Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads don't fly right >

Broadheads don't fly right

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads don't fly right

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Broadheads don't fly right

Same here..couldnt have said it better
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I wish y'all the best of luck.

Crazy where you at in VA? Saw your sig are you a measurer for B&C?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

Crazyfarmer, That was my prob with the slick tricks. When I say they was shooting every. My every is hitting a 6 inch circle instead of a 3 inch circle while I could have killed a deer with them I was not going to take a chance. I am like you when it comes to bows and shooting BH's I want everything perfect.
I was actaully getting good solid 2-3inch groups, but they were just off center of the fieldtips. Nothing a slight adjusment of the scope wouldnt fix. I actaully have 4 arrows in the quiver and 2 have slicks on them and 2 have rage. I use the slicks if I decide to take a doe since the rage heads arent cheap and I like top save them for something big if the chance happens.

swamp, im up on the Northern Neck. I just put that in the sig as a joke But yes I do score deer, just not offically. Im usually within 1inch which helps most get a green score.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazyfarmer

swamp, im up on the Northern Neck. I just put that in the sig as a joke But yes I do score deer, just not offically. Im usually within 1inch which helps most get a green score.

That is a beautiful part of the state. If you ever need one offically scored (B&C)... shoot me a PM. I split time between Richmond and Norfolk.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Spike

Take a look at the post how old is this buck and score under deer hunting...the score most people are giving seems high to me but im no expert.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

Crazyfarmer, That was my prob with the slick tricks. When I say they was shooting every. My every is hitting a 6 inch circle instead of a 3 inch circle while I could have killed a deer with them I was not going to take a chance. I am like you when it comes to bows and shooting BH's I want everything perfect.
TN,
If you're groups are near your FP's, but just wider, then the issue IS the archer very likely. As has been said MANY times, BH's even those little ST's will accentuate form flaws, and make for wider groupings. I have slightly larger groupings as well. FP's are 2.5-3" at 32yds, but BH's are probably closer to 3.5-4." I'm sure much of that is FORM FLAWS, but I'm satisfied with that size group. At 40yds, I'm probably 4-5" w/ BH's where the FP's fly out at usually sub 4" groups, sometimes even sub-3" but sub 4" is about my avg. at 40yds with FP's.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: PAHUNTERR21

If it were as easy as you say he wouldnt be on here. Alot more than adjusting your optics comes into play with bow accuracy.

I think you might have missed the part about moving the rest a little at a time.

The point a lot of us are trying to make here is that it is not adviseable to shoot mechanicals as a quick and easy fix for poor accuracy with broadheads. Truth be told... a solid 75% of bow hunters probably cannot shoot good enough to tell the difference anyway. And perhaps that same 75% probably aren't realistic enough to admit that the problem might just be the person holding the bow. I'll be the first to admit that most folks are reluctant to work on their own equipment, and some that do really shouldn't be, but take it from me.... its not nearly as hard as you think it is.
Swamp,
I disagree about the "realistic" part, a LOT of the time, I think it's more about IGNORANCE than realism. Until I had someone show me how, I did a LOT of things totally WRONG and after error after error playing the trial and error game, I learned to start asking for advice and help. Made a huge difference in a LOT of things in my life, not just archery and bowhunting!!!

I watched some bullheaded Jackhole in WV a couple weeks ago trying to set a bow up, but he was hitting about 3 FEET high with it!!! YES that was 3 FEET high. I offered him a little assistance, but he just wouldn't have it. He had the same sight I had on the bow I was shooting, which could have the base mounted (a Tru-Glo Bright Site Extreme) in a upper or lower setting that would allow for him to move the whole sight window a significant amount, but he WOULD NOT move it. He finally, with the sight window damn near ready to come out of the base because he'd moved it so far, ended up getting within about 15-18" of the bull on the target and said "That's good enough, I'll work on it at home now." I can feel pretty assured that he WON'T be killing anything with that bow this year, or very likely EVER!!! He did accomplishe to LOSE 3 arrow at and indoor range though!!!!!