Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads don't fly right >

Broadheads don't fly right

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads don't fly right

Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: Broadheads don't fly right

I've been tweaking my nocks a little. A few of them were just slightly off and I think that was giving me my clearance issue.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Spike

I had the same problem with both my bows only i was shooting muzzy's..i made the switch to rage 2-blades..they shoot like field tips with devastating entry holes.

[hr]

07 Bowtech Tribute 70#
Easton Axis N-Fused w/100gr 2-Blade RAGE
Spott Hog Sight
STS string stopper
Trophy Ridge Dropzone Rest
Doinker Stabilizer
294 Fps
Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PAHUNTERR21

I had the same problem with both my bows only i was shooting muzzy's..i made the switch to rage 2-blades..they shoot like field tips with devastating entry holes.
So what you're saying is your bow is still only partially tuned??? Certainly you have plenty of energy behind that arrow that such a "fix" would work for you, but someone with a lower poundage set-up wouldn't get away with that, they'd NEED to TUNE their bow, otherwise they'd be risking not having good penetration. Learn to tune that bow, and you'll end up with better arrow flight with BH's AND FP's!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Spike

At 68lbs i wouldnt consider him shooting a "lower" poundage setupand although he may need to tune his bow mine was recently looked at by my pro shop and paper tuned before i switched to rage's..athough i could have a killed a deer with the muzzy set-up the consistency is much better with rage brodheads in my bowand i havnt heard of them not shooting almost identical to field tips. (should have been more clear i wasnt having the exact problem i just wasnt happy with the consistency between arrows with muzzys)

[hr]

07 Bowtech Tribute 29.5in70#
Easton Axis N-Fused w/100gr 2-Blade RAGE
Spott Hog Sight
STS string stopper
Trophy Ridge Dropzone Rest
Doinker Stabilizer
294 Fps
Old 09-22-2008, 07:23 PM

I am also having trouble with my slick tricks. And before any one says bow tuning it is not that. Because my bow the ATA, Brace height, Cam timing, Cam lean, Everything is dead on. Arrows have been spin tested with broadheads. Arrow spine is correct. I just can't get good flight. It is dead on with broadheads at 20 yards but anything past that is erratic. I can shoot 3 inch circles at 40 yards with field points. so what is the problem.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

I am also having trouble with my slick tricks. And before any one says bow tuning it is not that. Because my bow the ATA, Brace height, Cam timing, Cam lean, Everything is dead on. Arrows have been spin tested with broadheads. Arrow spine is correct. I just can't get good flight. It is dead on with broadheads at 20 yards but anything past that is erratic. I can shoot 3 inch circles at 40 yards with field points. so what is the problem.
TN,
No offense, but the issue may be you. Are you making sure you follow through thoroughly???? Not over-gripping the bow, not torquing it, and certain that you don't have any excessive contact??? I'm shooting 3 different Fixed Blade Heads, and all 3 are flying quite well for me, but I do notice that with the largest bladed head, I do have to concentrate a little more on my follow through to ensure good groups.

PA21,
I'm making that "low poundage" bow statement as a generalization. Not referring to anyone in particular, just noting that your "quick fix" may not necessarily work for a short draw archer that is only pulling 52#'s. The BEST SOLUTION is to put the time into the bow and your form to get everything set-up CORRECT!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Spike

Well I was talking about sparky steves particular issue. Anyways poor brodhead grouping and flight does not neccessarily mean shooter error or an out of tune bow. Some brodheads just wont fly true with certain set-ups(especially with the speed of new bows) and to fix the problem may mean changing your set up drastically and time really isnt on your side right now. If this were to happen to me i would go to my pro shopand make sure im not missing anything stupid like a clearance problem or knocking point..next step i would paper tune and if im not happy with the results im going to look for new brodheads. You may be able to correct the problem over time but i dont think its worth the hasstle especially since its almost october.

Tn- if your not against expandables and you cant get your slick tricks tuned in ask your pro shop if they have a rage 2 blade practice heads sitting around and try it out. I dont think its shooter error if your slick tricks are accurate at 20. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PAHUNTERR21

Well I was talking about sparky steves particular issue. Anyways poor brodhead grouping and flight does not neccessarily mean shooter error or an out of tune bow. Some brodheads just wont fly true with certain set-ups(especially with the speed of new bows) and to fix the problem may mean changing your set up drastically and time really isnt on your side right now. If this were to happen to me i would go to my pro shopand make sure im not missing anything stupid like a clearance problem or knocking point..next step i would paper tune and if im not happy with the results im going to look for new brodheads. You may be able to correct the problem over time but i dont think its worth the hasstle especially since its almost october.

Tn- if your not against expandables and you cant get your slick tricks tuned in ask your pro shop if they have a rage 2 blade practice heads sitting around and try it out. I dont think its shooter error if your slick tricks are accurate at 20. Good luck!
Josh,
If a person cannot get multiple BH's to "fly true," then there IS either a BH, arrow, bow, or shooter problem. Less REALLY old bows, I'm yet to find a bow/arrow/BH set-up that cannot be tweaked to get things pretty close, and I have 3 bows sitting in my "man-room" right now that ARE tuned and shoot 3 DIFFERENT BH's to a similar POI to FP's!!!

You said you couldn't get 2 different bow to shoot where you wanted to, which leads me to believe that either one of 2 things IS TRUE, you couldn't get them tuned "perfectly," or you have a form flaw, or the BH arrow combinations was mismatched to some extent. Trust me, I'm shooting a 50-60# bow and a pair of 70# bows, at DW's of 62, 68, and 72#'s and they are all shooting the SAME arrow to a near same POI as FP's out the 40yds!!!!! Not busting your chops, but it IS possible, but it does take a little finesse, and it takes some tweaking on bow, form, and arrow/tip combinations. There are a LOT of much better bowman than I here, and they are also more than capable of making it happen with multiple set-ups. With Steve's set-up, "YES," he CAN do the Rage, or just about ANY other Mechanical BH and very likely get it done in the woods, but if he CAN tune his bow to shoot a FBH, it WILL in the end be more precisely tuned, and make his shooting better with BOTH FP's AND FBH's!!!! That really cannot be denied.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM

PAPER TUNE!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Spike

Im pretty sure the TN bow season opens up this saturday. The ideas you have are correct but time isnot on his side. No one would want to make changes like your suggesting right before their season opener. If he has the bow looked at and its in tune like he has already told us I would suggest paper tuning andif he cant get the brodheads to fly right after that i would change them. The arrow/bow/shooting style is working for him with fp (3in group 40yds). Why mess around and take the chance of changing so close to the season. I would suggest what your saying if its june but its the end of september!! Im trying to help him for this sat.No one wants to question there set-up on opening day.

TN,
If your not against expandables like many are zero in your field tips throw on a rage and kill a big buck sat!(Then in the off season do what you need to do to shoot what ever brodhead you like.

Quick Reply: Broadheads don't fly right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.