Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads don't fly right >

Broadheads don't fly right

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads don't fly right

Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads don't fly right

Try slick tricks.. Fly exactly like my field points
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: PAHUNTERR21

Im pretty sure the TN bow season opens up this saturday. The ideas you have are correct but time isnot on his side. No one would want to make changes like your suggesting right before their season opener. If he has the bow looked at and its in tune like he has already told us I would suggest paper tuning andif he cant get the brodheads to fly right after that i would change them. The arrow/bow/shooting style is working for him with fp (3in group 40yds). Why mess around and take the chance of changing so close to the season. I would suggest what your saying if its june but its the end of september!! Im trying to help him for this sat.No one wants to question there set-up on opening day.

TN,
If your not against expandables like many are zero in your field tips throw on a rage and kill a big buck sat!(Then in the off season do what you need to do to shoot what ever brodhead you like.
Pahunter, I am not against expandables and shot some rages last year along with slick tricks also last year. I just can't get it all together this yea. I have been shooting for 4 months now and just espected the ST to be on the money as they where last year. So I didn't put any on until 2 weeks ago. And then that is when the problem started at first the where off at 20 yards. Did a little work here at the house with it then went to the pro shop for extra help and got it dead on at 20. (cam was a 1/16 out of time). Just tired of missing with it and season does start saturday went and bought 2 pacs of Rages today and perfect flight with field points out to 50 yards. So I am going to stick with them until end of season and then go back and try to see if I can figure the ST trouble out. I just prefer fixed blades to expandables but have no trouble shooting expandables. I also like the expandables because they also allow you to have a miss step in your form when excited and still make a excellent shot.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, shooting slick tricks myself... if you can't get a slick trick to fly correctly then you aren't going to get much of anything to fly correctly. As you change the length of your head, you are changing the effective length and balance of your projectile. The longer the head, the greater the difference, all else being equal. If you have any wobble at all... the longer the head, the greater the effect of that wobble.... with that steel Trocar tip.... thats part of why Muzzys are one of the more difficult heads to get perfect flight from. Look at their new designs (the MX line)..... what did they change.... THEY MADE THEM SHORTER.

There isn't much out of my well tuned bow that I cannot get to group well.... gobbler guillotines and those Rocket Buck Blasters being about the only things that come to mind.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly how long will it take to move the rest a little at a time and adjust the sites? It really is not that hard or that time consuming. Get it done. There is plenty of time.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Spike

If it were as easy as you say he wouldnt be on here. Alot more than adjusting your optics and rest comes into play with bow accuracy.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were as easy as you say he wouldnt be on here. Alot more than adjusting your optics comes into play with bow accuracy.

I think you might have missed the part about moving the rest a little at a time.

The point a lot of us are trying to make here is that it is not adviseable to shoot mechanicals as a quick and easy fix for poor accuracy with broadheads. Truth be told... a solid 75% of bow hunters probably cannot shoot good enough to tell the difference anyway. And perhaps that same 75% probably aren't realistic enough to admit that the problem might just be the person holding the bow. I'll be the first to admit that most folks are reluctant to work on their own equipment, and some that do really shouldn't be, but take it from me.... its not nearly as hard as you think it is.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If it were as easy as you say he wouldnt be on here. Alot more than adjusting your optics comes into play with bow accuracy.

I think you might have missed the part about moving the rest a little at a time.

The point a lot of us are trying to make here is that it is not adviseable to shoot mechanicals as a quick and easy fix for poor accuracy with broadheads. Truth be told... a solid 75% of bow hunters probably cannot shoot good enough to tell the difference anyway. And perhaps that same 75% probably aren't realistic enough to admit that the problem might just be the person holding the bow. I'll be the first to admit that most folks are reluctant to work on their own equipment, and some that do really shouldn't be, but take it from me.... its not nearly as hard as you think it is.
Swamp Collie I understand what you are saying but the thing is I have been working on bows since I was 14 yrs old when my old man used to own a pro shop.Even though Iwas out of bow hunting and workin on bows for about9 years I still have a real good understanding on how and what works. I do visit a pro shop and get help on some things Ido not understand aboutsome of these new bows. Like I said in a earlier post my bow is in perfect tune. It can not get any better. And that info is came from 2 pro shops in the area. I have excellent form. Which sometimes I do slip up. But the BH's shouldn't be doing what they are doing. I bought and shot some rages today and had excellent flight in fact touching the field tip arrows out to 45 yards. I also just got through shooting some slick tricks after changing blades to some new ones and putting on new ST that had never been shot into anything and had excellent flight. I don't know if I had some bent blades and some bad tips or what. But i guess I will have both in my quiver this year know. It is always trail and error.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Spike

^Thanks for explaining that im sick ofwaisting my time trying to explain to others my reasoning for what i suggested.

Turns out rest and sight are not the only issues that come into play!

Good luck this year TN
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Swamp Collie I understand what you are saying but the thing is I have been working on bows since I was 14 yrs old when my old man used to own a pro shop.Even though Iwas out of bow hunting and workin on bows for about9 years I still have a real good understanding on how and what works. I do visit a pro shop and get help on some things Ido not understand aboutsome of these new bows. Like I said in a earlier post my bow is in perfect tune. It can not get any better. And that info is came from 2 pro shops in the area. I have excellent form. Which sometimes I do slip up. But the BH's shouldn't be doing what they are doing. I bought and shot some rages today and had excellent flight in fact touching the field tip arrows out to 45 yards. I also just got through shooting some slick tricks after changing blades to some new ones and putting on new ST that had never been shot into anything and had excellent flight. I don't know if I had some bent blades and some bad tips or what. But i guess I will have both in my quiver this year know. It is always trail and error.
samething here... my bows been tuned and looked over because im anal about everything being perfect. But some heads I shoot just group better than others. Slick tricks and Rage were the best 2 heads ive shot. Muzzy, wasp, and spitfires didnt group well for me at all. But im talking 4inch groups at 30 yards instead of 2 inch groups. Slicks hit about 1inch right of my field tip groups and the rage hit exactly where the fieldtips hit. I know tunings a big part, but some people just dont have the time to go to the shop or most dont know how to do it theirself. Same goes for crossbows.. some bheads group extremely well and others are way off. Every setup likes different bheads
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Crazyfarmer, That was my prob with the slick tricks. When I say they was shooting every. My every is hitting a 6 inch circle instead of a 3 inch circle while I could have killed a deer with them I was not going to take a chance. I am like you when it comes to bows and shooting BH's I want everything perfect.

Quick Reply: Broadheads don't fly right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.