some grip reapers. They fly quieter and more constistently. I'm still leaning towards trying a new rest. I don't think my hostage rest gives fletching clearance like it claims. I'm getting faint black smudges on my vanes that line up with my rest. I may switch to a drop-away and get it paper tuned.
Then you my friend have a CONTACT issue!!! Fix this, and then you can start "tuning" your bow!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: sparkysteve

Then you my friend have a CONTACT issue!!! Fix this, and then you can start "tuning" your bow!!!
Good answer, you need to tune your bow! There is no way you should be getting contact with a hostage.

Quick Reply: Broadheads don't fly right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.